“LA Hotel”

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Ranked #59 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Not a great location. Service varied a lot, depending on the staff member. Rooms were ok.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Checkers02, Director of Sales at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Thank you for your feedback on you recent stay. Although we are disappointed to hear that not all of our staff exhibited the high level of service that we strive to offer.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Checkers Los Angeles

Reviewed 10 February 2012

Yes, this is a "boutique" hotel in an older building. So the room was quite small and oddly configured. The bed was comfortable, but there was very little sitting room. Window opened for fresh air. The exercise room was small but adequate. The valets and front desk were polite and helpful. No problem with reservations or check-in/check-out. We had dinner with friends in the restaurant, and we all enjoyed the meal. We also had a pretty good lunch there. Other than some fun in staying in a somewhat nostalgic building and being within short walking distance to the Disney Concert Hall, thee would be little attraction in returning to this property.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emilio43
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I would say that I had a satisfying stay at the Hilton Checkers only because I was able to obtain a very, very good rate. Had I paid more, I would say that I would have been disappointed in the description of this hotel as "boutique." It seemed like a standard Hilton business hotel once you got inside. My room was clean and the bathroom was spacious. Furnishings were up-to-date. No problems with a/c. The front desk personnel, including the valet, were cordial and welcoming. Check-in was quick and easy. Three things were frustrating, however: 1) I'm not sure what kind of tv system the hotel uses, but there was terrible reception and images on the screen were always breaking up; 2) Valet parking was over $40/night plus tax. 3) The valet directed me to a self-park garage beneath an office building just next door to the hotel. Ample parking there and the overnight charge was $24. While the rate was low, I did not feel safe having to walk down a downtown Los Angeles street at 5:30 am and around the block to get to the entrance to the office building's parking elevators. The building seemed deserted. I saw a security guard at a desk one morning, but not the next day. I'm not sure where I'll stay the next time I have business in Downtown L.A. I had a great rate at the Hilton Checkers, but I really did not like the guest parking options. It may be back to the LAX area for me. Thanks to the nice folks at the Hilton Checkers for good service, though!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2012

This is Hilton's only downtown Los Angeles hotel. It is near the very nice Sheraton and the monumental Westin Bonaventure and its prices are equivalent to theirs. But it is an old, cramped, inadequately renovated property with nothing to recommend it. I had to try three rooms before I found one without an overpowering smell. There's no executive lounge, so Diamond members get a coupon for an unimpressive breakfast in the small dining area off the lobby. Every request or suggestion was met with the weirdly proud assertion that "we don't have/do that because we are a boutique hotel". In this case "boutique" means small and old and not very nice. Stay at the Sheraton or the Westin -- or, if you prefer Hiltons, at the very nice Beverly Hilton a few miles away.

• Stayed: October 2011
Checkers02, Director of Sales at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Thank you taking the time to give us valuable feedback on your recent stay. However, it is disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy the renovation of the hotel that occurred just over 2-years ago or the eucalyptus spray used in our guestrooms. Most guests find the room freshener to be relaxing and enjoyable, however it appears it may have been overused in the guestrooms your were given. I will relay this feedback to our housekeeping department for future guests.

Luckily downtown Los Angeles offer guests many different options, from the over 1000 room Bonaventure to our boutique property. to allow visitors to opportunity to design the perfect stay for their needs.

Reviewed 27 January 2012

I am a Hilton Honors Gold member and have stayed in a plethora of Hilton Hotels throughout the World. The Checkers Hilton in downtown Los Angeles was certainly convenient but I do not view this property as a great representative of the brand. Of course, I knew prior to going it was a Hilton which is trying to assimilate in an old building which likely dates back to the 1920's. This translates into the probability of smaller rooms and may I say, small may not be the world to use as it related to my particular King room. It was smaller than small. If you put the bathroom and closet together, it equaled the size of my room.

In any event, the greeting process at the front entrance was none existent. Of course, it is possible the doorman was busy doing something else at the time of my arrival, but there was also no bellman available. Fortunately I was able to handle the luggage on my own and did so without a problem. The lobby is more modern and represents what one would expect in a smaller property but does not represent the nostalgia of the days it was built. Oddly, all signage on property including room numbers, have an elephant logo which is likely from a prior flag or owner which has nothing to do with Hilton. I believe I saw a similar logo on a hotel in Dubai but cannot be sure and I'm not certain what flag was on this property prior to Hilton. Upon entering the room I was surprised with just how small it was. Frankly, it was disappointing. The bathroom was large, modern and full of marble which was pleasant to the eye. My issue in my room (601) was there was a constant noise originating from shaking pipes all through the night and the toilet ran all through the night as well. Further, there was a constant issue with the cable/satellite tv of losing channels throughout my stay. Finally on what turned out to be my last morning at the hotel, the satellite was completely inoperative for a period of three hours which is when I decided to check-out and go to another hotel. Also, the bathroom had mildew on the wall and along the baseboard was filthy dirty.

I did have room service which was purely average and I also tried the restaurant which offered a great salad and my entree of fish and chips was severely undercooked.

I'm sure this hotel has a chance of doing well and it appears they are trying to do the best they can with what they have to work with. Unfortunately during my stay, it represented a brand of much lower standards and even though I knew it was a "boutique" style property, that actually increases my expectation level, not decreases it.

I would not stay at this location again as the alternative choices are too great. One good thing about the stay, the bed was extremely comfortable, if one can get over the noise from the pipes.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LiscomeBay
Checkers02, Director of Sales at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2012

Thank you for your candid comments about your recent stay with us, we are sincerely sorry that you encountered so many challenges.

I can see where the elephant insignias could be somewhat confusing in the setting of a downtown hotel, however as noted on the hotels website, they are actually a part of the hotel’s long storied history. The name "Checkers" was fashioned after British Prime Minister Winston Churchill's private retreat located outside of London. The use of the elephants displayed throughout the hotel were the official insignia of the British retreat as they represented a high-level of service and have a part of the hotels history for many years. The name reflects not only the hotel's intimate scale, but also a sense of privacy and security among the concrete, brass and glass of one of America's largest modern cities