“The Wellerhouse Inn has much to offer!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Weller House Inn
Ranked #3 of 13 Fort Bragg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Roseville, California, United States
“The Wellerhouse Inn has much to offer!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed two nights at the Wellerhouse Inn in Fort Bragg. We chose to stay in the tower adjacent to the house in the "Heather" room. It has a beautiful view and one perk we did not count on was the easy access to the roof to watch the sunset. It was a beautiful way to enjoy a cocktail too!. "Vivian", the owner gave us a tour of the house and all the rooms. We were impressed with her personal touch and attention to detail when decorating the house, staying eco-green and serving organic with her lavish breakfast. All the rooms have fresh cotton linens and towels all appropriate to the era of the house. The redwood ballroom is spectacular and what a wonderful place to entertain and enjoy the tango. We did not participate in the tango, but did listen to music and the acoustics of the room are great! I can only imagine what a wedding would be like at this beautiful home and garden. Vivian's ginger scones are delicious and the fresh squeezed orange juice is like none other. We will definitely tell our friends and family about this BB and it is a special place in Fort Bragg. We found this place on Living Social and enjoyed our quick trip to the coast!

Room Tip: We loved staying in the tower! Ask for the room called "Heather"
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Folks, I've been to many bed and breakfasts. I can resoundingly say Weller House Inn tops my list. I wanted to go to every possible website to promote this establishment. Vivien, our caretaker, did what any great host/hostess would do - excited, enlightened, entertained.
I am writing a completely different review than the one on yelp, as I feel it's important to express my gratitude for the treatment my girlfriend and I received.

Our trip to Fort Bragg, was to say the least, a long & arduous one. Windy roads, and creeping darkness between us and our destination. When my girlfriend and I had finally reached Weller House Inn, we were both greeted by Vivien, our innkeeper. What a sweet woman; smiling gently upon my girlfriend and I. We were welcomed into the Inn. Given a tour of the house, we were made known, the history of Weller House Inn. I couldn't help but fascinate myself at the molding of the ceiling. In the very last room, we were introduced to the first of many delightful talents Vivien was skilled at, Argentinian Tango. I recalled my own interest in Argentinian Tango and days listening (on repeat) records of the late & great Astor Piazzolla. I'm a huge fan of architecture and design by the way. I gleefully remarked at the craftsmanship, well known to many past guests of this inn. All while being given a brief historical perspective of the room we were in. They've got a remarkable shelf of books as well if you're interested.

We went downstairs to head to bed.

Our beds, nicely made. Our rooms, impeccably clean. Our furnishings, noticeably classic. It was like stepping into the room a century ago. A time machine, if you will. My girlfriend and I learned much from our trip here. We even learned our caretaker teaches tango on certain weeks and/or days. I felt very well being there.

Awakening from a long trip, we head to breakfast. The eggs were so good. All organic eggs used - I saw the chicken coop outside the inn. The choice of fruit, delectable. Afterward, we traveled around town. Came back expecting to head to bed, but my girlfriend and I were invited to join for wine & cheese. How could we resist? A good few glasses of Bordeaux & Chardonnay, some cheese, good company - what's not to love?

My girlfriend and my days spent here were unforgettable. Our days filled with flashes of brilliance and genuine care. If you make one decision to explore Fort Bragg, CA please do yourselves a favor, ladies and gentleman, check this place out. In the immortal words of LeVar Burton, "you don't have to take my word for it".

Room Tip: Make sure you pick a room with a fireplace; especially if you're a couple!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vivtango, Manager at Weller House Inn, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
You are most welcome, and thank you for so much appreciation! Hope to see you soon again. All the best,
Vivien
Danville, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

My special guy picked staying at the Weller House for his birthday present to combine his desires to go tide pooling with our mutual love of tango. The owner, Vivien, was very attentive over the phone in answering the questions I had to put together this birthday weekend and the several changes I ended up making in dates, rooms, etc. When we arrived, I did not think that the room in the Watertower suited my guy's visual taste, so Vivien was extremely accommodating in changing us to a room (fortunately there was one available), that better met Greg's since of aesthetics. The room was decorated with lovely antiques, seemed to have a heated floor with a tastefully designed bathroom with modern conveniences and everything was very clean. The ballroom is absolutely incredible; without a doubt it is the most beautiful dance floor I have ever danced on. The ballroom is available for dance practice for guests, one of my guy's highlights of the weekend. The tango event was well-organized and the community really friendly with good leaders. Breakfasts both mornings were fabulous with attention to organic, well-prepared food with a lovely presentation and even accommodated guests' individual food requirements. There was fresh-squeezed orange juice, home-made marmalade, and home made lemon curd. After checking out the last morning, there were piping hot homemade scones on a plate for departing guests to enjoy as they left...Need I say more?!

Vivien is a fabulous b and b proprietor who understands how to create a wonderful atmosphere for guests while running the establishment as a business so things are organized and appreciated by guests.

Many thanks Vivien...we will be back!

Room Tip: We preferred the rooms in the main house.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

I have stayed in B&B's before and found The Weller House less than acceptable. The cleanliness was not up-to-par, including wooden toilet seats in the guest room. Unacceptable and not sanitary. The curtains were about to fall apart, windows broken (rope to open), room was sold as "king size" when actually it was a king mattress on an antique double bed frame. The twin bed was an air blow up mattress - what any size adult would be comfortable on this bed? The breakfast seating times were too late; breakfast choices were less than acceptable. We chose to eat at Dennys our last morning. The Inn has no common room, nor is there coffee, tea or cold drinks nor muffins, cookies ever available during the day/evening. It seems the management is more interested in their "tango" clients vs. their house guests.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank W B
Vivtango, Manager at Weller House Inn, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Dear Disappointed,

We are very sorry you were not satisfied with your stay, and thank you for taking the time to let us know why; we always want to know of anything which could use improvement. But it would have been even more helpful if you had let us know while you were here, so we could have tried to make your stay more enjoyable. Of all the resources you invest in a vacation, time is by far the most precious, as it can never be refunded.

Among all the authentic antiques used throughout this historic 1886 home, cheap imitation antique bedframes would seem instantly out of place. King and queen size beds were virtually unknown in that era, and yet we try to satisfy the modern preference for these larger sizes. So we reconstruct full size antique bedframes with solid support for the larger mattresses. With a Queen size, once it is made up with our puffy down comforters and pillows, if people notice anything it is usually the quality of the bedlinens. But we agree that a King mattress looks pretty silly in a full bedframe, and have a woodworker scheduled to come in February especially to create a suitable head and footboard, using some matching material from another antique bedframe.

Most of our guests do not require multiple beds in their room. While we have a few rooms regularly equipped with twin sized daybeds, we have one 'blow-up' twin bed to bring in for special requests. It is the best we can find - Grandin Road brand, and cost about $200. If anybody knows of any better, please let us know. When used it is dressed with our usual quality cotton mattress pads, high thread-count Egyptian cotton sheets, cotton blankets, and down pillows and comforters.

With continued attention to period decor, we have one pull-chain toilet which has a modern reproduction wooden seat (this is one item which mercifully does not survive the use of the ages!) It is thoroughly cleaned, just the same as the modern white ones used in all of the other rooms. The shabby old curtains you mention, I'm glad to report, have been replaced with beautiful velvet full length material; it had long been on our to-do list, but with the limitations of the recent economy and the fact that we have 52 long tall windows to dress, it was put off until we had taken care of the first priority, quality bedding and robes. The windows with broken rope, while operable, are also on the to do list for our incoming woodworker (if it was easy, it would have been fixed long ago). As our housekeeper says, "Paso a pasito, mas bonito" (Step by little step, more beautiful.)

We have long been pondering the issue of providing a public common room in addition to our splendid ballroom, cozy little snug room, and the original dining room of the main house. So we are preparing the Library for public use, with the fine old fireplace it is just the place for afternoon tea, etc.

Last but not least, the subject of Breakfast, dear to the heart of any innkeeper. We take care to procure only the best quality ingredients, mainly organic and local, and serve at the time most suited for the majority of our guests on the given morning, with a two hour window of time on account of Safe Serve guidelines. We cater to a great variety of guests with very different schedules, from early morning birders to late night dancers. But our priority is to provide the best ingredients at their freshest state. For example, orange juice is not some factory produced item ever-ready on the buffet counter; we wait until guests are seated to slice and squeeze organic oranges, so we can provide the very freshest and tastiest juice.

For similar reasons we prefer not to let baked goods sit around during the day, and most of our guests are happy with the bowls of fresh organic fruit in front hall and dining room, available for a quick snack or handy to grab on the way out for a stroll. But as they say, there is no disputing taste, and we can't please everybody all the time. If you prefer eating at Denny's, I'm glad you found something you like, and hope you will be satisfied in every way with your very next trip, wherever that may be.

best regards,
Vivien
Maui
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

We had a delightful one-night stay in Fort Bragg, at the Weller House Inn. We stayed in the Raven room, on the second floor of the water tower. It was quiet, and quite enjoyable. The large tub and a gas fireplace in the bedroom were especially nice on a cold evening after a long drive. The bed was large and comfortable, and we had plenty of room for our things for our short stay.

The breakfast of quiche, toast, a variety of jams, tea, coffee, and orange juice was delicious. We could have selected freshly-prepared eggs, but the quiche was great. The Weller House Inn also attracted an interesting mix of guests, so we enjoyed a wide-ranging breakfast conversation.

The owner is also a tango dancer, and has a music/dance space in the B&B. So if you enjoy dancing you might want to schedule your stay around a milonga or other tango event.

Room Tip: The water tower room we were in was private and quiet, with parking close to the room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Emerald Dolphin Inn
#7 of 22 in Fort Bragg
15.9 km away
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites

Been to Weller House Inn? Share your experiences!