See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I do not normally leave poor reviews, but in this case I feel like I have to.

The short story:
My fiance and I wanted to have our wedding here. Joy and Harold were great, very helpful and excited to host our wedding. Sadly, they no longer work for Big Creek Meadow Ranch.

Ann- the owner- is awful. She "forgot" about meetings (which we drove three hours to attend), didn't seem to care about our event, talked to us like we ere children, blamed everything on Joy and Harold, lied a bunch (was going to charge us $25.00 a head for "catering" plus $30.00 per hour per person- which she wanted 5 people for a buffet- and later admitted she was going to buy everything pre-cooked from the local market to keep her cost down). She could never remember the price she quoted us, she DOUBLE BOOKED OUR ROOMS, and then kept our deposit even though we gave her over 60 days notice and she was the first to breach the contract.

You want the long version? Email me. I'll tell you all about it. Shawnjess13@gmail.com.

I am furious. I have never experienced such unprofessional behavior from someone I was paying a fair amount of money to. Wedding planning is stressful enough- DO NOT LET THIS WOMAN RUIN YOUR EVENT. We decided it was worth the costs to cancel with the ranch, buy new invitations, and deal with the stress of changing our venue just 3 months from our date so that we never had to talk to Ann again. I asked for my full deposit back, which I was of course denied. So we gave this woman $470.00 to treat us like crap.

Hence this review. I feel robbed by Ann Shafter. I would not trust her at all- either here or at her sister hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Jessica P
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We stayed for one night while visiting Yosemite. Joy and her husband made us feel right at home. Since we are animal lovers, we really enjoyed the farm. We loved sitting on the deck and watching the animals. It is inconvenient that you have to drive to Groveland which was 5 miles further than the ranch from Yosemite to check in. We then had to drive back to the ranch. The owner should let people check in at Big Creek Ranch.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Arrived at check-in to find a notice, 'Receptionist on break' and instructions to use phone on porch. This had a recorded message to leave a cell phone number and we would be contacted shortly. Unfortunately, there was no cell phone reception. Had to wait over 1/2 hour for the owners to turn up with apologies citing, 'out of range' telephone reception. My concerns about the poor level of service were dismissed as a one off problem despite the fact we had met some guests coming out of the hotel telling us they had the same problem. The owners were, in my opinion disingenuous.
The BCM Ranch was small and quaint with limited facilities and a very friendly couple as managers.Suitable for one or two nights because it is a little different.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael-Aileen
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed for one night on our way to Yosemite. I adored the cozy-homey ranch. Joy and her husband were great hosts and I LOVED the five week old kittens. Not for the snooty, but a great country experience!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I am really glad to share with you the great experience we have had in this lovely ranch, surrounded by meadows and amazing views of Yosemite Park (an hour's drive away). We've been warmly welcomed by Joy and enjoyed so much her cosy, spacious, comfortable room and the quietness of the place. Each of the three rooms has its own private terrasse and you can enjoy Joy's breakfast there while surrounded by her adorable, sociable kittens. The place is beautiful, relaxing and so welcoming we would have liked to spend more than one night there!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple