All reviews gold country honeymoon suite feather bed meet other guests hot tub marshall gold discovery the mexican restaurant private bath both mornings wine tasting sitting room breakfast was delicious fresh fruit americana furniture placerville hallway
Reviewed 6 August 2017

We just stayed here when we explored the historic Gold Country in Northern California and had a wonderful time! The decor was funky and a little creepy but it's all part of its quaint and antique-y charm. They said our room was haunted (if you're into that, ask for Room 5) but luckily for us we didn't see or hear any paranormal activity. The staff was very friendly without being overbearing and had good suggestions for nearby restaurants and activities. Our breakfast both days was really good--the buttermilk oatmeal pancakes are to die for--and they put out wine and hors d'oeuvres in the afternoon which was a nice touch. We didn't get a chance to use the hot tub in their spacious backyard but that seemed nice as well. Side note: the city of Georgetown itself is not the best because a) there really isn't that much there and b) what is there closes on the earlier side, but at least it is not a far drive to nearby historic towns like Placerville and Coloma. Also, we have Sprint and AT&T and did not get any service, although we got free wifi in the room which helped. If that doesn't deter you, stay at the American River Inn to experience a great little piece of history!

Room tip: Room 5 has its own bathroom, a tv, and access to the 2nd story veranda
Date of stay: July 2017
Reviewed 7 July 2017

I choose this Bed and Breakfast by photos. I choose a suite so I could have a good room. Unfortunately the suite we got did not match the pictures. I expected it to be to period, but a lot of the linens, carpet, torn window screens and worn out appliances and furniture did not look like pictures. Warning if it is hot weather they have a swamp cooler which really does no good on the third floor. My husband works on historical preservation buildings so we're a little jaded. Biggest concern with property is the chipped paint everywhere, since prior paint was lead based. The Staff where over the top in customer service though, breakfast was wonderful and they where very helpful. That being said they really need to do some work on their higher priced suites. If you come here choose 2nd floor.

Room tip: 2nd floor if it is hot only a swamp cooler doesn't work well above that
Date of stay: June 2017
Reviewed 30 May 2017

I must have stayed at a different inn than the reviewer who referred to The American River Inn as "old and tired". It certainly is old, and they are performing constant maintenance on the exterior, but absolutely beautiful inside. I was able to peek into all the rooms and found every one to be perfectly maintained (albeit with some of the wrinkles of age, that I think just add to the ambiance) and as charming as could be. The public and private areas are all neat as a pin, thoughtfully appointed and a joy to occupy. I had booked one of the top floor suites, but as my husband had a knee injury and didn't want to climb two flights of stairs, we ended up in Room 5 on the second floor. The suites on the top floor were beautiful and Room 14 had a wood stove, four-poster, and a view of the gardens. But our room had access to the veranda and our personal ghost (who did not visit...not sure if that was good or bad!) Wine, cheese and freshly prepared hot snacks in the sitting room in the afternoon and a lovely breakfast in a truly beautiful breakfast room topped off our stay. Most of all, everyone on the staff that we met was friendly as could be and eager to do whatever they could to make our visit enjoyable. I would love to go back and stay longer next time. If you enjoy history and historic homes, check out The American River Inn.

Date of stay: May 2017
1  Thank RenoHighlander
Reviewed 15 May 2017

My daughter and I went white water river rafting on the American River, out of Lotus, CA, with Action White Water, for a special Mother's Day get-a-way. This was our 2nd annual Mother's Day adventure. We didn't want an ordinary motel, and anyway there wasn't much to choose from in the area. It seems that most river rafters were camping, but that is too much trouble for one night. We found the American River Inn in Georgetown, just 11 miles from Lotus.

This place was lovely. Yes, it is old, but quaint and enchanting. If you want an ordinary, unmemorable, chain motel, you should stay at one. Every room is different, and we enjoyed being able to peek inside each one. The unoccupied rooms have the doors left open so you can view them. We were supposed to have to share our bathroom but I don't think anyone else used it. The makeshift shower is in a claw foot tub. I had a difficult time adjusting the water, but finally got it right.

For Mother's Day, Sunday breakfast, we were served Mimosa's, fresh fruit with whipped cream, quiche and a muffin. It was delicious and perfect.

The staff is friendly, helpful and welcoming.

I called down and asked for the wifi password. I was told I would have to come downstairs. I think that the wifi signal doesn't make it to the 2nd floor, where we were. I never did try their internet.

My only gripe was the bed. The mattress was too hard for my taste, but maybe that is just me. The pillow was like a brick. It took me a very long time to fall asleep. I usually bring my own pillow when I stay in a motel. I didn't want to lug it to a B&B, but I should have. The bedding was too warm, and there wasn't a lightweight blanket to use instead of the heavy quilt.

We really enjoyed the lighted hot tub and had it all to ourselves. They supplied a nice robe and towels for the hot tub. They think of everything, even a lantern to use if there is a power outage.

After breakfast we managed to find the Georgetown Nature Preserve, thanks to Google. The nature walk is NOT just off the B&B property, but is not too far away. The trail to the University (or Pilot) Waterfall is closed. We enjoyed the nature preserve.

Saturday night we walked thru the quaint little town, and then a mile to the Divide Restaurant, highly recommended. I will also write a review for that. We had a wonderful weekend!

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2017

if you are more interested in the 'look and decor' and like Victorian ambience, you may like this place. if you expect and need a good bed and shower, stay away. Bed in room 5, the king room, is just a raggy mattress and topper on worn out springs. Shower is in a claw foot tub, with a pipe ring curtain around it, any one of full size will be 'surrrounded' by soapy plastic, and getting in and out of slippery tub is fairly difficult and dangerous. The wine and cheese may impress those not aquainted with such, but not for any minor food and wine consumer. and the WiFi does not work, could connect at any time over two days, one of the folks spoke of a 'dial up' service? Oh yeah, every bit of floor space has some kind of furniture on it. Now, the folks are quite pleasant and the breakfast very good.

Room tip: may be a decent bed in the third floor, I did not check them
Date of stay: April 2017