“A home away from home”

Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 21 August 2017

No one likes to be displaced from their home, but when my insurance company sent me and my dog to stay at the Residence Inn-La Jolla* for what turned out to be an unexpectedly long 8-week stay (June-August) while damage from a washing machine leak was repaired at my house, I was surprised by what a nice experience my stay turned out to be. The staff—from the front desk, to workers in the dining room, housekeeping, and other functions—were all so genuinely kind, nice, and friendly. They were also quite wonderful to my dog who enjoyed everyone’s attention. Norma was particularly reassuring when my insurance company was late on extending my stay (which happened multiple times), as was Glenna, letting me know that they wouldn’t kick me out of my room despite my insurance company’s delay. Kylise always had a big smile on her face, and genuinely seemed to like taking care of guest’s needs. And Irma was quick to offer clean towels when my stay went past my expected check out dates.

Something I have never experienced at any another hotel was the three-night-a-week free beer, wine, snacks and barbecue (with karaoke every other week), which is a lovely way for guests (many of whom stay for months at a time) to meet each other or just relax at the end of the day, and makes one feel less lonely and isolated during a long stay. (The Residence Inn seems to attract genuinely nice guests, too. I met people who stay at the Residence Inn for four months a year, and have been returning for ten years.) All of these things make the hotel feel like a little community.

The hotel was fully booked all summer, and yet no one ever appeared harried, overburdened, or annoyed by any request. It seems that they all like their jobs, which is a wonderful statement about management and made the Residence Inn a very comfortable place to stay.

Great for families and long-term stays.

*The Residence Inn was the only hotel on the insurance company’s list that accepted dogs.

Room Tip: If you don't have kids, you might want to request a room that is not right near the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
everardoaguilar, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2017

Dear xsnerg,

How wonderful to hear about your experience with us at the Residence Inn La Jolla this summer. It is very much appreciated to hear the feedback regarding our employees and how they helped enhance your stay. We know our guests have options and we work diligently to provide a genuine, sincere, and appreciative environment for all our guests. I will be sure to share the experience mentioned with our entire team and give extra kudos to those mentioned, Norma, Glenna, Kylise, and Irma. I agree with you that Residence Inn seems to attract genuinely nice guests, which is why we become so connected with our guests.
Hope all is well in your home again, and remember we will always be a home away from home.

Cheers,

Ever A.

Reviewed 29 July 2017

We just spent three nights at the Residence Inn La Jolla. The staff was very nice and efficient. The area to eat the free breakfast is way too small for the number of guests. Also, all the beds in our unit were soft and very uncomfortable. We liked the internet ready tv's.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
everardoaguilar, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Dear Larry A.

Thank you for taking time to review our Residence Inn La Jolla. We certainly appreciate the feedback as we continue to look for ways to enhance our offerings and ensure we are providing the level of service that will make you want to return. Thank you for acknowledging our staff - they truly are the stars and appreciate their hard work and dedication at taking care of our guests.

Warm Regards,

Ever A.

Reviewed 14 July 2017

Journeys are taken for a wide variety of reasons beyond vacations. Because of its location, this Residence Inn seems to accommodate guests with reasons such as business, education and medical treatments. Here, everyone is served well by a VERY attentive front desk. I was always treated with gracious friendliness and efficiency. The various suites are configured for different group sizes, and kitchens are truly fully equipped to allow for cost-cutting cooking. My husband and I were residents for 3 weeks because of his specialized medical treatments nearby. The comfort, the quiet (other guests seemed to have great manners), and the terrific food at breakfast AND on three evenings each week made our stay very pleasant. We certainly hope to check in again when future medical appointments arise.

Room Tip: Medical travelers will enjoy first-floor accessibility.
Reviewed 13 July 2017

We reserved a family suite a year in advance for the 4th of July holiday week. We had stayed at this property many times before, and again found it convenient, clean and well run. The managers, front desk, and breakfast personnel were outstanding. The operations manager was very professional in handling our initial inquiries and reserving a family suite to our liking. Our main front desk contact was quick to field our many questions on multiple occasions, and also flawless in his delivery of the workings of the hotel. The front desk management & staff made us feel welcome with genuine concern and supplied us with additional cook items for our room and other conveniences. The breakfast staff were polite, efficient and did a wonderful job. One particular breakfast employee very cheerfully checked in on us every day and helped us with our breakfasts and made our grandchildren very happy with stickers. We will return again!

Room Tip: Stay close to the main building for breakfast if traveling with children
Reviewed 12 July 2017

I stayed for 6 weeks along with 20 students I managed. Staff members, like Glenna and Norma, made us immediately feel welcome and part of a community. Any issues with rooms were always addressed quickly by staff and managers. Maid staff, esp Monica, were top notch! The breakfast was great, and we really enjoyed the different community meals that were arranged during the evening. Pool and hot tub were great as well.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business