All reviews venice beach santa monica other guests reasonable rates our honeymoon rooms are beautiful fantastic location parking guesthouse skinner abbot sleepless california lax
Reviewed 17 February 2016 via mobile

We stayed in the loft style room and it worked great for our family of 4. Room was very clean and front desk staff was helpful. The parking was convenient and the beach was just a short walk. We would stay here again!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2016

I booked 2 rooms for 1 night at Venice Beach Hotel, but 2.5 days prior to arrival my travel plans changed and I needed to cancel 1 room. The hotel doesn't clearly disclose the cancellation/refund terms clearly, which on their website clearly states that if you cancel with less than 7 days notice, you will receive a refund if they are able to re-rent the room, less a $20 fee.

So my assumption was that, with 2+ days notice and the possibility of them renting the room I intended to cancel, I might have the chance to recover the cost of the room, less $20. Instead, I received this reply:

"I’m sorry to say that if you cancel we have to charge you the full amount of $193.80 on the room."

They didn't even try to suggest that they might rent the room to someone else - they preferred to keep the money and not try to help me. So much for their cancellation terms.

This hotel is more interested in money than customer service. Beware.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Colinmstein
Reviewed 3 January 2016

We stayed for the second time at the Venice Beach House in early December. It feels like a home (the house is a historic landmark) and we love sitting on the porch and in the beautiful garden, very relaxing after a flight from Europe. It's only a minute to the beach, a few restaurants are nearby, you can walk around Venice and to Santa Monica, and it only takes 20 minutes from the airport. The rooms are charming, the breakfast is good, staff are friendly and we don't mind shared bathrooms (it's an old house). Free wifi is a plus. It's our favourite place to stay in LA and I can highly recommend it to those who don't like big hotels.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ninafr2015
Reviewed 10 November 2015

We use it for all of our company travel to LA! Perfect distance from Santa Monica, where most of our meetings are.

Booking with them is amazingly easy, they treat us so well, absolutely love this place! Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 9 November 2015

I spent a whole morning visiting the majority of the hotels when I checked out of the Erwin and in my opinion, The Venice Beach House is the best hotel in Venice.

After two nights in the Erwin, I fancied somewhere with a bit more charisma and character so, I set off early and visited hotels all along the coastline from Santa Monica to Marina Del Rey.

Thankfully, I happened upon The Venice Beach House. It’s a lovely secluded detached house with lush private garden and tranquil seating areas, like something from a bygone era. Being British, it was more like a little comfy version of Downtown Abbey!

The hotel is sneakily hidden just 20 meters back from the beach, in a lush green garden secluded by high protective bushes. It’s closer to the pier area but still just a 5 minute walk from the hustle and bustle of the busy boardwalk area (just far enough from the crazy area!), while the restaurants and bars of Washington Avenue are a mere 50 meters away. I have no doubt that if this hotel was on the beach front it would be twice as expensive and ten times busier – thankfully for me, it wasn’t. And although, there were other guests staying there, we barely saw each other; it was like I had the place to myself.

The staff led by the manager Mackenzie and the housekeeper Rosie were exceptional too. Not only were they friendly and welcoming but also nothing was a problem. Breakfast, which is included, was always fresh and different, and afternoon snacks and fresh lemonade were a nice little homely touch. When I enquired about hiring a car, they arranged for the exact car I wanted to be dropped off at the hotel the next morning and then picked up at the hotel the following day.

The rooms were impeccable too. I was lucky enough to stay in two different large rooms (much bigger than usual US standards) as I decided to extend my stay while I was there and couldn’t stay in the first room, as it was booked for the last two nights of my stay. I had the best night’s sleep I’d had in a fortnight in the US in The Venice Beach House.

Altogether, I can’t think of anything bad to say against the place, it was a beautifully historic house set in a serene green oasis. I told my friends whom I was visiting and although they’d never heard of it, they said whenever they have relatives staying over, they’d be staying there from now on. For the first time in a long time, I was genuinely sad to leave a hotel and when I go bac

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo