“Excellent Experience”

Price range: US$7 - US$30
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: If you like being nestled among towering pines while enjoying Carmel ocean views and spectacular sunsets, or dining at romantic tables in cliffside Mediterranean cafes, da Giovanni is your place. Firok Shield and his restaurant family operate this Carmel restaurant with careful attention to detail and a love of hospitality, offering a fusion of recipes handed down from his grandmother, such as Insalata Greca or Osso Buco. It's no wonder da Giovanni is one of the most highly recommended.
Reviewed 9 August 2018

My girlfriend and I had dinner here. Lovely decor. The staff and owner are delightful and helpful. My girlfriend is gluten free due to an allergy. She had a GF pasta dish that she says is the best she had ever had. Nice selection on the food menu and wine list. One of our best meals in Carmel.

Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

We ate in this restaurant four years ago on Lincoln Ave in Carmel. It was terrific. It is even better today. We called at 4PM to see if we could get a reservation. Dia returned my call immediately even though they weren't open yet. They open at five but he invited us over now. That is remarkable. We left and got over before five. He greeted my wife with open arms and seated her even before I parked. A glass of prosecco on the house. A treat! Then we ordered the artichoke app broiled with entrees of cannelloni and Mamma Mia's rigatoni and meatballs. The best we have had! No dessert. Too full and instead Dia treated us to a glass of port. What hospitality. Wonderful people, great ambiance, and terrific food. The finest day two people could have in Pebble Beach

Reviewed 9 April 2018

This restaurant has been combined with Giovanni’s Bistro, under the same family ownership, and that’s where we ate. The service was friendly and attentive, including a visit at our table from the patriarch of the restaurant. My wife had the Bolognese, which she said was superb and I had the local sand dabs, which were also excellent. The bread is to die for and the salad dressing was exceptionally yummy. A very down-to-earth place with reasonable prices.

Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

da Giovanni has been one of our favorite restaurants in Carmel for years. When I called for a reservation I was told that the da Giovanni on Lincoln had closed but their sister restaurant, Bistro Giovanni, was open in a different location in town and the menu was the same. We loved the Greek salad at da Giovanni. I sometimes ordered double for my main dish. The salad at Bistro was NOT good. None of us liked it. When I mentioned that it was different their response was that it was the same and I was the only person that had ever said that. The same for our main course dishes. Not as good as da Giovanni. We definitely won't go back. Carmel has other good restaurants.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you about this amazing restaurant. Literally, I’d have sleepless nights.

From the moment we arrived, we were seated at an amazing table by our, soon to be friend for the evening, Dia. My husband and I have lived in Italy on holiday many times and we were both transported back there on this night celebrating my birthday. We had just arrived in Carmel, settled into the Svensgaard’s Inn, just two blocks away. (I’ve reviewed that too, jus’ sayin’.)

The service and cuisine were perfect. It was the best restaurant we ate at on our five day stay. Meanwhile, right across the street, is Hog Breath Inn. I made a really bad decision and chose THAT for my birthday celebration. It was Clint Eastwood’s pride and joy, back when he was mayor of Carmel. Don’t go there. It definitely won’t “make your day”. It ruined mine. Go across the street.