“Great customer service; tired breakfast”
Review of Carter House Inns

Carter House Inns
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We spent one night at the Carter House and it was very sweet. We arrived late
and left early so our experience was limited. The front desk woman was terrific and gave us an upgrade to a king bedded room. The regular price on the room was vastly too much for the locale at $385.

Breakfast was not impressive.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Tom B

Reviewed 6 November 2011

We stayed in the main hotel for one night recently on a trip down the coast. We were upgraded from a standard room to a suite for the same price. After reading the other reviews, it sounds like this is a common practice, but it was still nice. My husband wanted to be off the main street in a quiet room, but in the end, we still had a LOT of street noise and people's voices we could hear in the room, with the windows closed. The wine and cheese in the afternoon and cookies and tea in the evening were nice touches. Bed was very comfortable and it was lovely to have a fireplace in our room. The staff was very friendly and helpful, as my husband forgot his sunglasses in the room and they mailed them to us at home.

3  Thank llanderson
reviewer8062, Manager at Carter House Inns, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2011

Dear guest,
Thanks for taking the time to review Carter House Inns - we know that it takes valuable time to post a review, and we do appreciate your effort. We were happy to know that you were satisfied with your Inn experience at Carter House Inns, and thank you for sharing that experience with others. We wish you all the best.

Reviewed 5 November 2011

The Carter House is a real find in northern California. They are called a "Boutique Country Inn" and I concur. The inn is actually a beautifully restored hotel and two lovely homes across the street, so options for lodging are plentiful. We stayed in the main hotel where we were immediately upgraded from a room to a suite upon check-in. After a short walk to the water and through the lovely area called "Old Town" with amazing homes, including the most photographed house in the U.S., we enjoyed a delicious gourmet evening meal in the hotel restaurant. The server was so helpful in describing menu items, and we took her advice about the day's specials. After a good night's sleep in our elegant suite, we were treated to a made-to-order complimentary breakfast. This is the place to stay in Eureka!

Room Tip: Some suites include a fireplace and huge bathroom with double tubs and showers.
2  Thank MinnesotaPoppie

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for reviewing Carter House Inns and allowing all to know that you enjoyed your stay in Eureka, CA, at Carter House. We are happy that you had no trouble finding the waterfront or the lovely homes in the Old Town area including the stunning Carson Mansion. May your spirit of adventure follow you in all your travels.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

I was on a road trip down the coast and wanted to see the Redwoods, so I chose Carter House based on information they provided on their website regarding the inn itself as well as the town of Eureka. I saw some negative reviews but thought I'd take a chance. MISTAKE! The website described the area as being in Eureka's "Old Town" and made it sound like a quaint, charming village near the waterfront... not so. It is an industrial park and as far as I could tell, there wasn't even any access to the waterfront area unless you are a mill worker. The neighborhood was very worn down and ramshackle and there were homeless people everywhere asking for money. I walked several blocks looking for the restaurants, shops and galleries that the website describes, but found only a few nasty taverns and a Mexican restaurant. I thought that I would just retire to my room to relax and at least enjoy the hotel, but when I got to my room, I discovered there was no air conditioning or even a fan. The temperature was in the upper 70s and very muggy, and my room had no ventilation. Also, there were no screens on the windows, so in order to get any air flow into the room whatsoever I had to endure the pleasure of swatting away flies and bugs all night. And there were homeless people sitting in the empty lot next to the house talking very loudly about their drinking escapades. Not the relaxing atmosphere I'd hoped for. For the money I paid to stay here, I expected much better accomodations that what I received. I stayed in a beautiful authentic Victorian B&B in Canada once for quite a bit less than I paid for this room, and I didn't have to listen to a bunch of drunk transients all night either. The front desk staff was indifferent and not friendly, although I did enjoy a glass of wine and a nice chat with the bartender, who was the only nice person I encountered the entire time. I had planned to stay two nights, but I got a call late on the first night from my parents letting me know that my five year old had come down with pneumonia. I immediately went to the front desk and let them know that I would need to leave first thing in the morning. I was expecting to be billed for both nights, but the gentleman at the desk let me know that they would only charge me for the night that I actually stayed and would not penalize me for having to leave early. I was pleasantly surprised and thought that maybe my initial impression of bad service had been wrong. I checked out the next morning and was given a receipt showing that I had indeed been billed for only one night.

When I received my credit card statement a few weeks later, I saw that I had been billed twice. Not for two nights, but two separate charges. One was charged when I booked the trip on 9/17, and one was a few days after I had checked out, on 9/25. I called and spoke with someone who assured me it would be corrected immediately. A month later, it had still not been corrected. I called back and spoke with the same person, who said that one charge was for the weekend of 9/23 and the second charge was for the weekend of 9/30. I told her that I had never made a reservation for the weekend of 9/30 and she insisted that I had. I am from Washington state... why would I book two separate trips to Northern California a week apart? She finally agreed to take my number and call me back, and I am still waiting to hear from her. I will NEVER stay at this establishment again and would advise anyone considering it to keep looking. I am told that there is a very nice community just south of Eureka called Ferndale.... I wish that I had just kept driving a little while longer and avoided Eureka and the Carter House Inns altogether.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
7  Thank Kendra T
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Oh my what beautiful accommodations we had at the Carte House. We were given a cottage on M Street. It had just been remodeled and was terrific. It had a living room and dining room combo, a beautiful kitchen with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances, plus a great bedroom and bath with a jacuzzi tub. The floors were a deep colored hardwood in the living room and dining room,black tile in the kitchen and a plush carpet in the bedroom. The only thing we found weird was that the French doors leading to the bathroom had sheer curtains so there was no privacy.
The only other problem we had was that the cottage was a short walk to the main building and the cottage was across the street from a rather seedy looking motel. We were afraid to walk anywhere at night.
We had breakfast at the main building and it was quite good. There was a small buffet with toast,muffins,fruit granola,yogurt,tea,and coffee. They then prepared eggs or a frittata to order. Very good. Also the service was excellent. The lady at the deemed greeted us by name when we entered.
Would definitely stay at the Carte House again.

4  Thank Abby R