“Hotel is good but service at the breakfast buffet is rude”

Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersGold level
Sunnyvale, California
“Hotel is good but service at the breakfast buffet is rude”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

we ( around 10 families) booked this hotel . Hotel is good and rooms are neat. we liked the
decor . The breakfast buffet was free. me and my friends family went to breakfast buffet. we asked the waiter for warm milk for kids. we asked 2 cups each. weather was cold outside and milk provided in buffet was cold. Since microwave is in 2 floor , it is difficult to go and warm each cup of milk and come back for eating. This particular waiter after bring the 3 cup of milk said " it is too much work to warm the milk " and it would be extra charge. He was totally rude and rediculous. we did not argue with him at all. Next morning I went for breakfast that same waiter was staring angrily at us. I did not ask him for anything ?, He was serving coffee to others , but did not ask us for coffee. Very poor service, very unhappy.The whole good feeling about the hotel was ruined with this terrible service

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FamilyMom A
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear FamilyMom A -

We appreciate your candid review of Ayres Hotel & Suites Costa Mesa. While I am pleased you found the cleanliness and decor of the hotel satisfactory, I apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused during our breakfast hours.

We understand that each of our guests will have different dietary wishes during breakfast and are always happy to accommodate guest requests when possible. In this particular instance, during a very crowded breakfast, we did offer to bring a large pitcher of warm milk for the 10+ in this single party for a nominal fee in order to increase efficiency of our breakfast service and ensure all of our guests were given the best possible breakfast experience. I apologize if this information was not relayed more accurately.

Please know that we take guest comments very seriously, and I have already shared these comments with the breakfast team to ensure our guests are as comfortable and accommodated as possible during breakfast. Again, thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Warm regards,

Susan O'Brien-Moore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

We've stayed here several times over the last few years and always been pleased. We care most about cleanliness and comfort, and this hotel provides plenty of both. The decor is traditional/nautical. Staff are always polite, the free breakfast is tasty and a great value, and there's really just nothing to complain about. Good choice!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear Andy -

Thank you very much for your kind review and for your continued patronage. It is wonderful to know that we are able to provide you with exceptional service and accommodations on each of your visits. I am pleased that you find the decor inviting, the complimentary full American breakfast tasty, and cleanliness up to the impeccable Ayres Hotels standard. We appreciate being your choice of hotel in Orange County and look forward to your next visit.

Oxnard
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I lived at the Ayres for nearly two months and experienced nothing but first rate service. The entire staff was polite, courteous, and professional. And the beds...I can't lie, sometimes I'll stay there just to sleep in one of their beds.

Room Tip: upgrade to the suite.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Mark -

It was a pleasure welcoming you for such an extended period of time. We appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to provide the the best possible hotel experience. I am so pleased that you found the service and accommodations consistently welcoming and comfortable. We hope to welcome you again very soon, even if only to sleep on one of our Ayres Dream Sleeper mattresses.

Safe travels,

North Richland Hills, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed here in mid-March 2012 for two nights when I had some business matters in the Costa Mesa. I selected the Ayres Hotel & Suties in Costa Mesa on the basis of what I saw on the Internet, these reviews, and because the price seemed affordable especially when it included breakfast. I booked a Deluxe Room and checked in about 15 minutes before check-in time. I was immediately upgraded to a Jr. Executive Suite ... without asking. My room was on the second floor of the Suites Building, with an east-facing view of the airport. The room was clean, well appointed, comfortable, and, simply put, lovely to be in. Some reviews complained about airport noise, so I was waiting for it to materialize: It turned out this was a complete non-factor. Basically, what did the trick for masking any outside noise that might have existed was the "white noise" emanating from the A/C system mounted underneath the window. It is the sort of A/C system that, once it's turned on, emits a constant, quiet, steady, easily forgotten, but effectively noise-masking fan sound. If you are the kind of person that requires absolute, unadulterated, pristine silence from your hotel, then stay somewhere other than a city or suburban hotel. But I sleep best with "white noise" anyway, and actually brought along my own "white noise" machine, but never used it in my Ayres room. I didn't need it. Oh, and the breakfast? Muy deliciouso! Another plus: When I asked the concierge about renting a car, he recommended the car rental operation located in the lobby of the nearby Travelodge (walking distance from the Ayres). It was a good lead: For $40 a day, I rented a 2010, 4-door, Toyota Corolla automatic with A/C and 35 MPG to get me around town. So, my stay at the Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa was an A+, five-star experience. I will stay there again and recommend it to my family and friends.

Room Tip: The rooms have a refrigerator and microwave. You don't have to eat out for every meal.
3 Thank Brent T
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Brent -

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic review of Ayres Hotel & Suites Costa Mesa and for choosing our hotel for your stay. We know you have a range of choices in the Costa Mesa area so it is wonderful to know that you chose us. I am pleased that your welcome was so warm and your accommodations so comfortable. The guest experience is of the utmost importance to us so it is always a pleasure to hear that we have made a guest's stay thoroughly enjoyable. Thank you again for taking to time share your comments on TripAdvisor. We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Safe travels,

Beaverton, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

I stayed one night at Ayres Hotel in March 2012. This is an independent hotel with two main buildings. Check-in was quick, efficient and friendly. My room was located in the second building on the second floor in a quiet location. The large room was somewhat traditionally decorated and included a couch, several chairs and free wireless. During my stay at the hotel, I never heard any noise in the hallway or outside my window.

Overall, the room was very comfortable if not exactly cozy. The bed was firm and of good quality. I didn't have to push 67 pillows out of the way to pull back the covers, which was much appreciated. The only thing I didn't like about the room was the wall mounted ventilation unit. This one was not as noisy as some I have experienced, but it did have that problem of making things comfortable while it was running, followed by a somewhat stuffy still feeling after it shut off. I woke up at 2:00 AM feeling things had gotten stuffy. A colleague stayed at the hotel at the same time I did, but when I asked him if the wall unit bothered him, he indicated it did not and that he slept great. So I may be more sensitive to this issue than most people.

The hotel offered a very nice free breakfast in the morning, much more on par with a Marriott Courtyard with a food preparer and fresh eggs, etc., rather than like a Holiday Inn Express with an attendant keeping inexpensive food items stocked.

I can recommend this hotel for anyone needing to stay in the Irvine, Costa Mesa, Newport Beach area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Ted_Fez -

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for your stay and for your very thorough review. It means a great deal that we were able to provide you with the amenities, service and accommodations that made your experience as comfortable as possible. There is no higher honor for a hotel than a guest recommendation so I am beyond thrilled that we were able to make such a positive impression on you. We look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Mesa
5.1 km away
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach? Share your experiences!