“Beautiful, peaceful, and easy trip down the Russian River”

Burke's Canoe Trips on the Russian River
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Forestville
More attraction details
Owner description: Burke's offers canoe rentals for ten mile trips down the Russian River. No experience is necessary, but you must know how to swim.
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Burke's made it very easy for my family of four to relax and enjoy the treasures the Russian River. Great price, great location. We had one canoe for two adults and two 12 year olds. Highly suggest Burke's as a getaway from the wineries and we didn't even have reservations.

1  Thank cbletzacker

Reviewed 27 July 2011

We rented a canoe and a Kayak for a family of four. Our daughters are 10 & 12 and were not allowed to "paddle" on their own in a canoe but the oldest was allowed to rent a Kayak. The girls had spent a fair amount of time in canoes in the past but Burke would not be the rules for us. It actually worked out well for the girls took turns on the Kayak. I wish we would have started out early so we could have stopped at more beaches down the river. The trip took us about three and half hours.

I would recommend Burkes to any of my friends and it is a great way to spend a day

Reviewed 12 June 2011

We rented a pair of canoes at Burke's and paddled 10 miles down the river. The river is very pleasant and peaceful. Our pre-teen girls were able to help with the paddling (though their arms were tired by the end). There are a number of beaches along the way that you can stop at for lunch or a swim -- some are private, but others are public. As for Burke's itself, there's not much to it. You give them money (CASH ONLY), they give you a canoe and a few helpful tips, and then they give you a ride back. We did have to wait longer than the advertised 30 minutes for the bus ride back, I think because the bus driver was parked in the shade and didn't bother driving all the way down to the beach pickup spot (no tip for him!).

A caution: We went at a quiet time of year, but I can see that, at the height of summer, this stretch of river could get crowded owing to the aforementioned beaches, other boats, etc.

2  Thank flipper314
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We did the trip in 4 hours. Our 10 yo was rowing at the front, husband at rear and myself sitting in the middle. The river is very clean, full of wildlife. There is a resort kind stretch right in the middle of the trip with private beaches but it only lasts for half and hour. Canoe is made of metal, so it was a bit cold for me to seat, I would ask them next time to give me a broken life vest to seat on it. very easy rowing, couple rapid currents but they are in shallow waters and managable by inexperienced rowers. My the only concern was not to get into the water. But we managed to be in balance and did not see anybody to be soaked. Water is of pleasant temperature. Burke's canoe goes much faster than the inflatable one I tried before.

Reviewed 30 September 2008

Just completed their 10-mile trip down the Russian River. It was everything we had hoped for. A beautiful day and a peaceful river. The river is kept remarkably clean of trash. We saw many canoes containing people cleaning debris out of the river. It was amazing the stuff they pulled out. The trip took about 4 hours and was pleasant from check-in to the return.

3  Thank geomom01