“Last Local History Left Standing”
Review of The Spot

The Spot
Ranked #7 of 81 Restaurants in Carpinteria
Reviewed 26 August 2018

The way I remember it, The Spot was famous for Enchiladas before their rise to Burger fame. On a recent visit I had plans to relive the past with an Enchilada; but it is not even on the menu. The backup was an Asada Chimichonga; the presentation was very well done, but too many of the small Asada cubes contained gristle; marring the overall great taste. A double cheeseburger was also purchased; again, great taste but the bun did not last long at containing the insides; fortunately, they have forks. The chocolate Shakes and Malts are still some of the best.

Besides the desirable food, another reason we should continue returning to The Spot is to visit a part of history; that is left. In the 1950s and early 60s my family spent their summer vacations camping at the State Beach. During those happy times the Southern Pacific Railroad Station was just across the tracks from The Spot. The lemon packing sheds were a little east down the tracks from the Station. What a great smell; and there was a continuous supply of lemonade for us when we kids visited the packers. Across the street from The Spot on what is now the Tomol Interpretive Play Area was erected the seasonal Bingo Game. At the beach end of Linden Avenue on the same side as The Spot was the Beach Store. Out of all of these places, The Spot is the only one remaining. Maybe our patronage of the Spot will keep this bit of history in tact; and let the workers in that small building know we appreciate them.

Reviewed 3 August 2018

The Spot has a hefty reputation and a varied menu, but we found the food only so so. The hamburger was dry, almost like a Lotta Burger; the beef in the tacos was dry and the serving of side salsa skimpy; the shrimp tacos turned out to be fish; and I've had better chocolate malts (which looked like the real draw) at fast-food places. Alas. If you are hungry, it will fill you up.

Reviewed 29 July 2018

We were recommended stopping here by our surf instructor and the queue of people waiting to be served was taken as a good sign. There are no pretensions with this place and the burgers were great and good value for money.

Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

If you go at peak times there will be a line. Despite the line, I got there right at noon, I decided to wait anyway. There really is something for everyone. I got two plain hamburgers, two cheese burgers, three beef tacos, chips and guac and fries. This fed 6 people for $45 and included 4 drinks. I did wait for about 10 min in line and 20 min for the food to come out but it was well worth it. It is close enough to walk up from the beach and walk back with the food. They have nice to-go cardboard boxes that make it easy to carry out. I loved the food and the history and longevity of the Spot in the Carpinteria community make this a must try!!

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Great burger place by the beach. Great location walking distance to the beach. The kids loved the quesadillas.