“Totally disappointed”

Ranked #8 of 133 Restaurants in Cypress
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 September 2017

My husband and I went back there for dinner tonight. We had been there before but the last couple of times, the food wasn't measuring up so we stopped. My husband ordered uni spaghetti, which was good as usual. I saw ling cod on the special menu and asked how it was cooked. One of the server looked puzzled and said she had to check with the chef. I ended orderering scallop carpacio for appetizer and the ling cod as main course. THe scallops were fresh but the curry destroyed the taste. What a weird combination! The ling cod was fried in the oil/fat that was stuck in my throat since it tasted like old oil sitting for a week. The cod was served with pickled carrot/daikon, and bland stirred fried vegetable, another weird combination that I couldn't swallow. I came home and had to have my left over pork and rice, which was a lot better than the meal I paid for. Disappointed for a bad meal. One of the servers was knowledgeable. The other one was not so but both of them were nice. Not sure if I ever want to come back again.

Reviewed 20 October 2016 via mobile

It appears to be a typical Japanese restaurant when you walk in but one look at the menu tells you this is going to be different. Beautiful presentation and fantastic flavors. A really interesting fusion of Italian & Japanese food.

Reviewed 26 September 2016

This little Japanese restaurant serves typical Japanese lunch menu and creative dish conniving with Japanese ingredients such as Uni (sea urchin) spaghetti.

The place is very small, and do not take reservation. Be aware of a line, especially at lunch time!!

Reviewed 29 June 2016

The black cod at a highly rated and expensive Japanese restaurant at Caesar's in Vegas was good. However, we found a better version right in our neighborhood in Cypress for half the price! Cypress may be known as hometown of erstwhile golf wonder Tiger Woods and for foodies, the US HQ of House Foods (Curry House, ubiquitous tofu packages sold at supermarkets, and partner of BCD Korean Tofu House), among others, I believe Cafe Hiro deserves greater name recognition. The entire menu with many choices is REALLY reasonably priced. E.g.: no menu-listed entrees over $30. Food quality and preparation are very good. We found out after seated that the chef was off on this Tuesday evening when we visited; the place was crowded nonetheless and our dishes were delicious. For appetizer, we ordered crisp whole dried shrimps, the daily special, (4 huge tasty shrimps with heads on for $8), Tofu salad, black cod, sea bass, spinach mushroom pasta and sea urchin pasta. The entree fish dishes came with salad (greens with yummy miso dressing, and pumpkin soup (too watery and lukewarm for my taste) served in a cup inexplicably without a saucer underneath. The atmosphere in this small restaurant (about a dozen tables) was nice. Service was adequate. I can’t wait to go back again to try the Kurobuta (black pig) Pork.

Reviewed 13 December 2015 via mobile

Wonderful find. Staff was very friendly. Their most popular dishes are the sea bass, pork cutlet, hamburger steak and the uni spaghetti. The salad, soup and spaghetti were all delicious. I texted a friend pictures of my meal and they happened to be in the neighborhood and dropped by for lunch while we were there. They also enjoyed the food.