“Great for lunch, not for dinner”
Review of The Ivy

The Ivy
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ivy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #78 of 10,959 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Cross street: Alden Dr.
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

This place is beautiful and has a great energy at lunch but I found it to be boring and expensive at dinner. The food is good but I prefer the food at Ivy’s at the Shore in Santa Monica better.

1  Thank Catherine B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,906)

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

This place was unique and energetic at lunch time on a Tuesday. They served complimentary champagne while we waited to be brought to our seats. Many of the people sitting in the front outdoor area were celebrating some type of occasion like a Birthday or wedding anniversary. I'd read that this place was good for people watching and that is true mainly because the largest sitting section in the restaurant looks out on to the valet service. In our seat we had a full view of all the luxury cars pulling up before the people in them entered the restaurant.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

Who would have thought I'd booked a Mac Donald's fast food dine in experience in Beverly Hills but yes you read this right, this was express on another level ....

This used to be a fine dining bistro experience but times have changed and wow not for the better.

You travel in our case several thousand miles to savour a previously fabulous experience but the testament of time (2years in our case) has not been kind to this fine establishment. There has obviously been a mass hiring from the Golden Arches - pack them in, get the order and serve as fast as humanly possible.

The menu definitely had the rack of lamb but hey the boys from Maccy D's brought lamb with fries and ketchup.....old habits hard!!! Striving hard to get one star on his badge Steve lacked the finesse of a bull in a china shop.

I was talked down to for daring to ask them to allow to leave a reasonable gap between ordering rather than the 4 minute service rule. I was told in a very dominant fashion that I should have told them at the outset that I did not want fast food. In fact I seemed to ruin Steve's evening by deliberately taking my time to choose and select my next courses without galloping my food down as he repeatedly came to the table to hurry things along.

Feed and go is the new mantra of the Ivy.

Call me old fashioned but customer is king and I contribute to these floosies salaries with an expectation that I should tip them for great service?!?!

Would I recommend a visit? Not until they restore traditional good customer service and acknowledge the the customer is their reason for being. The food is ok -average and not on a par to other fabulous Beverly Hill eateries.

3  Thank Sylvia S
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

We haven't eaten at The Ivy in London but have been lucky enough to eat at The Ivy in Cobham, Surrey and thoroughly enjoyed it. We knew when booking a table at The Ivy in Los Angeles that it wouldn't be a cheap night out and if we are honest we considered cancelling a couple of times. We are delighted we didn't and here's why....Fabulous welcome, lots of staff to tend to your every wish. Nice glass of Prosecco on arrival, please correct me if I am wrong but honestly it didn't taste like Champagne (very nice all the same), extensive menu with loads of specials, plenty of choice for even the fussiest diner. Chris our waiter and in fact all of the waiting staff are not pretentious and so keen to make your evening very special. Nice decor, lights and beautiful fresh flowers. Had a giggle in the Ladies, a lovely lady holds the door open for you, nice touch, inside everything you need and then if you fancy a spray of scent there are 3 choices......3 varieties of Adidas!!!!! Not sure if maybe that's an Eau Du Parfum of choice in the US but made me smjle! So the motto of this update is if you are umming and ahhhhhing just do it! A fab experience, our bill was USD 320 for 2 courses including Lobster and Fillet Mignon, a USD 50 tip and a bottle of Veuve.
An experience you won't regret X

1  Thank Annette A
Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

Food and ambience was amazing, the food was really appetising and lots of options, rather pricey but didn't mind paying as the atmosphere and quality of food was very good, service was mediocre and waiter seemed quite disinterested and even followed us out after our meal as to why we didn't leave a higher tip which I found quite unprofessional and rude, the tip was at our discretion, we shouldn't be questioned as to how much we gave, if a higher up is expected then a compulsory service charge should be put as part of the bill. Apart from that everything else was fab

1  Thank esha1992