“Not bad but definitely not great”
Review of Taco Mesa

Taco Mesa
Ranked #23 of 523 Restaurants in Costa Mesa
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 16 January 2017

After reading all the excellent Trip Advisor reviews I was anxious to try Taco Mesa for lunch today and as I was walking up it looked like a neat place and I was getting even more excited but upon walking inside the excitement quickly left.

1. They don't have waiters and waitresses, you have to walk up to a counter and place your order. Once your order is placed you then have to stand there wondering if/when your order has come up. I ordered nacho's and after watching them sit on a tray for a while I had to ask the guy behind the counter if they were mine, he said they were. No telling how long they would have sat there had I not said something.

2. Seating is very limited and unfortunately people who are further back in line will send their friends to steal tables from people who are further up in line leaving them wtihout a table, including me. This is just rude. The people who are in line first should get first dibs on the tables, period.

3. Maybe I should have ordered something other than nachos but they were just OK. There was limited cheese on them and the blackened chicken was dry.

I don't know, I hate to judge a place on one visit but I was just very unimpressed both with the food, the service and the other customers. If you're looking for a place where you can sit down, have a few chips and salsa and a few drinks with some good mexican food, I really do not think this place is that place. I honestly wish I had eaten somewhere else.

1  Thank David D

Reviewed 5 November 2016 via mobile

Visited the restaurant planning to enjoy some tacos and to my surprise they offer a great array of simple but delicious Mexican food. From simple tacos and "guacamole with chips to carne asada and churros. Location has its own parking and offers outdoor seating. Good option for having a taste of Mexico at a reasonable price.

Reviewed 22 October 2016

Don't let this modest re-purposed Taco Bell building pass you by. By far one of my favorite eateries. My only complaint is that they do not have ant near my home in Mesa, Arizona. Try anything, My favorite is anything made with their Blackened Fish. Ivan has done something very special with his restaurants. A definite So Cal attraction.

Reviewed 22 October 2016

Taco Mesa is my "Go To" favorite Mexican restaurant. It is a pleasure to return for the delicious food. My favorites are Chile Relleno, Soft Tacos: shrimp, fish or calamari -loaded with the complimentary condiments from the salsa bar. I've recently tried the combination plate with a beef enchilada, chicken taco, rice, and beans and another customer asked what I was eating because it looked so good. It is the best Mexican American food in town and so close to home. Their healthy food is consistently delicious and what I crave. The employees are efficient and friendly. I appreciate that the owner cares about customer service and it shows through the quality of food and service and overall great value.

Reviewed 19 October 2016

My family took me here for dinner for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised. I was looking for a low key, non-fancy place with great food and this place hit the nail on the head. One problem is that I went there after not eating all day so I was starving and then proceeded to order almost everything on the menu. Ok maybe that was a slight exaggeration but I did manage to eat some great home made chips with guacamole and salsa, Carnitas Burrito, Chicken Taco, Al Pastor Taco and Beef Taco and then washed it down with a chicken quesadilla and a drink. Full or stuffed cannot begin to describe how I felt. The food was great. The place had a messy beach vibe and I can vouch for the bathrooms but when your guests run next door to McDonald's, they can't be great. But the food was good and they had an outside widescreen TV to watch the game so it is a great place to hang out.