“New chef/owners run a great little place”
Review of Heron's by the Sea - CLOSED

Heron's by the Sea
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 June 2015

This location has been very popular in the past but the original owners came to a sad end. It's been under a couple of owners since but the couple that own it and cook now do a wonderful job. We've eaten lunch there several times in the past 120 days and the food was really great. The fish and chips we had last time were the best in town. It's an unpretentious place but has a lovely outside patio right on the harbor that we love when the weather permits. Nice place, nice people, good food, a bit pricey, lovely location right on the water.

2  Thank MendoPaul

Reviewed 15 June 2015 via mobile

Went for an early dinner to sit on the harbor. Nice place to sit for drinks. Food was ok. Chef needs to be a little more inspired. All edible, but certainly not remarkable. And a little pricey for what you get.

Reviewed 27 May 2015

First off, my husband and I have been to this restaurant before and had a good experience (over a year ago), however, on our recent visit this was one of our worst dining experiences ever. I was looking forward to a good seafood dinner and ordered the halibut, however, when it came out, it was very dry and overcooked to the point of being rubbery. I brought it to the attention of our server and she lacked any concern over making my meal better. I asked if I might be able to get a new piece of fish and after her speaking with the cook, (who we could overhear very loudly speaking angrily in Spanish from the kitchen), she returned and said that they no longer had any more halibut and I received the last piece. I asked if I could switch it to salmon and again after returning from the kitchen, they had conveniently "found" anther piece of halibut and she asked how I wanted it cooked, as if it were a piece of steak, (this is not how seafood is ordered but I went with it). I had not gotten more than a couple bites of my side dishes when the server took my entire plate. Once my second plate came out, the portions were noticeably smaller, yet the new piece of halibut LOOKED better, yet when I cut into it, it was obviously very under-cooked and raw in parts and the accompanying salsa and sides were all cold. I am generally not a complainer but I could not bring myself to eat nearly raw fish and didn't appreciate the cold food and rude treatment. I once again brought it to the servers attention and she was still unapologetic. I asked her to please remove my meal from the check (all this being said, my husband did enjoy his cioppino) and she got very argumentative stating this was an expensive piece of fish and she couldn't remove it from the check and it would be taken out of her own pocket. (Now I was in no way blaming the server for the way the fish was cooked, this is the fault of the cook, but the way she handled the situation was extremely unprofessional and downright rude; plus, the server should not be charged for a problem with the food). She again spoke to the cook and once again we heard a lot of yelling coming from the kitchen. She came back and said they would go ahead and take it off the check, yet when the check arrived, they conveniently forgot to remove it. During this time, another customer came in who we overheard ordering the same halibut and nothing was ever said about them not having any more. She was obviously caught in a lie. We got the check straightened out but never once was there an apology or any professionalism. We will not be returning.

1  Thank Kristina O
Reviewed 13 May 2015

Had dinner at Heron's - food was very good. Understaffed, but the owner or manager (?) did his best to accommodate us. Picnic tables were a bit dirty for eating outside. Nice view of the setting sun. Minimal surrounds.

Reviewed 31 March 2015

We have gone to this restaurant 3 times now and have always had excellent service and the food is awesome. The salads are fresh and delicious, fish and chips are crisp and fresh and the three cheese shrimp lunch is to die for. Our granddaughter could not get enough of the Heron's chips which are freshly made with a light blue cheese sauce and salsa. We will be going back the next time we are in Fort Bragg.

4  Thank smayo44