“better than it looks from outside”

Royal Inn Motel Long Beach
Ranked #35 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 11 September 2014

The neighborhood is a little sketchy at nite but close to stores and not a very long walk to the beach. The rooms were clean and had what was needed; better than the entire property appearance would have led you to believe from the outside. The hotel clerks/desk staff lent a feeling of security to the whole operation; offering a friendly but no-nonsense approach that probably keeps the less well-intentioned at bay. Very good deal for the money!

Room Tip: maybe second floor is better
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank J F

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Water poured out of the back of toilet when flushed, toilet paper roll half used already, smashed bugs sticking half way out from behind bathroom mirror. Shower head so clogged I had to get vice grips out of trunk to remove so me and my wife could shower, bed wasn't queen size probably a full, queen bed was advertised. HBO subscription was invalid, huge sign out front says free HBO. Plus had to leave air conditioner on entire time we were there cause room was hot and humid. And all of that happened in the two hours, at which point we left for the night and than slept in a walmart parking lot in the rental car cause we refused to return to the worst motel/hotel we have ever seen.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Dj D
Reviewed 1 July 2014

When I was looking for somewhere to stay whilst I was in the US I was a bit dubious at first about this place as I had seen some of the reviews.
In the end I decided to stay here as it was affordable and was in a good location for me. On arrival I was met by the couple that run the motel and straight away they made me feel at ease.They welcomed me to the motel and had allowed my request of a ground floor room due to having a disability.
I was told that if I needed anything then to just get in touch. I was able to get a UK to US socket adapter from then for a deposit of $10 which was great otherwise I would of had to go out and find one.
On getting in the room, I found it very spacious for my needs. There was a fridge and a microwave in the room which was awesome as some days it got pretty hot out and was nice to be able to have a chilled bottle of water. the bathroom was nice and clean and was equipped with hand rails. Also I was given a bath seat that I was able to use.
The bed covers did seem a bit dated but you didn't really want to use them as it was still pretty warm at night.
There's free parking at the motel and I was able to park across from my room which was great for accessibility.

With the comments about the location of the motel. Yes it is in a bit of a rundown area, it's like most places, use common sense when going out. I was able to walk to local bars without any issue and I felt completely safe in my room.

If I am ever in Long Beach again then I would definitely stay here!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank DisabledTraveler
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights. Not too bad. Towels rough and thin. Pillows old and lumpy. Air conditioner didn't work. But it was pretty clean and quiet. I would have rather paid $50 per night instead of $75. Just because of the things listed above.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathy V
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Very clean ,very honest ppl. This place is a hidden gem. Its clean and inexpensively priced.My wife and I stay there perioticly. The manager is Super Cool. Considering the area is getting better. Congrats too the staff. They deal with a lot of low income ppl. But they are very nice to the guests.

• Stayed: April 2014