“Doumo arigatou gozaimasu”
Review of Shimbashi Izakaya

Shimbashi Izakaya
Reserve with OpenTable
Shimbashi Izakaya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 102 Restaurants in Del Mar
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: View
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Paseos De Las Flores
Description: Shimbashi Izakaya, with sweeping views of the Pacific Ocean, is located on the Market Level at the Del Mar Plaza. We offer an extensive seasonal menu, fresh sushi and sashimi, a wide selection of sake and Japanese beer. With our tapas-style Japanese menu, Shimbashi Izakaya features fresh seafood that is always in season.
Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

Finding this place may be a little difficult, but well worth the effort. They have inside dinning or an outside area which has heaters and a view of the Pacific. The bar is well stocked and if you like sake like I like sake, they a nice variety. I ate so much sushi I was ready to bust. On my last visit I tried the shioksra which is squid intestine. Surprisingly Good! During the meal a continuing nibble on edamame lightly salted throughout the meal. The chef is a wonderful Japanese fellow with a great Personality.

If you are in Del Mar and looking for authentic Japanese food,, check out Shimbashi.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

Attended a business dinner with 5 other people. Our host ordered a variety of sushi and other japanese dishes (I am not an expert at ordering Japanese food so cannot identify them all). I am not usually a fan of sea urchin but really enjoyed it at this venue. The fatty tuna was the best I have ever had. The sliced duck breast, assorted tempura, assorted sashimi and seaweed salad were also very good. The meal was accompanied by cold saki which was very good. Service was attentive and excellent. Overall, the meal was pricey ($600+) but excellent. I would return without hesitation.

Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

I enjoyed my lunch here. The service was excellent and I enjoyed looking through the menu. I chose the sushi lunch. The maguro and salmon were good. The yellow tail and albacore were very fair. The special sushi wasn't amazing. I enjoyed the sake and beer menu. The chefs were very, very friendly. This place is good. Not great. But good. I did very much enjoy the setting and ambiance.

Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

We were sent here by the Concierge of our upscale hotel in Del Mar. We were greatly disappointed in the ambience and food. It lacked everything we expected out of a coastal sushi restaurant. Bland sushi, overpriced and no ambience at all. I would not recommend this place for any reason.

Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

The fish was very good. Nice presentation. Outdoor patio area was nice with a good view of the coastline. Prices were outrageous for the venue. $24 for a roll that costs less than half that in NYC. $26 for a pitcher of beer. Would still recommend but be prepared for the bill.