“Good salad and pizza”

Price range: US$10 - US$17
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Wine Bar
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: ESTABLISHED IN 1988When we opened Allegro Gourmet Pizzeria in the summer of 1988, we did so for selfish reasons. We craved an authentic Italian experience on the Monterey Peninsula.The days of pizzerias with sawdust covered floors on lower Alvarado Street were gone. As the small fishing village known as Monterey slowly disappeared so did its soul.A few small restaurants still had some of that old feeling but they did not have the food our more traveled palates were beginning to expect. Some had, great food and a great feeling, but were too expensive or trendy to be called “local spots”. We needed a place to go to – a little “tucked away” spot to discuss life, enjoy good food, family and friends…. and still be able to pay our bills on time.So in July of 1988 we set out to capture that elusive dream; the soulful pizzeria that exists in every Italian neighborhood. No big deal, just great food, friends and wine. The kind of place that your feet take you to when your mind is not paying attention. And when you get inside, it feels good…like you are home.Allegro is a place where you can satisfy your Italian soul. Simple, healthy, delicious & unpretentious. Welcome to our little part of Italy. We hope you enjoy your stay . Nina & Jeano
Reviewed 12 March 2018

Seeking to have a quick meal before going on to Point Lobos, we ran across this place by accident — we were actually looking for another restaurant. The service, unfortunately, was slow. The Caprese salad was good when it did finally appear, however, and our pizza Quattro Stagione was better than adequate, though hardly outstanding. 7 our of 10 seems fair.

Jeano A, Owner at Allegro Gourmet Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Thank you Opera for your review. I’ll be speaking to the kitchen.

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

The Mediterranean salad I ordered was minimal and disappointing for the price. The seating in this restaurant also does not accommodate a table for two. Most of the tables were for four or six. All that said, the service was good, but I won't be back.

Jeano A, Owner at Allegro Gourmet Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2018

Hello Robin. Thank for your feedback. I'm sorry you were disappointed. If you would like a refund give me a call. 831.625.9970

Regarding out tables sizes. Since our business volume varies so much due to tourism, our tables are set up to maximize seating during our busiest times. During "normal" times we seat two people on tables large enough for four and four people on tables large enough for six. This gives them plenty of room for wine glasses, garlic bread, salads, pizza and condiments without having to constantly move things around and resorting to pizza "stands"

The Mediterranean Chicken Salad is my second most popular salad after the Chicken Caesar. Many locals order the 1/2 portion, or split it between two people because it's so big. Not sure what happened to yours? If price more than size is your actual concern I can tell you that, because of continual increases in minimum wage, it's only going to get worse. By the time I'm paying $15 an hour (plus workman's comp and payroll taxes) your $13.95 salad will probably be $24.95. The increases in minimum wage during the past 3 years have created an additional expense costing more than my gross profit was prior to the wage increases.. I have no choice but to pass this expense on to my customers. Welcome to California's Socialist Utopia. You can checkout anytime you want, but you can never leave.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

We got into Carmel late and asked the hotel for a good pizza place in town to eat. He recommended Allegro, which was hidden in the Barnyard shopping plaza. We got there late, but they were happy to serve us. It was a pleasant surprise to see that most of the customers were locals that seemed to know everyone, I always see this as a good sign. We ordered a split pizza because we could not decide between 2 choices and they were both excellent. The sauces were flavorful and full of garlic and goat cheese and we loved the unique addition of almonds in the sauce. Even though the pizza did not look impressive, it was some of the best I have had.

The atmosphere was a cross between a pub and a romantic spot with a bar and a fireplace.

Reviewed 6 February 2018

Upon arriving in Carmel, we ordered a takeaway pizza from this restaurant and took it back to our hotel. When biting into my second slice of pizza, I felt something rather hard. At first, I thought it was a piece of onion, which I then removed. When biting down again, I felt something really hard between my teeth. Upon closer inspection, I discovered a 2-inch screw (nail) within the melted cheese - I was completely shocked & horrified, not to mention distressed by the potential health implications! We immediately returned to the restaurant and were given a refund (still pending). We were offered a free meal but declined. Understandably, we would never feel safe or comfortable eating food from here again. Please see photos for reference.

5  Thank Luvena H
Reviewed 3 January 2018

Not the best pizza--couldn't finish the crust. Maybe they had an off day...but I guess I can compare it to a frozen pie that was cooked in an oven. No complaints about the staff, the food just wasn't very good.