“Shades of the Northeast Coast-Crab Sandwich and Ice Cream”

Velvet Grill & Creamery
Ranked #3 of 7 Dessert in Lodi
Cuisines: American
Description: This was the best breakfast we had on the whole trip...AND they make homeade ice cream daily. Both traditional flavors and my favorite...velvety chocolate infused with cabernet wine. Skip IHOP and go here for breakfast! Very attentive staff. Owner wanted to check on our trip, how we found them, if we were happy with the food, and to give us samples of ice cream.
Reviewed 11 September 2015

We were driving home to the Los Angeles area from Portland, traveling the 99 Freeway as there are more food and hotel options and we saw the Ice Cream billboard. I checked tripadvisor.com and realized we had already passed one Creamery but we were approaching Lodi. According to tripadvisor the restaurant closed at 9:00 p.m. and it was 8:30 p.m. and we were 15 minutes away. Fortunately on Saturday night they close at 10:00 p.m.

The restaurant is a diner and they do serve take-out ice cream. I saw recommendations to make sure to get the homemade bread and ice cream. I ordered a snow crab sandwich on homemade bread. The sandwich came with cheese and the crab was piled high like a restaurant in Maine. I had them warm the sandwich as I like the cheese melted. The french fries were crispy. The price was incredible for the quality of the food, $10.99.

Of course I topped the meal off with one child's size scoop of ice cream. It was rich and smooth.

Service was helpful. We will make sure to stop at any of the Velvet Grills the next time we are traveling Hwy 99.

Reviewed 10 July 2015

We saw a billboard on the highway for this place and decided to give it a try and are so glad we did. I had the New Orleans scramble with salmon and chorizo--really good! But the house made biscuits were fabulous! I ate both of them--no gravy, but with butter/jam they were fabulous! My husband had the chicken fried steak and said it was perfect. We also opted for a kid size ice cream--chocolate port wine! Wow! was that delicious! Not a flavor combination I have ever heard of before, but if it's on the board when you are there, give it a whirl! You'll probably love it, too.

Reviewed 2 July 2015

Loved the atmosphere of this diner. It reminded me of something out of the 60's or 70's. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Ordered the small Artichoke salad and it would have been enough for two people. The others in my group got a lot of food for the money. It was good, too! The homemade ice cream was great.

Great place for families.

Reviewed 28 June 2015 via mobile

This is a nice place with classic diner charm. I had cheese dog that was okay, but the fries were the better part of the meal. The best part was the ice cream. You should really try the ice cream.

Reviewed 28 April 2015

Never heard of a Velvet Grill before but a friend in town suggested this place for an early dinner.. I was going to go with a burger, but opted for the smothered chicken breasts with veggies. The grilled veggies were really good! the chicken was in a sweet teryaki tasting sauce then smothered in mushrooms and onions with jack cheese.. not a flavor combo I would have gone with, but it was still good.

Been to Velvet Grill & Creamery? Share your experiences!