“Heaven on earth and water”

Montage Laguna Beach
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 26 May 2015

I was there for a short vacation in early March 2015. As you walk into the lobby, you totally blow past the front desk because the oceanview is directly across the lobby and doesn't get in the way. Service. food and rooms were the top of AMAZING! I felt very special and the service is the reason why. Too bad the ocean was still cold but good thing the pool wasn't. Me and my 3 kids spent a lot of time outdoors (coming from Chicago in March, that doesn't happen) and it was refreshing to be in the sun, if only for 4 days. We actually saw a sea lion sunbathing on the rocks of the beach!

Cute little art town surrounding the property. We didn't go out of the property much because we didn't have a car, but when we did, we rented one from the hotel and did a Disneyland trip. I have to say, it was great to come back to a luxurious room after a crazy day with the Mouse (Mickey, that is).

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
MauricioSouzaDoR, Director of Rooms at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2015

Thank you for vacationing at Montage Laguna Beach with your family! We are delighted that you had a memorable time and hope to welcome you back in the near future. During your next visit, it will be our pleasure to arrange for the Resort Driver to provide transportation for you within the limits of Laguna Beach - please inquire with the Concierge team. It may also be fun for the children to experience the free Laguna Beach trolley that operates on the weekends throughout the year and daily throughout most of the summer. We look forward to your next adventure with us!

Gratefully,
Mauricio Souza
Director of Rooms

Write a ReviewReviews (1,395)

Reviewed 23 May 2015

This is an absolutely beautiful property on the ocean in Laguna Beach. It is beautifully maintained. The grounds are gorgeous and there are gardeners constantly maintaining them. The central lobby is large and on an open plan with a bar at one end and seating throughout. It is located on the fourth floor so the view of the ocean and property can be seen as you enter the hotel. The rates are very high but the property is unusually beautiful. Scan the internet to find your best rate. Most of the rooms have Ocean views. I wish that I had had a better understanding of room types. Some rooms on the ground floor have lanais so that you can go through your room and walk around and sit or eat outside. Some rooms have balconies where you can sit outside. I think it depends on who you are travelling with in order to make the best choices. There is an Oceanside pool and hot tub. There is a private pool for people 21 and older who use spa services. There is a beautiful restaurant on the fourth floor called the Loft and a restaurant poolside. The hotel car will take you to town and collect you when you are done. There are many events taking place on the lawn and in the center of the hotel facing the ocean. If noise from events bothers you make sure to ask what is planned during your stay and plan your rooms accordingly. There is a fire pit overlooking the Ocean for nighttime s'mores and conversation. The spa is wonderful and will do their best to make you have an enjoyable experience. There is a gym, a store and a private pool. My only problem here is that there were six of us traveling together: my husband , our children and their friends. If four of us were having spa treatments we were not allowed to sit by the spa pool with the other two people who did not have treatments. We were not here during high season so this became an annoyance and meant time lost with my children who are young adults. What made it particularly upsetting is that the back gate was open and people were coming and going as they pleased. I think the staff should be able to use their judgement depending on capacity. A happy guest is better than twenty empty chairs. I planned this trip well in advance and my husband and I took a beautiful suite by the ocean. The room was exquisite. The fireplace was an added bonus and as I had hoped our children came and hung out in the living room. It was immaculate and lovely. The only problem was that it was next to all the parties so at times the noise and speakers from music was anything but relaxing. My children had ocean front rooms and they were extremely happy. There were some housekeeping problems but this was addressed quickly. If you were up early breakfast came in twenty minutes. As the day progressed delivery took a lot longer. I asked for a card so I could order the night before and that worked perfectly. I was told people just call and order but then a card appeared. WHAT?! The breakfast in the loft was excellent and worth getting dressed to enjoy. When we arrived we had lunch in the Loft and for some reason everything was extremely slow. The most interesting and intelligent thing is that the hotel has a trainer and birds of prey hidden behind bushes that are used to scare off the birds so they don't disturb you while you are eating. That's what I call service. We had a few blips along the way but everything was addressed by the hotel manager as we checked out. I was and am very appreciative of his attention and most of all his making the effort to make me happy before I left. All six of us had a wonderful time relaxing and enjoying the resort. My adult children were sorry to leave as was I. I would definitely return. I would highly recommend this resort. Take the time to book the right room for your needs. If you are unhappy for any reason let the manager know so he can address any issue. I would give the manager 5 stars for doing his job well. I am giving four stars because some of the other staff need to make better decisions when faced with situations. Finally I want to compliment the guys at the pool. They were absolutely terrific: got us seats, placed umbrellas and made sure food was delivered. Best run pool I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying. My advice is: spend the money for this experience, you will not be sorry. Everyone in my group can't wait to return. By the way I also love the Montage in Beverly Hills- great location!

Room Tip: Make sure that you are specific about your needs. Ask where events are and when.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
Rick_Riess, Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2015

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We are so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed Montage and took advantage of the many amenities we offer.

We apologize that your spa pool experience wasn't perfect. Our Spa pool is a quite area that operates differently than our main pool, allowing guests receiving treatments and our Montage residents to relax while maintaining a serene environment. This policy is designed to enhance the overall guest experience; we regret that it hindered yours. We hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Rick Riess
Managing Director

Reviewed 22 May 2015 via mobile

This is a great hotel with breathtaking views. The spa is first class as well. The service is impeccable and always willing to please One of the best places for relaxation in Southern California. Fabulous food will top off a great experience.

Stayed: October 2014
Reviewed 20 May 2015

Best hotel in Laguna Beach. Very peaceful and rooms are fresh and perfectly decorated for a hotel on the shore. Most of them have a beautiful view of the ocean.
It captures really well the spirit of Laguna.
Montage services are truly 5 stars.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
MauricioSouzaDoR, Director of Rooms at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2015

Thank you for being our guest at Montage Laguna Beach and for posting a wonderful review of our property. We look forward to your next visit!

Mauricio Souza
Director of Rooms

Reviewed 20 May 2015

First, 'unclick' that function in your brain that scrutinizes cost. Once you've done this you will have an absolutely wonderful experience. Feel your blood pressure lower as you take in the refined but not over-the-top décor as you enter the resort. Feel those tight muscles relax as you take in the 'life is good' view of the ocean from the top floor lobby lounge. Notice your shoulders un-hunch as the warm front desk staff show you around and make you feel like the most cherished customer they've ever had. Don't hold back that audible, 'aaah', as you take in the spacious and well appointed comforts of your room. Thankfully lose track of time as you wander the cliff-side path or stop to admire breaching whales. This is the place to go if you work hard and deserve a couple of days' pampering. Here are a few quick tips: Book a meal at the Studio (their top restaurant); the service is phenomenal, the food's good, the wine list is megabyte long, and sunsets make meals sublime. Tip #2: Book a spa treatment. In addition to a great treatment, this gives you access to their 'club level' with its own lap pool, services and amenities. Tip #3: meet the hawks. The hotel employs raptors - falcons and hawks - to chase crows and gulls away from the pool area. They are amazing creatures and the owner/handler is happy to educate you about these impressive birds. Plenty of spots have luxury, any number of resorts offer good Hollywood star-watching. But Montage corners the L.A. area market on Restorative Relaxation.

Room Tip: Floors 3,4,5 all offer great views
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
11.4 km away
The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#4 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!