“Owners who bake with a passion”
Review of Candied Apple Cafe

Candied Apple Cafe
Ranked #5 of 6 Dessert in Julian
Price range: US$8 - US$14
Cuisines: American
Description: We are a made from scratch bakery cafe. We serve amazing breakfast and lunch. We also sell our delicious scratch made desserts and breakfast pastries. In the afternoon we feature our lunch menu and canned wine and beer. We also smoke all of our own meats, and serve a BBQ menu on Fridays and Saturdays.
Reviewed 6 April 2016

This little bakery is tucked away from Julian's main shopping street, and it's well worth the extra short walk to enjoy their delicious baked goods and bistro food. The pastries are wonderful--delicate and not too sweet. We had a light lunch of salads and toasted sandwiches and then took home chocolate croissants, scones, and cinnamon buns for breakfast. When they have them, the macaroons are to die for. So is their apple pie. We live in the small desert community of nearby Borrego Springs and appreciate that The Candied Apple brings their baked goods to our Friday morning farmer's market every week. Really nice owners who bake with a passion.

Reviewed 3 April 2016

All I can say is wow - walking into the smells of fresh bread baking - a friendly owner - a great selection - now what to order - Monte Cristo Sandwich on house made bread - how much better can it get - and return the next day for a Panini and Tomato Basil soup - loved sitting on the patio - fun to watch the world walk by - So nice to see the energy these folks have - thank you for the warm welcome - next time its donuts.

1  Thank mtrimmins
Reviewed 29 March 2016

We ate lunch here based on tripadvisor ratings. Quite disappointing. You order at a counter and they bring your food to you. Pricey for what you get. My zucchini and corn chowder was watery with hardly any zucchini. Chicken focaccia sandwich was on a nondescript roll, not focaccia bread, with minimal chopped chicken. I asked for extra pesto but there was very little. The turkey tapenade sandwich was skimpy -- two slices of commercial turkey with cheese and sauce. There must be better choices than this.

Reviewed 23 March 2016

I make sure to visit The Candied Apple every time I visit Julian. I usually drop in just for coffee but the pastries look so good in the display case, I can't resist them! The breakfast food is also delicious. The atmosphere is cozy and relaxed and the friendly couple who own the place are a joy to talk to. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 28 December 2015

Owner should ask who is next instead of calling customer's Liars and that I paid had the receipt when I showed it to him he made a point to threw me out in front of all the people in the shop. so my party of six asked for there money back and we went some where else. never will go there again BAD SERVICE ON PART OF THE OWNER.

Nroulston, Owner at Candied Apple Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2015

Hi, I am responding in public because I would like to show our side of the story and how miscommunication can end up going poorly for both the business and the guest.

The situation that occurred was very unfortunate and I apologize for it ending up the way it did. When I approached the table I had hoped to clarify that we train all of our employees to fix any problem that arises without looking at the receipt. We understand that more often than not we made a mistake with an order, and so we immediately try and fix the order. When I over heard that a guest was missing a part of the order I did what we train our staff to do. I stepped in to find out what the size of the drink was, due to the fact that we didn't have the ticket at our drink station anymore. When the gentleman informed me that his wife ordered and had the receipt I offered him a large since I didn't know either. He went to get the receipt anyways and I made the mistake of not looking at the receipt and offering him a large again. At this point the receipt was pushed into my face and I was told to look at it, because the gentleman definitely paid for the drink.

I should clarify that we also train all of our employees to come get management whenever a guest goes beyond a line of respect. There was a miscommunication error between two people, but our employees never have to bear the brunt of feeling humiliated for only trying to help. They know that we will ask anyone to leave who crosses the line from guest in our house to a person who is no longer welcome.

For those guests that were at the table. I understand I could have handled asking the gentleman to leave in a better way. I have thought about it for several days, and I should have approached the table offering a full refund and to box the food to go. So, if this situation should arise again that is what I will do.

Been to Candied Apple Cafe? Share your experiences!