“Great music for free”

The Bistro
Ranked #64 of 355 Restaurants in Hayward
Cuisines: French
Reviewed 30 September 2014

I've been going here since the 80's and I still like it. They always have good beer and it's cool that you can just walk in and enjoy the music.

Date of visit: August 2014

Reviewed 3 September 2014

Great people, great live music, great beer, great wine, great bartenders, great vibe, great events (i.e.IPA Fest, Double IPA Fest, St Patty's corned beef, etc...). It is not a restaurant, but they will pair cheese with your beer or wine. On weekends it get crowded, with loud music(often local blues, jazz, or jam bands) No pool tables, but they are at the other bars across the street.

Date of visit: October 2013
Reviewed 22 July 2014

all brews are small and boutique'ish.....music at night, from blues to rock.....small food menu, but good.....stuff like soup, crackers/cheese, dips.....they sell beer and wine...lots of atmosphere

Date of visit: July 2014
1  Thank alcojunkyarddog
Reviewed 12 March 2013

My companion and I dined here only because of what appeared to be a great deal from a major national coupon service which offered a three-course dinner with champagne with a retail value of over $100 for only $49. The restaurant is only a few miles from our home and I was curious about what seemed to be a nearby high-end restaurant.

At 5:30 on a weeknight, we were the only diners. There were about six customers in the bar which is separated from the restaurant by only a mesh curtain. The noise of recorded music in the bar made it impossible for people there to talk in normal voices, so they were almost shouting at each other. We would have left before being seated if we had not purchased the coupon. The music was turned down after our request to our waitress, but the bar patrons continued to shout.

The food was of good quality, thought certainly not of gourmet level. However, the bar patrons continued to shout. Fortunately the service was fast and and we left this unbearably noisy environment within an hour. There still were no other restaurant patrons when we left at 6:30.

Date of visit: March 2013
2  Thank Wildwooder
Reviewed 5 February 2013

First of all, don't expect to eat at the Bistro, at least at 9pm on a weeknight. I'm not sure they even have a kitchen. What the "joint" has are friendly customers, live music, and a great choice of beers. This is a local bar, but I didn't get any sort of vibe that I was not welcome. Have a beer or two, then eat at one of the nearby restaurants, and then come back to have a beer and a shot and listen to some music. Great way to pass an evening when you're on the road.

Date of visit: December 2012
1  Thank Jim F

Been to The Bistro? Share your experiences!