“GOOD Gluten Free Chinese Food”

UNCLE Yu's Szechuan
Ranked #13 of 81 Restaurants in Lafayette
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 November 2016

We were blown away. Our prior GF Chinese food foray to a large Chinese food chain left us VERY unimpressed when it came to their GF menu. The portions were small, expensive and frankly had little to no taste. Had the food been good, the portion size and price would probably not have mattered all that much. So - needing a Chinese food fix we went to Yu's. Our prior non-GF experiences there had been very ordinary but we heard the GF and Healthy Menu were worth the effort. Not quite believing this we went last weekend and were soooo surprised. We started with the Pork Tenderloin appetizer (this is a regular item but has little to no soy sauce which contains wheat). This was followed by the GF Combination Chow Fun and the GF Beef & Broccoli. They were all 3 delicious and well prepared. You did not think you were being fed some substandard diet-complaint fake food. And, the service was very good too. At this Yu's location, service in the past has not been very good. I have mixed feelings about writing this review. I want us to still be able to get in - but in solidarity with the GF community - we all deserve to eat well!!! So, there you have it. There are at least 3 Uncle Yu's locations: Lafayette, San Ramon & Livermore. I am assuming the food is the same at all 3 - or maybe even better. Who knows. Go and enjoy.

Reviewed 25 September 2016

Three different kinds of shrimp entrees featured at Uncle Yu's - - its a full menu of yummy Chinese food - - my only disappointment was getting a fork and knife as a set up instead of chop sticks - - but it was a small issue - the food is well worth trying.

Reviewed 26 August 2016 via mobile

I meet good friends from Southern California annually, always for a delightful evening of talking and eating. Any leftovers are always sent home with me!!

Special dishes include include wonderfully seasoned but typical Sichuan plates. Since I have been in China four times, I would prefer more heat but I realize that isn't going to be welcomed by most Americans. including some in my party. But in sum, food and wait-staff excellent

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

Excellent fresh Chinese food.
Top quality at reasonable prices.
White tablecloth upscale. Very good
Service. Large parking area.

Reviewed 11 July 2016

We had a Prix Fixe menu for an event we attended. The restaurant staff and food were awesome! We were in a separate event room that was a great space.