All reviews santa cruz roaring camp henry cowell state park coffee maker discovery museum white towels full kitchen big trees comforts of home smaller cabins the cottages queen bed shower head redwoods futon duplex bigfoot
Reviewed 8 May 2017

We stayed in the deluxe 2-bedroom cabin at the Fern River Resort near Felton, Ca., for 1-night in late Apr ($206). This family resort is located in the redwood forest on the outskirts of town, just off the road to Santa Cruz. It consists of a number of duplex cabins arrayed along the top of a bank overlooking the Fern River.

Our cabin (#10, the Woodwardia) had two spacious bedrooms (one with a queen and the other with two twin beds), each simply furnished with a chest of drawers and closet and joined by the “jack and jill” bathroom (shower with a very low shower head, towels and toiletries provided but only 1 small soap, no shampoo and 3 hair conditioners for 4 people). Each bedroom was entered off the main room that had a spacious kitchen (table and chairs) and sitting area (futon, chair, end tables, tiny TV mounted into the wall and framed in wood). An electric heater shaped like an old fashioned space heater was the only source of heat in the cabin. The kitchen had a full refrigerator, microwave, oven and stove and plenty of flatware and cutlery; curiously, pots and pans were not provided. The walls were finished with vertical wood slats on the bottom and white wallboard on top; the ceilings were peaked and finished in wood planks. With the many windows, the overall feel was airy and spacious, something not always achieved in forest cabins.

A weak WiFi signal was provided, but only for 2 hrs per day with the time running continuously from the moment of sign-in – a needlessly miserly arrangement.

The cabin had a large deck (half was covered by the roof) furnished with plastic lawn furniture and fronted by a small lawn flanked by redwoods and furnished with a sagging plastic picnic table and a cast iron charcoal briquette-burning barbeque set on a post. Beyond was a wooden rail fence that lined the top of the steep bank down to the river and its swimming holes.

There was not much in Felton – a small store, a couple of restaurants (pizza, Chinese) – but there were plenty of hiking trails and parks nearby. For a more touristy experience, Hwy 9 was a scenic 7 mi drive into Santa Cruz, with its pier, boardwalk and amusement park.

The Fern River Resort provided a comfortable, rustic deep woods experience without the inconvenience of actually travelling to the wilderness. Shared between 2 couples, it provided good value at a reasonable cost in an area where accommodations are notoriously expensive.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank ndser
Reviewed 7 April 2017

We booked a cabin for a quick couple getaway while visiting relatives in the Bay Area. The resort is just off Hwy 9, but nestled off in the redwoods next to a river, so it feels remote. The views out the window are amazing. We had some wine by the river one day, hiked in the adjacent state park the next day, walked on the wharf in Santa Cruz, no generally had a wonderful time.
He cabins are small, but clean. They have a microwave, a basic supply of dishes and silverware and a charcoal grill. We had a great time.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2017

I needed a day away and found this resort on Trip Advisor. Outstanding! The cabin was probably built in the 40s or so and was varnished wood paneling inside with an electric fireplace and serviceable kitchen. I had a great view of the river, wonderful redwoods and my own picnic table and BBQ. Parking was right next to the cabin and there were horseshoes, badminton, a fire pit and more that all could use. Decent restaurants all within a short drive and plenty of local activities to keep one busy. Staff was very accommodating and pleasant. I'll be booking it again soon for a longer stay.

Reviewed 5 April 2017

We took our 3 year old grandson to the Fern River Resort to be near the trains at Roaring Camp. He had more fun at Fern River floating paper boats down the driveway and climbing around the horseshoe pits than anything else! The cabins are quiet and include everything you need, except for pots and pans, you can rent these from the office. The grounds are extensive and lit up at night with lots of colorful and imaginative lights. We stayed in cabin 7 and other family members stayed in #14. Both were clean, comfortable and the beds and bathrooms were more than sufficient. Futons for couches aren't my favorite seating though. Plenty of lights and outlets, and we were overlooking the San Lorenzo River, so we had the beauty of sight and sound. Had such a good time that we're considering a family reunion there next year!

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank travel8kat
Reviewed 30 March 2017

This place is amazing and just a hop-skip-jump to Santa Cruz's Boardwalk. We were in cabin #3. It had a private deck surrounded by the tallest redwood trees and overlooked the river. We had rose bushes outside our windows, a full kitchen, a bbq + picnic table. This little spot in heaven is so much better than any hotel I have ever stayed at. I am so happy and pleased with our experience. This little town of Felton is really neat. They still have payphones! And a video rental store! It's like stepping back in time. The Bigfoot Museum is closed on Tuesdays (FYI), but apparently it is free of charge. The local
Thrift store is a treasure full of treasures. One thing I found very cool about the Fern River Resort itself was their game/library cabin. They have a little cabin with kids board games and toys + a variety of books to use. We weren't there long enough to take advantage of these amenities, but such a neat feature none-the-less. I mean, in today's times it seems like everyone wants to charge you a fee for anything and everything. The fact that they host and honor the honor system is priceless, in my opinion. I did poke my head in and I noticed that they really could use some donations. Like toys, games & books for kids. I wish I had known that as I have so many of those things that my kids have outgrown. Bring your own coffee and some food, leave your worries behind!
Thank You Fern River Resort for a truly enjoyable stay.

Room tip: #3 & #4 seem very private and overlook the river.
Date of stay: March 2017