“Seafood in the Heart of Carlsbad Village”
Review of Bluewater Grill

Bluewater Grill
Ranked #73 of 369 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Reviewed 1 March 2018

As I was about to retire, some friends from work took me to the Bluewater Grill for a celebratory meal. We all ride the Coaster train together so it was very convenient to walk the block and a half to Bluewater when we got off the train at 1630. I had seen the menu before arriving and was thinking the menu was a little sophisticated for a guy more used to Red Lobster. But I settled on the Fish and Chips and I must say, the fish was excellent with a light flavorful batter. The chips were chips, nothing to get excited about, the Coleslaw was a tad bland for my taste. Our waitress was very gracious and the free bread, very tasty, kept on a coming. My friend had a bar drink called a Mule (never heard of it) that he thought was subpar. But he did not mention it to the waitress. Overall, an OK experience, I would not personally feel the need to go back but if others were going, I would also not mind going back.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

I'm not often taken with a restaurant so strongly that I will come back this soon. The Bluewater Grill was terrific!

Service: very friendly, and efficient with it. Service staff are all very helpful, and the whole atmosphere is both warm and welcoming.

The first time I sat inside the restaurant, the second time on the enclosed outdoor patio, which was very efficiently heated on an evening with a chilly breeze.

The Caesar salad was good, loaded with garlic (which I love) rather than overloaded with creamy dressing as it is in so many places. The second visit I had the wedge salad, which the menu calls a "wee salad." It's not quite that, with two generous wedges of lettuce and loads of toppings. This is almost a meal in itself, especially when combined with the delicious, crusty, flavourful sourdough bread.

For main course, I chose the grilled swordfish both nights, and both servings were grilled to perfection -- cooked through but not at all dried out or overdone. The sautéed spinach was great, and I enjoyed both the scalloped potatoes and the roasted fingerling potatoes.

Who knows when I'll be back in Carlsbad, but when I am this restaurant is going to be my first dinner stop -- guaranteed!

Reviewed 22 February 2018

Our first impression is that the new restaurant looks pretty much like the one it took over to remodel. The ambiance is nice but the acoustics can grow pretty loud in the venue when it fills.

The food was good but really nothing too special - except for the Manhattan Clam Chowder which was exceptional. Perhaps we went with the wrong entrees and sides. I had the Snapper with scallop potatoes, and cole slaw. The Snapper was good - though nothing special, the scallop potatoes seemed undercooked and far too creamy and the cole slaw was routine. My wife fared a bit better with the Shrimp Skewer and side vegetables but still was somewhat under impressed.

Its possible we'll give it a second try but as of now, there are at least a couple of other seafood restaurants we'll likely head to before the Bluewater Grill.

1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

What a pleasant surprise to try a new restaurant and find an extensive menu with creative seafood offerings that actually taste as good as one expects.

We enjoyed a relaxed lunch at a sunny table and found the kitchen staff knows how to prepare a wide variety of offerings...from sanddabs to scrimp and vegetable salad to seared scallops.

And the warm bread (what we left) deserves special note...unusually good texture, flavor and crunch.

Reviewed 21 February 2018

Was our first time there. Place was clean and inviting decor, service was friendly and quick, food was really good. We sat across from bar so we were able to see sporting event on tvs. Bathrooms were clean.... We will return!

Been to Bluewater Grill? Share your experiences!