“Wonderful basecamp for our quick trip”

HYATT house San Diego/Carlsbad
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Portland, Oregon
“Wonderful basecamp for our quick trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

My lovely wife and two kiddos, 11F & 8M, decided to take a quick trip to SoCal for a weekend at Legoland and Knotts Berry Farm. Based on the order of events, this was the best place for us to crash.

The staff was wonderful. The room was comfortable and clean. The kitchen was more complete than I was expecting. We decided to eat out the whole trip, but we could have done well eating in.

Even thought it was only 65F outside, my kids still enjoyed the pool. I think the locals must have thought we were nuts, but it hasn't been that warm in Oregon for several months now. The pool was lovely.

The breakfast is reasonable and somewhat typical of what you would find in an extended stay hotel. Not the best I've ever had, but definitely not the worst by any means.

We did take advantage of a free ride to Legoland and back. That saved us $15 in parking.

The staff was very helpful at every step of the way. The property owners should be very proud of their staff. They must be treating them right.

There is a commuter rail line across the street. At first, we could hear it and it was a little annoying. Maybe we were so stinkin' tired or we just got used to it, but we didn't hear it after a short while.

I would stay there again if the location made sense.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank jackjfoley
Summerfield1, General Manager at HYATT house San Diego/Carlsbad, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at our property and find it to be a good basecamp for you and your family. We are happy you enjoyed the hotel amenities, including our complimentary hotel shuttle to Legoland. We strive to provide excellent customer service and I’m happy to hear that we were able to meet your customer service needs and expectations. Our staff works hard and we appreciate each and everyone of them. Thank you for your kind review, we hope you will come back and stay with us again soon.

John Saunders

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

I booked for a 2 night stay to take my son to Legoland. We were quite impressed when we checked in as the staff were helpful and polite. That pretty much ends the good experience.

I woke up the next morning with every traveler's nightmare - bed bug bites on my neck, body and feet. I spoke to front desk and they had their GM to handle the matter. I showed him the bites on my neck area... he called them bumps when they were clearly bites. He kept insisting that their mattresses were new and it was not possible that there were bed bugs and that the room was recently inspected... hello, the evidence was standing right infront of him. He however said that he would send housekeeping to strip the covers and the sheets, replace with clean ones to ensure there were no bugs.

That evening when we got back, which was approximately 8 pm, the GM told me that they had stripped the sheets even the headboard and insisted they found nothing. I requested to move to a new room but he told me they were "fully booked" and had suggested moving me to another hotel - he saw my husband holding my son who was fast asleep - hmmmmm - basically trying to dismiss the issue. I woke up the next morning with fresh bites on the back of my knee and feet.

So much for a clean room and thank goodness we checked out!! The GM left me a voice message when we had already checked out still insisting the room was bug free. I returned the call and left a message that I had fresh bites despite the"cleaning". As disgusting as this may sound, I was scratching the entire trip back home.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank FatDucks
Summerfield1, General Manager at HYATT house San Diego/Carlsbad, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Dear valued guest:

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. During your stay we had our Eco Lab represenative do a full evaluation of your room, and found no trace of bed bugs. We would be happy to provide you with a copy of the full evaluation.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 760.929.8200 x404

CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt Summerfield (now Hyatt House) in Carlsbad for 2 nights recently. The hotel was okay with a comfortable bed and a full kitchen as well as good breakfast selection. However, the service was horrible. We reserved a room with a king bed. When we arrived we noticed that the room had 1 queen bed. We called the front desk and asked for a king room. The person at the front desk started arguing with us claiming that it is a king bed. We looked at the tag on the mattress that clearly said "Queen size" yet the front desk continued to insist that it was a king bed. We went down to the front desk and asked to speak with the manager. The manager came out and continued to argue with us as well and insisted that we were wrong. We asked him to come with us to the room so that we could show him the tag on the bed. He sent another staff member to check our bed who in fact confirmed (rudely) that the bed was a queen size. The manager then told us that they didn't have another room and asked us what we wanted to do. When we said that we wanted the room that we reserved and will call Hyatt Customer Service he suddenly found a king size room. The whole thing took several hours of our vacation time and the nasty attitude of the staff made our stay awkward and uncomfortable. They did not even assist us in switching rooms and at one point refused to give us directions to a restaurant. We will not be staying here again. I did report this to Hyatt Customer Service which resulted in a standard boilerplate apology email from the hotel manager.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank GeminiCa
Dear valued guest:

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. We sincerly apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We strive to meet guests needs while also providing exceptional customer service.

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Hotel is clean, room is spacious. Staff is friendly and helpful. For a business traveller, it is advisable to request the top floor. Agreed with DKHNL, you hear the guest above you. Only a few hours of sleep, since there is constant noise from about 5 AM until past 12 AM. The staff was willing to change my room, but I copuldn't be bothered as I was checking out the next morning. Can't blame the guests, as they may have children - just the sound proofing. The train was much bother. Shopping and restaurants are close by.

Room Tip: Higher floor, if business traveller
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank jenskToronto
Everett, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

My wife and I spent six wonderful and pleasant nights at this hotel located in Carlsbad. This property has undergone a renovation and rebranding as a Hyatt House. The design is oriented towards longer term stays, business travelers and families. This property offers a wide range of amenities and studio and one bedroom suites. This property has interior corridors. What follows is a summary of the key areas of the hotel from my perspective.

Room

We stayed in studio room located on the 2nd floor which included a small kitchen, king bed, sleeper sofa and shower/tub combo. The kitchen located just inside the door included a sink, two burner flat top stove, full size top freezer/refrigerator, small dishwasher, microwave convection oven, toaster and coffee maker. Dishes, silverware, pots and pans are provided. The room had a small desk, breakfast bar, three drawer dresser and large closet. The bathroom has a sink outside of the toilet and shower/tub. There was a 32 inch flat screen TV (with about 24 channels), DVD player and high speed wireless (no wired connection). There is also a box that allows connecting a laptop via HDMI or VGA cable to the TV. Heating/cooling was controlled by programmable thermostat on the wall (just like the kind in many homes). Overall the layout of the room was very functional. There could be a bit more counter space in the kitchen for food prep. The TV could be swiveled to view from the bed or sleeper sofa.

Interior

The hotel has a nice layout inside. It is three stories and there is an elevator. The first floor contains the fitness room, common area, business center, conference room, guest market and front desk. The interior was well maintained.

Exterior

Parking is all surface and there were security cameras in use. The exterior grounds were well maintained.

Amenities

This hotel has an outdoor pool and hot tub. The pool area is fenced and has chairs, chaise lounges and tables with umbrellas. We did not use the pool so I can’t comment on the how warm the water was. The hot tub was great! Great as in it was hot, the way it should be. Pool towels were always well stocked. The pool area faces the west which was perfect for afternoons and evenings. They even had some outdoor speakers playing music though not too loud.

The fitness center was outstanding with top of the line equipment. There were two treadmills and one elliptical, all had television screens. There was also a weight machine, hand weights, and bench. Rounding out the facility was a water cooler and bathroom scale.

The guest laundry (which we used twice) was on the second floor. There were two washers (one front load) and two dryers. Cost was $1.25 each for the washer and dryer and $1.00 for soap. There was a table for folding. The dryers actually dried the clothes. What a concept!

The business center included two computers (with MS Word and Excel) each with their own black and white laser printer. Each compute had a USB to plug in a flash drive. There was also a copy machine.

Dining

This hotel provides a hot breakfast included in the room rate. They rotate through eggs (scrambled or omelets), meat (bacon or sausage), hashbrowns and cinnamon french toast). Cereals included corn flakes, raisin bran, cheerios, fruit loops and frosted flakes. Bread choices were white and wheat, english muffins, bagels along with mini muffins on certain days. There was fresh fruit (apples, bananas and oranges) and cut fruit (melons, pineapple grapes). Beverages included OJ, apple, coffee, tea, skim and 2% milk. Lastly there was yogurt and instant oatmeal (original only). The food was hot and good, though some items could have been refilled a bit faster on Saturday and Sunday when it was busier.

On Monday through Thursday there is a complimentary evening social (5:30-7:00). There is a menu of the night’s food in the room. They rotate through salad, pizza, nachos, and other light fare. There is always a soup. Beverages include beer, wine and soda. The food can be a meal or an appetizer. It was good, but by no means gourmet.

Surrounding area

This hotel is located right off of I-5 (though noise was not an issue) at the exit for Legoland (within a mile). In fact the hotel offers a free shuttle to the park and surrounding area. To the north of the hotel across a main arterial are a gas station/mini mart and two nicer restaurants (which I can’t comment on because we did not patronize them). To the west are railroad tracks for Amtrak and the Coaster, though no station (there’s one in downtown Carlsbad). To the south are numerous office buildings. A state beach is about ¾ mile to the west and is a very easy walk. There is also a city park with playground in the same direction. The area felt safe during the day and night. Downtown Carlsbad is located about a 10 minute drive to the north.

Staff

All of the staff was pleasant, helpful and smiled! We had no problems with customer service. Check-in and check-out was a breeze and efficient.

Bottom Line

We would definitely stay at this hotel if we are in the area. We got a lot of value for the money spent.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Unknown_Traveler
Summerfield1, General Manager at HYATT house San Diego/Carlsbad, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear valued guest:

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on our hotel. We truly value your feedback and the information you provide to us. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at our property and hope to see you again.