Open today: 08:00 - 17:00
Book In Advance
Tours from Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari
from US$65.00
More Info
from US$775.00
More Info
All reviews brownie underwater viewing pods sea lions whale watching fast cat common dolphins see whales great trip large pod of dolphins an incredible experience their natural habitat bottle nose dolphins boat ride sea sickness saw dolphins nice boat southern california
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Our friend Chrissy is completely in love with whales, and we wanted to give her a memorable experience with the whales and dolphins. We knew that the likelihood of actually seeing a whale was rather low, so we set our expectations accordingly. Captain Marie and Captain Craig were fabulous tour guides. They really know the terrain and the sea life in this environment. As we expected, we were able to see dolphins all around us, and we each took several turns going down into the glass part of the hull so that we can do underwater viewing. Toward what was supposed to be the end of our time out on the water, a few of us noticed what we thought was a well; the captains steered toward it, and sure enough, it was a minke whale, very rare and typically very elusive. It hung around the boat for a long time, swimming around, and showing itself to us. The captain said that it was about 28 feet long, incredible. They also said it was the best look that they had had of this type of whale in a very long time, so that we should consider ourselves lucky, and we did! The whole team at Captain Dave’s does a wonderful job, and we would recommend this trip without hesitation.

CaptDavesWhaleSafari, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 2 days ago

Hi,
Thank you so much for your review and recommendation. I’m thrilled you enjoyed your recent safari with Capt. Dave’s. We are lucky to have various kinds of both dolphins and whales frequenting our area all year long, and it’s wonderful that you had such an exciting, extended encounter with the Minke Whale! Sounds like you had a good time watching the playful wild dolphins too, and getting up-close and personal with the animals in our unique Underwater Viewing Pods. We appreciate the kind words about the tour and our crew, and we’d love for you to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I went on the dolphin safari in October 2017 and could not wait to take our children. In april 2018 we went on a family vacation to Laguna and booking the Dolphin Safari was the first thing we did, once we had our accommodations! The staff are wonderful and welcoming, the boat is a great size in that everyone has a great view. I would highly recommend this excursion!

CaptDavesWhaleSafari, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi,
Thanks for your review and for being a valued returning guest of Capt. Dave’s. It’s wonderful that your whole family has been able to experience the amazing dolphin and whale sightings, and I’m so glad you like our boat and crew. We appreciate your recommendation, and hope you can come out with us again soon!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We saw only one pod of dolphins, who weren't too keen on engaging with us. Just not our lucky day to see many animals, but the crew was fantastic and I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon on the water in beautiful Southern California! The unexpected bonus brownie at the end of the trip made my day!

Hi,
Thanks so much for your review, and for posting those great photos. I’m glad you had the chance to view a pod of beautiful dolphins in their natural habitat. It’s wonderful that you liked our crew and Mrs. Capt. Dave’s delicious, complimentary triple-fudge brownie as well! Is there anything we could do to improve and earn a 5-star review from you next time? Thanks again for coming out, and I hope you can visit again soon.

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

The team at Captain Dave’s Dolphin and Whale Watching goes out of their way to ensure you have a great time and see sea life. We saw hundreds of dolphins! Overall it was a wonderful tour! I loved being out on the water, the commentary about what we were seeing, and the crew’s love of what they do! Great job guys!!

Hi,
Thank you for your review and beautiful photo. It’s so great that you enjoyed spending time with the magnificent wild dolphins! I’m glad you liked our crew and their informative narration too. Thanks for choosing Capt. Dave’s, and I hope we’ll see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 October 2018 via mobile

I’m so grateful that I was able to go on your boat the see Orcas! It was my first time seeing them in the wild! It was an absolutely magical experience. The very best part was that the captain waited 15min for me to arrive, I would of never got to see them if it wasn’t for Captain Dave’s crew . I will forever be grateful. Thanks so much! Cris Bibler naturalist @ Dana Wharf

CaptDavesWhaleSafari, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2018

Hi Cris,
Thank you for your review and the beautiful photo. I’m so pleased you decided to come out with Capt. Dave’s for an exciting, up-close dolphin and whale watching safari. I’m happy we had the chance to share with you the breathtaking experience of encountering majestic Orcas in their natural habitat! It was an unforgettable trip for all of us. Thanks again and I hope you can visit us again soon.

Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

A thoroughly enjoyable couple of hours on the catamaran searching for sea animals. We were on the 1.30pm tour.
Check in area was great while waiting for the tour, you can buy sandwiches, cold and hot drinks and a few gifts too.
Didn't see any whales but saw hundreds of beautiful dolphins which made for great viewing in the underwater viewing pods and also saw some seals and pelicans on the way back in.
We stood outside up front for the whole journey and it was so nice to be out on the water. It was nice to be splashed by the waves too (if you stand right at the front you will get wet on your lower half but you can take your shoes off to walk around to save them - I loved this feeling, shoeless, on a boat with waves splashing at your toes).
The tour was entertaining and informative.
Looking forward to seeing the drone footage taken on the boat of the hundreds of dolphins we saw.

Hi,
Thanks so much for your review. I’m thrilled you had an enjoyable time on your recent safari with Capt. Dave’s, viewing lovely wild dolphins and taking advantage of the unique Underwater Viewing Pods to get up-close and personal with the wildlife. It’s good to read that you liked our Dolphin Deck, our boat, and the informational narrative provided by our expert crew. Thank you for choosing us, and I hope we’ll see you again soon!