“Everything I go ... it gets better!”

Pacific Southwest Railway Museum
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Campo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This museum runs a vintage train from Campo to the Mexican border. The experience offers open vistas, secluded valleys and spectacular views.
Reviewed 29 June 2016

Way out in the boonies... maybe an hour or so from San Diego... you aren't likely to stumble over this place... but it is SO worth a visit. Volunteer run... they just keep acquiring more rail items, repairing cars and engines and sharing their enthusiasm. Take a ride... it will be a fun get away...

2  Thank HollyBerryElf
"tunnel"
in 7 reviews
"haunted"

Reviewed 25 May 2016

In the past month, I have been out to this museum twice. It is definitely worth going out of your way to see, as it is out in the San Diego County back country town of Campo.
Price to ride the train was $18, which included admission to the museum. There are kid and senior discounts.
The first time I went, I missed the train ride(they were coming back just as I got there) so I decided I had to come back again, as that is something I really wanted to do.
As you arrive, the ticket office is located in the gift shop, which is adjacent to the lobby that has a movie about the history of the rail line playing.
The indoor display is accessed by walking parallel to the railroad tracks a few hundred yards past several static displays of old rail cars, equipment and even an old concrete telephone booth.
Inside the building you can see the rail car that belonged to the Spreckels family. Next to that is an old locomotive.
On the other side of the building is a beautiful old rail car with lots of nice stained glass, metal and wood work. This was worth the price of admission to see. Coupled to that is an old mail car.
The train ride leaves from the ticket office, and is about 12 miles round trip. This takes a little over an hour.
You pass thru some scenic countryside, cross over hwy 94 and see the border fence at the US/ Mexico border.
The train stops at the border tunnel and returns the same way.
On my ride, there were maybe 8-10 people on board. That made moving about and taking pictures rather easy. The views from the end of the train and the open door box car are the best.
The museum is open only on weekends, and train rides run twice a day.(check their schedule)
Currently they are working to re-open the rail tunnels that would have the train ride turn around in Tecate, Mexico before returning to Campo.
Lots of fun if you are a train buff, or just want to see the backcountry of San Diego. Highly recommend this!

6  Thank Dez40
Reviewed 14 March 2016

As a honest and self confessed Train Nut, I will admit that this may sound bias, however, all my reviews are based on what I actually experienced.

This is out of the way museum should not be missed. Yes, it is off the beaten path, however, this adds to the overall train experience.

It is a 6 mile trip to the Mexican border ( does not cross ) and one of the highlights is the viewing of the border fence.

Another highlight is the opportunity to ride in the cab and blow the train whistle, I was able to experience this and it is wonderful.

There are several pieces of rolling stock as well as a very informative video to see and enjoy.

before you arrive, however, do your research as this train does not run every day.

3  Thank Paul G
Reviewed 27 February 2016 via mobile

well worth the $5 ticket to view. Friendly and knowledgeable staff...which we understand are all volunteers. Easy to see they have a passion for this project. We drove here on our motorcycles, a great ride with lovely scenery along the way. We did not have time to stay for the 2:30 train ride (we missed the 11 a.m. one) so cannot comment on that. We visited the candy store in Manzanillo and had a great tasting pizza at Manzanillo Diner (highly recommend a stop here) before our trip back to Yuma.

4  Thank Grammy929
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 January 2016

We went out to this museum on January 23rd, 2016. This was not peak tourism season for them, so we got the train ride almost to ourselves. The volunteers were all very nice and knowledgeable about the different trains, and the mounted placards gave more information as well. This place is a good ways out of downtown San Diego (about an hour and fifteen minutes with no traffic) and is down almost within sight of the US/Mexico border fence (the train ride actually stops in a tunnel just on the US side).
If you want to go in December, book as soon as tickets come on sale (August, I think), because they sell out almost instantly (though nowhere near as fast as San Diego ComicCon tickets :] )

3  Thank Frank O