“Clean and comfortable in a great location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Idyllwild
Woodland Park Manor
Sherman Oaks, CA
“Clean and comfortable in a great location”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We just got back from our stay in the Azalea Creek cabin. The place was ample sized with two fairly large bedrooms and an open kitchen/family room. Everything was very clean and nice. The kitchen was well stocked with a variety of items. The large, sectional couch in the family room was very comfortable and there was a long table that easily accommodated 8 or more. Across the driveway is a detached guest house that you could have for additional rent, but since we were a small party, we didn't need it.

But the best thing was the location. We sat right on Tahquitz Creek and the view was really lovely. Our neighbors were well hidden by trees, so it felt very private. The cabin has lots of windows, so it really takes advantage of the view. It's about a 2 mile walk into town, so it may or may not be walkable, depending on your level of fitness.

The only drawback was the Wi-fi internet was not working (wi-fi being one of the reasons we chose the cabin.) I know this happens everywhere, but we spoke to the proprietors a few times about this and they never even offered to come up and look at it. Even if there was nothing they could do, I think they should have made the effort. Since my husband and I had a little work we needed to get done during the week, they suggested we go into town and use the wi-fi at one of the cafes. Not a very workable suggestion since I don't think any business wants you to take up one of their tables for a few hours so you can work.

Wi-fi aside, we had a great trip. The main office offers DVD, games and sleds for you to borrow and firewood to purchase.

We would definitely recommend this cabin.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank PLSS

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 28 November 2011

To begin with, I've never heard of a place that allowed NO cancellations during the 90 day period prior to the first date of your visit. That alone should have tipped me off.

Unfortunately, I believed the good reviews on this site. Either the other cabins are much nicer or it's another case of friends helping friends deceive the public.

We stayed in cabin 5a. In that cabin, the thermostat has two settings: uncomfortably hot and uncomfortably cold (our stay was over Thanksgiving weekend). It was impossible to find a happy medium, although we kept trying. The male proprietor hit us with a list of rules when we came in without welcoming us. He was curt and unfriendly. (The female proprietor couldn't have been nicer, but we didn't see her until checkout time.)

The most serious problem was that the grating for the heat is on the floor on the way to the kitchen--and almost impossible to avoid stepping on. The grating gets hot enough to cause serious burns if you're barefoot, and they warned us about it when we first came in. Our dog hated the grate and stayed away from it, but young children (or even a careless adult) could easily get seriously burned.

There was a closet with hangers in the bathroom but no shelves, no drawers, nowhere to store unpacked clothes. The cabin is spacious enough for one to be added. I can't understand why they haven't provided this simple convenience.

There is a full kitchen, but it's quite small. It's also poorly stocked. There were no large bowls or casserole dishes in which to heat food in the microwave, just a few small dishes. The kitchen could accommodate one person, but there's absolutely no room for two.

Also, there was no easy chair. The two little wooden chairs were uncomfortable and fairly useless.

My husband wanted me to give Woodland Park Manor two stars, but it wasn't all bad.The cabin has a fireplace, and that was nice. There's a nice selection of movies in the office. One wall is glass and it gives a view of the surrounding terrain. The bathroom was adequate, and everything was clean. Plus it's close to town. But I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: If you book, don't choose 5a.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BetsyJ
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We stayed for the 3 day Labor day weekend in Creek Cottage. It was a perfect weekend. this cabin is adorable and very comfortable for a girl like me who doesn't really want to fully 'rough it' on vacation. Best part is the trickling creek in the back and the hammock. Kitchen has all the supplies you need. Approx 1 mile walk into town--but it was pretty grueling in the heat. this cabin is not completely secluded--but much more secluded than our house in the city. I highly recommend this cabin for a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jessfey
L.A.
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I've been coming to the Woodland Park Manor for years. I've tried other places in Idyllwild and keep coming back for the serenity and feeling of being in nature. What is most significant about these duplexes is that the style is mid-century architectural post and beam with almost two sides of glass. Sometimes I relax just as much by looking IN the room as looking OUT the windows.

As others have said, these are duplex cottages (5) with one private cottage down a little drive behind the duplexes. There's a courtyard in the middle with trees, benches and games to play, and the swimming pool is off to the side. Each duplex has a large and small side, with a door that opens to make a bigger cottage with three beds if you want to rent both sides. There are also private cottages offsite, but I haven't stayed in any of those.

Each unit has a deck, usually lined by small trees. Squirrels and bunnies run rampant throughout the entire site. You can buy some sunflower seeds and peanut hearts in town on your way to the cottages and spend hours on your deck throwing them to the squirrels, chattering blue jays and an occasional chipmunk.

The family who runs the place is very friendly and quick to provide service. They have books to read, dvds to play, and they can help you pick a good restaurant with their book of menus.

The decor is nothing fancy, and I've always wishes the bedspreads were a little more organic and a little less nylon. I've also always had trouble lighting a fire with the wood you can buy at the motel. Maybe that has more to say about my firemaking skills than the quality of the wood.

But the views through those huge windows, the way the squirrels and jays jump on the roof in the morning to wake you up, the private deck that you can lounge on for hours and the way you're surrounded by wood, both inside and outside your cabin, has always given "me" back to me.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank L.A.southernbelle
San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Woodland has several different Cabins - my review is on the Stonewood Cabin
This cabin has the most wonderful location on the hill, with a large deck above the trees offering great view into chain of mountains and the distant valley between them.
The cabin is equipped with high quality furniture, 3 flat TVs, and 3 dvd players. At the living room the TV is Samsung 55" and the DVD is BOSE with BOSE set of speakers!
The kitchen has everything we needed including dishwasher, olive oil, sets of teas.
And there is BBQ on the deck.
The showers are very convenient, and the only complaint I had was the toilet too small.
When we checked in the owner offered us to select DVDs out of their big library for free, and there were more CDs and DVDs at the cabin itself.
The internet speed was surprisingly high, I didn't expect that speed in such a place.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family