“Su Casa is Good”

Ranked #69 of 1,249 Restaurants in La Jolla
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Su Casa is an authentic, friendly, family oriented restaurant that has been a pioneer in gourmet Mexican and Seafood specialties for 45 years. Su Casa has received eight gold medal awards for food excellence
Reviewed 17 July 2018

Went here while in town for the annual La Jolla Concours d'Elegance, since it was near our hotel. It's an older building but is well kept, although a little dark inside. Service was prompt and thoughtful by well trained staff. We ordered a couple of top shelf El Patron Margaritas ($11.95), Chicken Quesadillas ($10.95) and a couple of beef tacos ($5.95) which were all good. Especially the Margaritas! It's a comfortable spot and we'd go back if in the area.

Reviewed 11 July 2018

Cantina style old school Mexican restaurant. The service was attentive and swift. The ambiance and decor were dark and comfortable except for a bit too warm inside. The faire was decent and the location had a certain airy charm about it. The drinks, however were quite overpriced for the presentation, taste and alcohol content.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

We went to Su Casa for Father’s Day without a reservation. The place was packed but we were able to get in after about a 10 minute wait. The place is festive and lively with friendly staff.

We had two orders of guacamole for our party of six. The server prepares the guacamole for you right at the table, It was excellent! They add orange juice and lime to the avocados, along with the more traditional onions, cilantro and tomatoes which make for some of the best guacamole I have ever had.

The Cadillac margaritas were also very good.

Everyone at the table ordered their Supremo fajitas. I got shrimp In mine and was quite disappointed that they were very dried out and chewy. The other people at our table seemed to enjoy their beef and chicken.

For dessert we had the Flan which was decent, not great.

Overall, I would recommend Su Casa.

If you like this review, please let me know by marking it as “helpful.“

Thanks!!

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

We’ve been going to Su Casa for 25 years and it’s our go-to place for good Mexican food with family, friends, and visitors from out of town.

They have a whole menu of margaritas (our favorite is a perfect marg on the rocks with salt) as well as tasty non-alcoholic ones as well... mango or strawberry versions that kids really like.

Fresh guacamole is made for you at your table. They add all the ingredients as you like it: tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, and fresh squeezed orange and lime + garlic salt. Delicious! We also love their bean dip in the bar area.... yummmm.

So many favorite dishes, but here goes:
-Verde crab enchiladas,
-build-your-own-tacos (this can feed 4 people... the menu says for two)
-Seafood tamale
-Fish tacos

And my kids like to order the hot wings.... not a typically Mexican item but they are indeed very tasty and a very generous order as well.

Enjoy!

Reviewed 12 May 2018

We were staying close to this restaurant, it was a short walk so decided to eat there. It was Cinco de Mayo and it was not very busy, that should have been our clue. Waitress did not offer any specials or suggest anything, she was just there. I ordered a combo, cheese enchilada and chicken taco, how can you go wrong with that, well......picked up the taco and it fell apart from the juices in the chicken, I took one bite and scraped the chicken out to eat with my fork. The cheese enchilada was about an inch thick and the cheese was cold, more like a sandwich than an enchilada, beans were not even that great, I left my meal and the waitress came by and asked if she could take my full plate away without asking if there was anything wrong, didn't care. Perhaps she had had a hard day. Was a waste of money.