“This place ripped me off.”
Review of El Patio Inn

El Patio Inn
Ranked #265 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 3 January 2018

So, we are moving. We ended up staying here because we were considering going to Universal the next morning. We booked through Hotels.com, and got a fairly decent price, considering the area, but when we checked in, they asked for a $300 deposit. We paid the deposit, especially since we travel with a service dog, and felt like he needed the reassurance that we wouldn't mess up the room. He assured us that the room was fine the next morning and that the money would be posted back to our account immediately. Shocker - it wasn't. Still hasn't been.

Everything the naysayers are saying is also true. We had two cars because of our move and were forced to park one on the street, which meant it had to be moved by 8 AM. We got up at 7, but then there was no place to put the car because we were the first to check out. Literally, every room has one space.

The room was small due to the queen beds, and although there was a futon, by the time everyone was bedded down, the room was mostly just bed. We decided that since we were mostly there to sleep, it would be okay. The rooms have been updated, with a lot of attention given to the bathroom sink, but the shower was questionably clean.

I'm really sorry, after having some very good experiences with California and Californians that we even stayed here. The only thing this place had really going for it was the fact that it was quiet and we were able to sleep. Otherwise, this would have been a TERRIBLE, less than 1 star, type of experience.

Room Tip: Just avoid this place if you can.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 November 2017

The property is keep clean and the rooms are also very clean. This is not a 5 star nor is the price for the area. This hotel is perfect if you want to see Universal Studios for a couple of days. It is a 10 dollar cab ride to the front gate. The two people that were at the desk on a couple of occasions (Nawaz and Sami) were very helpful and had knowledge of the area. Great place if you just need a place to crash after a day of Universal. Would and will recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed near the back away from the street and it was great.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank j s
Reviewed 18 October 2017

I should have listened to the negative reviews of this property because I would have avoided dealing with inattentive service, bath towels that were embedded with other people’s hair, and a General Manager who doesn’t care. Upon checking in, the staff member tells me that I could have paid less if I had called him, making me feel like I had done something wrong. At midnight, there were people making loud noise as if it were a party in the lot parking which is adjacent to every guest room. The same staff member doesn’t say anything to these loud revelers. The worst part was the filth in the bathroom and the encrusted food particles on the TV remote from all the previous hands on it. All of my bath towels had someone’s long, black curly hair embedded in the towels. The hairs were clearly visible about 10 inches long and in the thread loops of the towels. Each of my bath towels were like this, and the worst part is that I only discovered it after taking my shower. I had to dry myself off with my T shirt. I immediately complained and showed all the towels to the staff member, who didn’t even apologize. He just gave me a blank look. I asked to bring this up to a manager, and was told to call back on 3 different days, which I did. I was also told to leave my number because Bobby the GM would call me back but he never did. The last staff member accused me of calling “too late” and I had to explain that I had brought this up immediately in person and that the time passing was because of the manager. Making mistakes is one thing, but having filthy conditions, not apologizing and not following up is awful service. I did not get my money’s worth here.

Room Tip: I had to stand next to your room window to access the internet. The signal is weak and the staff une...
Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2017

This property is an older no frills hotel near Universal Studios that was recently renovated and was very clean. The young man who checked me in was very helpful. The room is an old Hollywood bungalow style and was nostalgic with a refrigerator and microwave. The negative was they charged a 'deposit' of $150 for the night which I wasn't aware of until check in, so be prepared to have that added to your credit card. I would stay again for convenience and the price was below the area average per night by over $100 at larger hotels. Easy Uber or Lyft pick up about 3 minutes time.

Room Tip: Furthest to back of property away from the busy blvd.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank thaddt
Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

This is a clean but basic motel. Staff is very helpful and friendly and the parking area is in the center of all the rooms with a 24 hr attendant, so it felt safe. However, the biggest reason to stay here is that it is a relatively affordable option close to Hollywood blvd, and universal Studios. There were five of us. It was a small room with two beds, and a futon couch (no room for any more than one person sleeping on it like a couch). The room works for a group willing to pile in together to save money. There was a small refrigerator, which was helpful.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Universal City Area
BLVD Hotel & Spa
BLVD Hotel & Spa
#57 of 358 in Los Angeles

Been to El Patio Inn? Share your experiences!