All reviews dog run gardens are beautiful harvest market room was clean garden area fish cleaning station continental breakfast dog park fire pit great place to stay picnic tables would stay here again fresh fruit fridge and microwave short drive parking lot king bed
Reviewed 29 October 2018

The proprietors need to take a class in Inn-keeping 101. The room clearly had not been cleaned in ages. There was body hair from prior guests on the bathroom floor, along with insects corpses and dust bunnies. The shower and sink had gunk build-up around the drains and along the sides. When we told the manager that there were dirty towels on the back of the bathroom door, they removed them, but did not replace them with clean towels. The second day we came back to clean towels, but they had not wiped down the bathroom nor cleaned the coffee maker or replaces the amenities. The towels they provided were small, threadbare, and stained. They did not provide a bathmat, so we had to use a hand towel. There were other issues, but I will say that the breakfast area for the cereal, juice, toast, etc.. seemed clean. In my opinion, the manager either doesn't understand the fundamentals of taking care of a motel, or he is lazy and not willing to do even bare minimum. With that said, there are some good things too, which is why I am giving two stars. The gardens are pretty and there are places to walk around a sit and enjoy the scenery. The place is dog friendly, and had a place to run your dog. I think that with better management, this place could be an ideal place to stay.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
surfmotelandgardens, Guest Relations Manager at Surf Motel and Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2018

Thank you for your review, as we depend on them to ensure customer satisfaction. we are sorry this was your experience with our hotel, as you can tell in many other reviews our rooms are always clean and our staff is very atentive.

Reviewed 21 October 2018

The surroundings and gardens make this a nicer motel than some of the more basic motel we stayed in. The room was clean and adequate. Its a quiet place to sleep. Breakfast was OK but there was no jam (jelly) to put on the toast so a little more basic than some of the other places the stayed. Its also near to the harbour so some way from the town centre so you can't walk into town if you want to have a few drinks .

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
surfmotelandgardens, Public Relations Manager at Surf Motel and Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2018

Thank you for your review, as we depend on them to ensure customer satisfaction. We are sorry to hear we were out of jelly during your stay, but we do offer jelly in the morning with toast.

Reviewed 18 October 2018 via mobile

We were here last month and had such a wonderful time that when we decided to come back here to Fort Bragg We came back to the Surf Motel & Gardens because it is beautiful, quiet and the staff is awesome. We love this place.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

I’m sure there are dirtier motels, but this was by far the dirtiest room I have ever personally had. Even in fine hotels, I use my sanitizing wipes to wipe down every surface. In this case, my sanitizing wipes were coming out literally black when I wiped down the services. Especially in the shower!

Another disappointment is when I pulled the sheets back, they were stained and had hair. I requested a fresh set of sheets, which were placed on the bed very quickly. I did appreciate that.

The carpets were so dirty, my feet were black by the end of my stay. This was a stop on a 10 Day Rd. trip, and I couldn’t wait to get to our next hotel, so that I could take a shower and scrub my feet! I felt dirty for days afterwards.

The garden area if the lovely! They spend a lot of time with the upkeep there and it shows. I just wish they would spend that much time deep cleaning their rooms.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, as we depend on them to ensure customer satisfaction. We are sorry to hear of your expirience as it is not a common one when it comes to our hotel, as you can see in plenty of reviews from previous guest, the most common factor was the rooms were all very clean.

Reviewed 8 October 2018

The location was perfect, right off highway 1 on our 3 week roadtrip.Wee booked this stay on 8/8/18 for a 1 night stay on 9/14/18 based on reviews on Trip Advisor and Expedia. The outside grounds and check in facility were very attractive. The check in staff was friendly and easy. It has been years since we have stayed at a motel, and it appears the rooms have not been updated in as many years. The room key was required to turn on the heat, which I have never seen before. The room was dirty, I am sorry to say - especially the bathroom. I was glad to have my Clorax wipes and Lysol spray on hand. We decided not to stay for the complimentary breakfast.

Room tip: Ask to see it first.
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, as we depend on them to ensure customer satisfaction. We are sorry to hear of your expirience however as you said most of our reviews from previous guest are great ones pin pointing our hotels cleanliness and great customer service. As for the energy conservation device for the ac/heater unit we are sorry that you found it strange but we are just trying to do our part in saving the enviorment.