“Very good ramen in a Japanese market food court.”
Review of Santouka Ramen

Santouka Ramen
Ranked #97 of 538 Restaurants in Costa Mesa
Price range: US$6 - US$10
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Located in the Mitsuwa Marketplace near South Coast Plaza. Came at 6pm on a Monday so crowds were lighter. Order at the window, get a number and pick up order when your number is called. Take time to scan the menu for the choices can be confusing. We ordered the Shoyu and the Miso ramen. Broth was flavorful but not too salty nor heavy. Noodles were a dente and toppings were tasty. Food court is compact but turnover is quick. A/C could have been better especially eating hot Ramen!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

It's just yummy.

My wife is a Ramen lover... as for me... it's always been good (not the add water kind). This place is better than good.

We always order the Spicy Miso Ramen. The broth is rich and fatty (I really doubt it's healthy) with just the right amount of salt (so you don't feel too bloated and swollen a half hour later). The noodles are always perfect... I have no clue if they are homemade or not but they are neither soggy nor hard. The toppings for the most part are always fresh. My only negative is sometimes the pork has a bit too much fat on it but... if this is what adds to the broth than... worth the fat.

Service is to be expected b/c it's a food court but you rarely wait more than 10 minutes for your order. Seating is a pain but hey... it's a good court.

Place is great. I'm glad we don't live closer... we'd eat it a few times per weei.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Yum! Santouka Ramen came to rescue when a group of 4 adults didn't know what to eat for dinner. Seriously, we must have been a group of the most indecisive people ever. We couldn't decide between pizza, burgers, sushi, indian, and curry. So somehow, we ended up getting ramen, hah! Regardless, going to Mistuwa Marketplace turned out to be a good decision since 3 of us got ramen and one guy got udon.

The menu is a little tricky for the first-timer, but the lady at the register was really friendly and explained it to us. Basically, you decide what soup type you want (miso, spicy miso, shoyu, or shio), then you decide the size. You can also get a combo meal - choose the type of ramen you want, then pick a rice bowl (plain, veggies, salmon roe, or pork). Each of the combo meals comes with an egg too. Pretty easy, huh?

I went with a combo and had the spicy miso ramen with salmon roe rice. The ramen was really tasty - lots of grease on top, but totally hit the spot. There were a couple bamboo shoots and a piece of fatty pork. The noodles were really chewy and didn't get all bloated from the soup which is nice. I also tried the shoyu ramen and that was great too. There was a generous serving of salmon roe and it was too much for me to finish. I wish there had been some other toppings too to break up the saltiness. I tried the rice with pork and I immediately wished I had gotten that instead. Great smoky flavor. I liked adding some of the ramen soup to the rice and mixing it together.

Overall, I really liked Santouka Ramen and I just found out there's a location in San Diego so I'll be back sooner than later. The only downside is the price. I think it's a bit expensive for the serving size. The combo meals were $12 for a small ramen and I finished everything and had room for more. Also keep in mind that it's cash only. There is an ATM but it was getting repaired, so I walked over to the 7-11 in front to use the ATM.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I like Spicy Miso Ramen, Salmon Row Rice, egg and Pork Rice Bowl. The wait's never too long, but finding a seat somewhere in small food court can be hard.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Had the set meal, spicy ramen with rice and egg, reminded me of eating in Japan, the quality was excellent. A must stop.