“Outstanding Ambiance”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We enjoyed the garden and greenhouses so much that we lingered to enjoy the restaurant! It’s venue is a beautiful old greenhouse with a contemporary slatted pergola for outdoor dining. Additional outdoor dining at the two oven pizza bar. We enjoyed wonderful salads, fish tacos and BLT on sourdough. We highly recommend you visit this restaurant. It’s very chic, cleverly appointed and a wonderful gift shop downstairs. There is a huge parking lot available.

Reviewed 3 September 2018

Walked in for lunch on a Sunday, Labor Day Weekend. We were told 1-1/2 hour wait for two. Spent the time touring through the Nursery, looking at the Art Gallery and artifacts in the Mercantile Store. Walking through the old giant Fruit processing shed is quaint and interesting. They've done a nice job of presenting it for the public. The wait was a long one, but we spent the rest of the time waiting on a bench in the cool misted, and Sycamore tree shaded garden area near the Koi pond. Food and service were very good. Had the eggs, meat and potatoes dish, sourdough toast. Ordered pancakes on the side, and that was a surprise; out came two 9" wide buttermilk flapjacks served up and we split them...very tasty. The warmed syrup was a natural Maple, and they offer a mandarin orange jam (more like marmalade). Their diet-cola is a local bottled variety with a kind of vanilla taste (maybe sarsaparilla-like).
My suggestion for the restaurant is to have an area for patrons who are waiting so long to order quick bites, and a drink or have an open a bar area. They have about eight people working the kitchen so I don't think that was the issue with the wait time...our food came promptly once ordered.

Reviewed 29 August 2018

We needed to get out and walk in a natural outdoor setting. We did so by enjoying a great lunch at the Cafe with dear friends. Then we followed our senses and explored the many plantings and the shops next to the nursery for another three hours. It was a refreshing experience away from all of the local, national, and international travails.

1  Thank Spartan58
Reviewed 17 August 2018

I took a friend for her birthday today and the food was great, the service terrific but the flies inside the restaurant was awful! I understand this is a open air but I really think if you are eating inside you should not have to keep batting flies away from your food and table. If I wanted that I would eat outside. Seriously you can still have a open air affect but put a screen up or close off from the patio seating. It was disgusting and for that I will not eat here again in the summer! The food and service was good. The nursery is beautiful!

Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

My wife had heard a lot about this place so, even though this was an unknown to me, we gave it a shot. We heard that reservations are recommended so I called and got to their voice mail. I left a message, along with our preferred time, 12:15 pm. I received a call back within less than five minutes and I was told that the next open reservation time was 2:30. However, she told me that they have a lot of walk-in seating so we took a chance. We got there today (Saturday) at noon and we were seated right away!

I had a tuna melt and potato salad that were both very good. My wife had a chicken salad sandwich and tomato salad and she was very happy with them. We had planned to share a dessert but we were too full after our meals. Service was also very good. Prices were definitely in the acceptable range.

The cafe is essentially outdoors as it is open air in what appears to be an old airplane hanger. However, with 100 degree temperatures today, we still felt very comfortable. The ambience is very nice.

There is plenty of parking. There is also plenty of things to check out (nursery, preserves, etc.) if you get stuck waiting.