Bay of Plenty Lodge
Waitui Basecamp(Matacawalevu Island)
  • Beachfront
Long Beach Resort(Matacawalevu Island)
  • Restaurant
Isa Lei Glampsite(Matacawalevu Island)
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 April 2015

I feel terrible for writing this review, as I know its their livelihood and income, but something needs to be said.

My partner and I were doing a round the world trip last year and decided to do some island hopping while in fiji. We booked Bay of Plenty for our 4th night on the chain, and were used to the little boats coming to the ferry and dropping off and picking up.
When we were due to go to BoP, we should have seen the warning signs.. All the staff on the ship looked surprised when we said we were staying, and the boat that came to pick us up, didnt drop anyone off, and only picked us two up!

We arrived and were made to walk across loads of mud, as this is set in the mangroves. it also makes it pretty dirty and smelly on approach.

The woman greeted us as made us some lunch, and then asked us to pay her. It was so informal, and she didnt even know how much we owed her.

so we paid, and spent the afternoon chilling out. As we were THE ONLY PEOPLE staying at the resort, they put us in a hilltop bure which sounded lovely, but it was the beginning of a nightmare.

The bure was dirty, and the bug screens were torn and ripped all around. there was a bunk bed next to the double bed, a chair and nothing else.

At dinner, we saw the list of activities including cava ceremonies and snake charming, but as we were the only people there we felt awkward asking them to provide entertainement for us, and just went to bed.

At around 9pm, we noticed ants on the floor. by about 11pm, there were more and we tried to spray them.

by 4am, after not sleeping a wink from the mosquitos everywhere, i looked down at the floor and realised that it wasnt the darkness making the floor black.. it was ants.
the floor was black with ants.

we too refuge on the top bunk of the bed, and tried to ignore them until the sun came up. We couldnt go and tell anyone or get help, as there was nobody there. they had gone back to the village to their own homes.. we just had to wait until morning.

by the morning, we literally hadnt slept, and were so pissed off. there were ants in all of our things.. everywhere.. we couldnt even shake our clothes off outside because there was nowhere to leave our bags away from the ants.

We spoke to the woman in the morning, and we tried to be as polite as possible. She didnt say much, and didnt really apologise. We didnt get any money back, but they did let us use the kayaks for free (as there was nothing to do we had to get away from the resort!)

when it was about the time to leave to catch the ferry, we asked if they were ready to take us. They made up some story about how the boat wasnt coming today, and that we would need to pay them $60 ($30 each) to take us to our next resort. this was obviously a lie, because the boat was running every day and we had confirmed with the captain.. but there was nothing we could do.. we were stuck..

so we didnt pay, and told them we would pay them on arrival at the next resort. this was in the hopes that we could explain to the next resort, who would know it was a lie, and they would turn back on their word out of embarrassment.. no such luck.

we waited on a sand bar in the ocean while they drove off with our bags to get fuel and didnt come back for at least half an hour. i honestly thought we had been robbed and they had just left us.. it was horrible.

they eventually came back, and did loads of stops along the way at friends houses or to just have a smoke, then eventually we arrived at the next resort.

we were made to pay around 100m off shore, or they wouldnt take us in.. there was nothing we could do..

the whole 24 hours is a bit laughable now, it sounds like im exaggerating but im not..

i just wish they could go back to the resort they once were.. its such a shame!

Room Tip: please dont stay
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Stumpymule
Reviewed 4 October 2014

We pay too much for what we get. The bure was very old and not clean. There were ants everywhere in the room. We did not have any running water at first. Once the problem solved, what we got is a VERY muddy water. Shower and toilets were blocked. Mosquito window screens had huge holes.
The food wasn't good, and too little. There was no snack or drinks available during the day. There is nothing like a "bar" and "restaurant"as advertised.Staff was not friendly and tried to rip us off a couple of times. Bad beach in front of the resort. Have to walk 30 min to a nice beach.
Very disappointing after a 5 hour boat ride from Nadi. We left after one night.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MorganeJaff
Reviewed 4 October 2014

I didn't have very high expectations of this place when I arrived, however it turned out to be a wonderful stay. I was at Bay of Plenty for four nights and for two of them I was the only guest.

Positives:
- Exceptionally peaceful
- Beautiful surroundings with the village next door
- Picturesque 30 minute walk to the pristine Long Beach
- Large serves or food
- Friendly family
- Great hiking

Negatives:
- No beach, but there's plenty more to do
- A serious ant problem in the bures. My entire floor was black with ants and they frequented the bed. (Bring mortein/strong bug spray) I was covered in ant bites and unfortunately one got very infected- but that was just bad luck.
- Price- although it was quite cheap, I still believe it was overpriced. I read in the awesome adventures booklet that the resort had free boat transfers to the resort from the big boat and they would transfer you for free to the nearby beaches, however it was $30 pp for the boat transfer and $35 pp to the beach. Kayaking was $15pp.
-No water for an entire day, which meant the toilet was unable to flush and no showers/drinking water, but maybe this was a rare occurrence.
- Cleanliness- the toilet had not been cleaned and was quite filthy when I arrived.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

So, I just wrote a really long review, but then it disappeared...so let me try a shorter version:

Amazing people, great food, beautiful grounds. If you want to relax and have great experiences with Fijian people, this is the place for you. You will feel like a part of their family by the time you leave. You can hike, kayak, snorkel, go for boat rides, dig for cockles, and really just relax. The kava ceremony we participated in over in the neighboring village was one of the most fun and authentic experiences we've had during the last 7 months of travel. We think about Jerry, Rosa, and family often. We hope you are doing well!!

-John and Anna

P.S.

Have a look at this short video we put together of our experience.

If you want to see more of Bay of Plenty, then feel free to take a look at our Fiji blog posts on that same website (www.rtdub.com).

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank John80302
Reviewed 16 July 2014

What a unique experience! As the only guest I stayed in my own hut on the hill and enjoyed the luxury of undisturbed peace and quiet for three days! Forget the commercial tourist industry, Bay of Plenty is an unspoilt natural haven away from it all. Jerry and Rosa were amazing hosts and were incredibly friendly and welcoming. The traditional Fijian meals were fantastic and I never went hungry, I even helped the girls find cockles for my dinner! I felt like I was part of the family by the end, and Blacky, Tiger and Dora, the family pets, kept me company also.
There isn’t a beach, but Jerry dropped me off at Blue Lagoon for the day so I could snorkel. There are also kayaks and an activity board for those who want to do more than just read in a hammock. The huts are basic but comfy, and if you want to experience true Fiji island life and get to know some wonderful Fijians this place for you! If you like meditation and yoga and main building is the perfect indoor/outdoor setting for this. The views are fantastic and you can really relax here with no disruptions. Thank you for a wonderful stay Jerry and Rosa! Charlotte :)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo