“Great hotel - but why rip off guests for parking?”

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 January 2011

There is no question that this is a magnificent hotel. The public areas are excellent, and the staff is helpful and friendly, the grounds are manicured. But they are already charging in the 300+ per night for this -- why add on 10 $/night for formerly free parking? And that on top of 23 $/night for a resort fee. There is no excuse for this except simply a rip off. The prices in the restaurant are also much higher than what they should be (15$ mini pizza)-- and the same for the bar. And, watch your hotel bill -- they added on about 100$ for restocking the stupid minibar -- and we had not touched it! Another guest had the same experience. And what do you get of value for the 23 $/night resort fee? The list given to you includes such notables as free incoming faxes and free golf bag storage. Ridiculous. This is simply raising rates wuithout having it show up in an automated Internet search -- the nightly rate sounds competetive, but add on 10 for parking, 11% for tax, 23 for incoming faxes and golf bag, and who knows waht in the minibar that you did not even open -- and you can hit 500 $ / night.

Another thought -- the place is pretty far from anything you might want to do in Palm Spgs.

The rooms are really nice, and they are well soundproofed (you need it -- there are many screaming kids at this place).

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank QQ1234
Write a ReviewReviews (2,579)

Reviewed 3 January 2011

Stayed with young child over Christmas weekend. The grounds are lovely, good smaller swimming pool with slide for kids (heated), as well as additional pools, including adults only. Nice to have free use of bikes. Stayed in a nice pool view room, which had a separate, fairly large sitting area. What made the hotel stand out most was how friendly and responsive the staff was. Each and every employee we encountered was incredibly friendly and responsive, and any issues were addressed immediately (e.g., the safe didn't work and security came within 5 minutes of being told about it to fix it). Concierge had good suggestions about restaurants and activities. Very kid friendly. Spa was amazing. Great breakfast (can choose buffet or menu - both were very good), which was included in our room price. As others have mentioned, there are additional charges to consider, like parking, but not inconsistent in our experience with other large hotel chains.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2010

I spent a relaxing Christmas week at Hyatt Grand Champions with my family (wife and two girls; 9 and 6}. We are from the East and this our first vacation together in the desert. Weather was great for three days and not so nice for three days so our reliance on the hotel and its comfort level and amenities was important. In this regard Hyatt Grand Champions made the grade.

The hotel is a beautiful setting. Pools are great for kids and families. Bike Riding around the hotel grounds (golf course and villas) is a great. Ping Pong and games at pool. Gym and spa are very nice. Rooms are comfortable and sized well. Room finishes are good but not great. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Buffet breakfast is great and relaxing especially in the bar area or on the deck. Fire pit on patio in the evenings is fantastic.

Overall, the hotel is very nice. I would say that my only criticism for leisure or holiday travelers is that the hotel straddles the line between a convention/business hotel and a family/leisure hotel and you feel more of the business element but the overall experience was very good.

If you are not comfortable with expensive food, valet parking or self parking charges, extra resort fees etc., this property is not for you. If you want full service - you get it here. Great concierge as well.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2010

My BF and I stayed here for our Christ as vacation for four nights. I travel for work so i have a Hyatt Gold card. Upon checking in the friendly front desk staff upgraded us to a pool view room on the second floor and guaranteed us an early check out because of my card status. I hope that non-gold card guests would get the same service, but cannot vouch for that being the case.

I had pre-booked champagne and chocolate strawberries to be delivered while we were at Christmas dinner but they did not arrive until i called more than 75mins later and then were promptly sent up. We had an issue with the pre-ordered room service breakfast our fourth morning there. The food was good, but it arrived an hour earlier than we'd requested and ruined our opportunity to sleep in. I emailed hyatt customer service at 945am and was called by the in room dining manager by 345pm. She had reviewed my feedback, removed the charges for breakfast and the champagne and offered to buy us some drinks at the agave bar that evening.

We took her up on this and e service at the bar was fantastic. The staff was friendly, courteous, and had some great insight into the local restaurants and tourist attractions. The staff at the lantana restaurant where we spent Christmas dinner were also great and remembered my name for my repeat visits. The food was hotel overpriced as should be expected. If I were to do it again I'd go to Sunday brunch at the IW Club rather than the Lantana brunch. The espresso bar is great if a little slow.

The hotel gym was disappointment, but I am a self proclaimed gym rat and have high standards. The TVs were fuzzy, the fitness classes mainly consisted of group walks and stretching. The benefit was that if you were using the spa that day you also got use of the sauna, steam room, and general lounge area. If you are a gym monkey It has what you Ned but don't expect the finery that the pictures portray.

The hotel itself is great, the spa was relaxing and very accommodating. I would come back again as i prefer the Hyatt brand, but i don't think that would be the case had the manager Heather not made the effort to resolve our earlier in-room dining issues.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2010

This is a gorgeous hotel. We stayed in a penthouse suite and it was awesome. The concierge service is so worth it - the food and drinks were very upscale. The alcoholic beverages at the pool were so good and the grounds are very pretty. Service was great. I stayed last week for Thanksgiving and I am now returning this following weekend with my sister and my mom. I cant wait to get back! The gentleman at the pool who greets all the guests was very nice and helpful. I am so glad we stayed here!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
7.2 km away
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
0.5 km away
Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!