All reviews railay beach ao nang tuk tuk in house restaurant rent a scooter beach mats night life quiet area four nights street food water pressure krabi airport spacious room low tide ju boats baht
Reviewed 9 March 2018

After I had booked, I found some horror stories of rude staff, mosquitos, no beach, bad food and stray cats. I was very apprehensive but, there were none of these at all!

We did a six week tour of Phuket, the area around Krabi, two islands and back to Phuket. Our average cost per night was £45 so, staying at The Thip for six nights, helped pay some more expensive hotels. We stayed in 13 hotels or apartments and enjoyed every one.

The garden and pool area at the Thip was one of the best (could have a few more sun beds and mattresses - but we always found one). It was a short walk up the road to the beach and the Andamana Beach club, but I loved both. The sand might not be the softest, but, it is certain to be crowd-free and, the shallow sea was so warm and clean. We only had fruit shakes at the beach club but I expect their food would be good. We later found out that, if you set out at low tide, you can go across the road from the Thip and walk up the shoreline - much better but, you might have to leave early.

We didn't hire a bike but went into Ao Nang a few times and loved the trip to Railay. As we were leaving, I noticed that there were quite a few places about a mile away (near the Tesco Lotus) that I would have liked to have checked out - including a shop that sold silk (beam me back please).

We had some very good meals at the Thip - barbecued prawns were brilliant and we also ate at Chilli Pepper down the road You don't have to have the chili there - lovely people will cook just how you like it. They will at the Thip too and, one of the loveliest people I met at all the places we stayed was (at the Thip), the largish lady with the big, kind smile caled On.

When we arrived, we had been allocated a room on the second floor (in Thailand they call that the 3rd) but On suggested that we might prefer just one flight of stairs (cos of other half) so we started in a room at the front and, we found that the beds at the Thip are a lot more comfortable than a lot in Thailand. Advantage of being at the front: you get sun on the balcony in the evenings and in the mornings and can see if the tide is in or out - disadvantage: the traffic on road ouside, mostly bikes that can be so loud but, they do dissapear later so you can sleep fine.

After a few nights, we asked On and were given a room on the other side. Much quieter - but no sun. Hey ho.

Looking back on our holiday, I loved moving about and, for us, the ideal stay (in most places) would be four nights. I am pleased to see there are more good reviews for the Thip - we recommend!

Room Tip: See my review
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

Excellent location and staff were very friendly and helpful to assist with how to get to places. Booked 7 island boat trip and saved 1800 bht booking through the hotel. Hired a scooter for the day through the hotel @ 250 bht with 7 hours traveling around spent 200 bht on fuel to see beautiful places around the island.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2018

We stayed here for 2 weeks at the end of January and it was our second visit after a brief stay last year. I really like this place; it has a nice chilled out vibe, with friendly, smiling staff. The room was comfortable and large, with all the required amenities; a/c, fridge, safe, kettle, hot shower with good water pressure. If you are B&B there is a good choice of set breakfasts and I also recommend the restaurant for evening meals (Thai, pizza & pasta). They also provide pool towels & beach mats, plus you can hire a scooter directly through them. We also had the on site massage which was great.

This hotel is located in Ao Nam Mao which is only a small village and quiet at night. Apart from the hotel the only other restaurant that serves alcohol is the Red Chilli around the corner which cooks up excellent Thai food at a bargain price. There are also a few local Muslim eateries that do cheap snacks and nice shakes, as well as a 24 hour supermarket. The pier is nearby to get to Railey beach. The local beach is a long narrow strip that is beautiful to walk with views out to the islands. There is also a beach club nearby with hammocks & bean bags to lounge about in. For night life Ao Nang is about 10 minutes bus ride away. A late night return tuk tuk is only 200 baht.

The hotel arranged airport transfers for us at 600 baht each way, they also organise ferry tickets if required. Nothing was too much trouble throughout our stay, so a big thank you to Ju and her team x.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MikeSwindon
Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

We originally booked 4 nights, but extended it by 3 nights because we were so happy with our stay. Nice and clean hotel, very helpful staff, nice pool area, good and clean room, nice restaurant with good options for kids and very fair pricing.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 December 2017

I loved this place, so clean and spacious, with a great pool. It's a bit laid back, but I like that. The staff were so friendly and helpful, they even upgraded my room for free! It's quiet here, not in the main busy area of Ao Nang, but right near the pier to take a longboat to Railay Beach if you want to join the masses. Nice restaurant on site with lots of vegetarian options!!! YAY! The wifi isn't great but not bad enough to lower my 5 star rating!

Room Tip: Top floor, pool view is best
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
090903, Manager at Thip Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2017

Dear Mr Doug C
Thank you very much for your review and rating
We appreciate and wish to welcome you again .Please come back to stay with us whenever you come to Krabi .

Best Regards