“very interesting visit!”

Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Campo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This museum runs a vintage train from Campo to the Mexican border. The experience offers open vistas, secluded valleys and spectacular views.
Reviewed 22 August 2016

A fun ride out of San Diego brought us to this desert destination. The man at the ticket counter was very friendly and we purchased our tickets. The train was a diesel locomotive with a caboose. Our ride was quite a bit shorter than we thought it was as they only ran the train a few hundred yards down the tracks at most and then back to the station. I think there was some issue with volunteer staff. My impression was that we would get a 30 minute or so train ride. Kind of disappointing! I would recommend calling ahead to make sure the full train ride is available. As far as the museum, it is really cool and has probably 4 or 5 steam engines in various stages of preservation or falling apart. They had many passenger cars and specialty cars. The most interesting were a pair of wooden passenger cars from 1870's! It is hard to imagine the things those cars have seen! The old time western store was also very cool and you could spend 1 hour there looking at the memorabilia they had. All in all, a very good visit. Very clean restrooms were appreciated!!! All volunteers were happy to answer any questions and were super helpful.

4  Thank Jeffmed91
"tunnel"
in 7 reviews
"haunted"

Reviewed 29 June 2016

Way out in the boonies... maybe an hour or so from San Diego... you aren't likely to stumble over this place... but it is SO worth a visit. Volunteer run... they just keep acquiring more rail items, repairing cars and engines and sharing their enthusiasm. Take a ride... it will be a fun get away...

2  Thank HollyBerryElf
Reviewed 25 May 2016

In the past month, I have been out to this museum twice. It is definitely worth going out of your way to see, as it is out in the San Diego County back country town of Campo.
Price to ride the train was $18, which included admission to the museum. There are kid and senior discounts.
The first time I went, I missed the train ride(they were coming back just as I got there) so I decided I had to come back again, as that is something I really wanted to do.
As you arrive, the ticket office is located in the gift shop, which is adjacent to the lobby that has a movie about the history of the rail line playing.
The indoor display is accessed by walking parallel to the railroad tracks a few hundred yards past several static displays of old rail cars, equipment and even an old concrete telephone booth.
Inside the building you can see the rail car that belonged to the Spreckels family. Next to that is an old locomotive.
On the other side of the building is a beautiful old rail car with lots of nice stained glass, metal and wood work. This was worth the price of admission to see. Coupled to that is an old mail car.
The train ride leaves from the ticket office, and is about 12 miles round trip. This takes a little over an hour.
You pass thru some scenic countryside, cross over hwy 94 and see the border fence at the US/ Mexico border.
The train stops at the border tunnel and returns the same way.
On my ride, there were maybe 8-10 people on board. That made moving about and taking pictures rather easy. The views from the end of the train and the open door box car are the best.
The museum is open only on weekends, and train rides run twice a day.(check their schedule)
Currently they are working to re-open the rail tunnels that would have the train ride turn around in Tecate, Mexico before returning to Campo.
Lots of fun if you are a train buff, or just want to see the backcountry of San Diego. Highly recommend this!

6  Thank Dez40
Reviewed 14 March 2016

As a honest and self confessed Train Nut, I will admit that this may sound bias, however, all my reviews are based on what I actually experienced.

This is out of the way museum should not be missed. Yes, it is off the beaten path, however, this adds to the overall train experience.

It is a 6 mile trip to the Mexican border ( does not cross ) and one of the highlights is the viewing of the border fence.

Another highlight is the opportunity to ride in the cab and blow the train whistle, I was able to experience this and it is wonderful.

There are several pieces of rolling stock as well as a very informative video to see and enjoy.

before you arrive, however, do your research as this train does not run every day.

3  Thank Paul G