“Took me back to Peru with each bite”

Los Balcones del Peru
Reserve with OpenTable
Los Balcones del Peru is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,302 of 10,298 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Hollywood
Cross street: De Longpre Ave.
Reviewed 16 July 2016

My friends and I had dinner here and it was the couple who has never been to Peru that didn't enjoy it as much. But I think it's because they did not have Peruvian food before and kept comparing it to Mexican food that didn't let them enjoy it.

As for me, I ordered the Arroz con Mariscos while the rest of the table got the signature Lomo Saltado. The arroz was good, but the look on my friends' faces told me i was missing out on the Lomo. After taking one bite of their plate, I understood why. This was the only place I know that served Cusquena beer (in LA so far) and the piscos were very good.

After the drinks and meal, I ordered the one thing I really came here for: Lucuma Ice Cream. I don't know how best to describe the flavor, except its really different. And I was not disappointed once I got it.

There are some minor cons with the location, which I think I should at least mention. The first is the parking. Like all of LA, parking is hard to come by and we ended up driving around the block a couple of times before we found one in the neighborhood behind the restaurant. At night, you can also park at the business across the street, but we didn't know that until after we got to the restaurant. The other con is the size of the ceviche. I get that it has a very authentic taste to it, but to me it's not worth the price that is charged.

Overall, great restaurant.

Reviewed 4 June 2016 via mobile

Loved this cute little venue! It may not have looked much from the outside - but once inside, the mixture of cosy, authentic and urban cool won me over. The colorful flower arrangements in red and pink hues disposed on each table really stood out and contributed in creating a fresh, romantic set up. I liked my Chilcano cocktail (pisco, ginger beer and fresh lemon juice) although it could have been served a tiny bit more chilled on this hot LA evening. The food was fabulous: the ceviche had the spice and zest I always long for, the chicken anticucho was moist and flavorful (and large for an appetizer), the lomo saltado was just the right balance between well cooked, seasoned and tender.
Service was super efficient and friendly. Atmosphere was quiet at first but exploded in enthusiastic chatter at about 8pm. Being a Latin music fan, I loved the background music playlist composed of the best of classic salsa tunes.
Overall we had a super experience at Los Balcones. The only thing that was a bit of a shame is that they brought all the dishes we ordered at the same time, instead of one by one (or at least appetizers before main course). As such, there wasn't enough time to savor each dish by itself and appreciate its intricate flavoring. The meal felt a bit rushed (we didn't want the hot dishes to get cold) when it could have been leisurely and a greater feast for the palate. So make sure to specify in which order/ at what rhythm they should bring over your food.

Reviewed 6 May 2016

My friends and I enjoyed a variety of menu items, from cevichi to lamb! It was my first time having Peruvian cuisine, and we left happy. Friendly service and a pleasant atmosphere.

Reviewed 5 April 2016 via mobile

I go to Peru a few times a year. I was surprised at how good this place is!! Very authentic with a southwestern grill twist. We gobbled up everything and it will definitely be a place I return whenever I'm Los Angeles. Very satisfied !!!

Reviewed 23 February 2016

Some friends and I came into this place for happy hour. We had the ceviche and papas a la huancaina. The ceviche tasted like it was made with plastic lime, but the papas were good.