“Good ice cream, a little expensive/inconsistent though”

Bert's & Rocky's Cream Co.
Ranked #4 of 12 Dessert in Claremont
Reviewed 9 September 2018

I have long enjoyed Bert & Rocky's, both this location and the one that closed in Upland. They have solid quality and imaginative flavors. My main gripe though is that there isn't a real high level of consistency in quality and almost none in selection. Worse yet, if a flavor you like is seldom produced, they *really* jerk you around about its availability. For a special order you have to order *an entire tub* which I cannot recall if it consists of five or ten gallons, much more ice cream than most people can even *fit* in their freezer at home! Once I actually ordered one for a party and it was rather expensive, we ate maybe half of it and had to really creatively freeze the rest.

So what happens if you don't want to encumber yourself with enough ice cream for the Alabama football team? They "take your number and call you when the flavor comes in." In one case--the outstanding French pastry cream flavored ice cream--I put my name down a dozen times. In eight years they have not called me once! Worse still one time I came in and got the butt end of the tub, meaning they did produce and just neglected to call (though generally when I came in, it was unavailable).

In short, it's above-average quality with some fun flavors and people who are passionate about ice cream, but there is a level of complacency here that keeps it from reaching the next level. The service is also pretty impersonal. On a quality level, it's right there with Handel's, but you will see a line out the shopping center at Handel's and read about their numerous locations, two things that you won't see with Bert & Rocky's because they just don't quite seal the deal.

Reviewed 1 September 2018

It's hard to find a good milkshake. Very few places these days know how to pull one off but this place does. Also the staff is a hoot.

Reviewed 1 September 2018

The workers here have always been very patient with us! My husband and I come in here with our twin boys, and always take a little time to decide what we want. The workers here have always been very patient and never seem put off. They always seem to have a variety of flavors for all of our likes. Not to mention the candied apples are to die for!. We usually get a couple when we have guests over, cut them up so everyone can try a different flavor. Its our go-to ice cream shop!

Reviewed 22 July 2018

Good home-made ice cream, comfy plain place, thumbs up! The original IC parlor in Claremont and still the best. Has more than ice cream if you're not feeling it.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

Tasty local ice cream shop that also offers candied apples, drumsticks and chocolate truffles. Friendly service and tasty ice cream selections. You certainly wont be disappointed with your adventures in this place for a treat on a hot summer day

Date of visit: July 2018