“Service a joke, menus out of date, food unavailable”

Hilton Garden Inn Gilroy
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Gilroy
Reviewed 13 February 2010

This style of Hilton is not exactly what one would expect. Upon arrival, I had to make myself known to the two gentlemen at the front desk, who proceded to eye me with a raised eyebrow. I was then provided my keys, and (since I asked for a valentines special package) they were supposed to provide me Champagne at a certain time (which I requested beforehand) they were incredibly early and ruined the timing of the evening with my wife. Worse yet, I had expected to be able to order room service, having asked when the kitchen was open till I was not warned "there's no room service." I found out later when I read the menu and attempted to call for a meal. No one answered, apparently they were not available. At 7 pm on the Friday before valentines, while the hotel is providing special packages specially for couples the restaurant was closed before 8pm. It was a travesty. I couldn't even order something to bring back to my room. Nobody was around the main desk following 9pm. So, when I went to hook up my netbook to do some searching for good dining around and found I didn't have a cat5 cable we were out of luck since nobody was there to assist in either getting me connected to the wifi (which didn't work out of the box) or allowing me to purchase/rent a cable. Thank god for the iPhone or this night would have been ruined. After dinner we rented a movie, which the price of which was not well displayed (15.99!) and I purchased it without fully understanding how much it would cost. Later we went to bed after having the 20 dollar bottle of champagne (which cost 30 dollars a night extra....) and were awoken constantly by either the staff making calls right outside our full length single paned windows, or by the gym which was right behind us. Had the room booked for 2 nights, left after one.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Oriumpor

Reviewed 30 January 2010

My husband sent me here for a getaway weekend for time alone and shopping. What I noticed first was that I wasn't even greeted upon arrival . I had to get the attention of the two individuals working the desk (even though no one else was in the lobby). When I checked in, I wasn't told about breakfast, I wasn't given a wifi code, I was only given my key. I didn't even merit an "enjoy your stay". I did ask specifically at check-in to have a room on the top floor. Couldn't do it for some reason even though he said they were only half full. I then asked if it was possible to get a room with no one above me, I was told certainly, as they were not very full. (Why I couldn't have the room above my third floor room was beyond me) Anyway, I ended up having a family above me that sounded like a herd of elephants.
In any dealings I had with staff, to ask questions, calling to get my wifi code, etc., they were extremely unfriendly, as if I was keeping them from their work for the two seconds it took to answer me. For $129 for one person, I sure expected a lot more "luxury". I enjoy my stay at the holiday inn express far more and they even provide breakfast!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank ustravelermom
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We spent one night here while driving through on our way to Monterey, CA. The hotel
was a little pricey at $169, but the rooms were very nice, roomy, with a very comfortable
bed. This hotel had a nice exercise area, and a cook to order breakfast. While my stay
here was pleasant, and I have no complaints with the hotel, if I was traveling through
again, I would see if I could find something a little less pricey, especially since this is
not a vacation destination, but is only a place to stay while in transit.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2009

The property is an older HGI but standard issue other than the pool is outside. No pool towels was odd.

While the rooms are ok they cut corners.No management staff on duty at all night or day apparently trying to save money.

The breakfast service was awful. Their hot breakfast consisted of fruit and danish. No bacon, sausage or eggs. Lines of customers and the chef/cook was ignoring everyone. Not sure if he was cooking hot items for later diners or not. Very confusing and no one to address customers.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Stevied888
Reviewed 19 May 2009

We stopped in Gilroy before going down the California coast. A lot of the hotels in the coastal resorts have big price hikes at the weekend so we decided to stay in Gilroy where prices were 40% cheaper on a Saturday night. We wanted to do some shopping there so the Hilton Garden Inn seemed like a good choice. Even though our room was close to the freeway we slept fine, it wasn't too noisy. The hotel was clean and the room was perfectly fine. We had a good breakfast at the Sunrise Cafe around the corner then hit the more expensive resorts from Sunday to Thursday when rooms are cheaper. Overall a good choice if you're in the area and want somewhere to spend the night.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gilroy
3.8 km away
Econo Lodge
#5 of 9 in Gilroy
31.3 km away
Best Western Seacliff Inn

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Gilroy? Share your experiences!