“Good reviews and decided to try”
Review of La Bicyclette

La Bicyclette
Ranked #10 of 154 Restaurants in Carmel
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

Been to Carmel many times and walked by, but this is the first time we tried. Started with a heirloom caprese salad which was fantastic. Split a Marguerite pizza which was good but not great. Had regular cheese and maybe 3 very small pieces of fresh mozzarella. Had a half bottle of a local Pinot Noir that was very good. Will probably give it another chance someday as we are here every year for a week or two.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,370)

Reviewed 7 August 2018

The food is usually good, but not perfect. It usually is full at dinner and lunch. We have been there many times on numerous visits to Carmel by the Sea. It is so busy that it detracts from the experience. Very good for people watching in all situations if that rings your bell.

The last time I ordered a lamb dish and it was very salty. While that is desirable to many I prefer something a bit more subtle.

I think this restaurant is victim of it's own success. It is no long able to cater to the individual, it now offers popular tastes and flavors to simply keep up with the rush.

Still it's certainly not bad fare.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

I look forward to eating here whenever I am in Carmel. Everything I have ever ordered has been absolutely exceptional. The chef participates in a garden program with local school children and uses vegetables from those gardens. Everything is not only fresh but prepared in elevated ways. This time I ordered the special, a cod baked in parchment with slices of potato, long beans, onions, cherry tomatoes and harissa butter. Every bite melted in my mouth. Like a very good book, I was a sad when I knew it was coming to an end. Of course I ate it paired with a glass of just right french wine, thanks to my knowledgeable server. I finished with the strawberry rhubarb galette and whipped cream. Did I mention this is an excellent place for baked goods? Other times I have left with loaves of crusty bread. There is always a wait to get in. I don't care.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

Very good food and service. Nice easy access in downtown Carmel. Short walk from anywhere in Carmel. Nice choices of food.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

Really nice restaurant with character, great food and great service. Fresh, small menu, exactly what you expect a great restaurant to be. If I lived in Carmel, it would have been my regular place to go. Oh, and do whatever you want, but do get their tomato and mozzarella salad.