“Awesome!”

Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort
Reviewed 24 July 2017

Tucked away from the main tourist areas on Rincon de la Vieja volcano. Nice casitas set amongst incredible both natural and manicured landscape. The casita we wanted wasn't available, so they offered a 2 for 1 excursion that included a horseback ride to waterfalls, and a most incredible and professionally run Canopy tower. (I have done a number of these, and this one was fantastic!) Towering trees and lush vegetation. Great amenities, best massage room I have ever been in! Incredible natural steam hut, decent hot springs pools (think these could be improved upon) =and mud pots to slather volcanic ash all over your body. Both restaurants were quite good. Service was a little lackadaisical while on site, however, any shortcomings were overcome when Kevin arranged for someone to meet me at the airport with the passport that I left behind. I love Borinquen, and will return. It is the epitome of Pura Vida.

Room Tip: Internet is available in the lobby and restaurants, not the rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 July 2017

We stopped by this hotel as a stop of our Costa Rica and Nicaragua trip. It was in the middle of the rain forest. Beautiful place to stay with little village as two rooms attached to one unit. They have natural hot spring / three diff temp hot tubs.. Lunch and dinner were so delicious. I met the owner of this place during lunch and break fast the next morning. He was a very down-to-earth type of a person. Stood up and shake your hand and spoke English perfectly. What a gem in the middle of the rain forest. Amazing experience with the mud bath/hot spring and food. Pura Vida !

Room Tip: Awesome experience of Costa Rica Rain Forest
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2017

The hotel was a very quiet, isolated, pretty place set on a steep hillside. Stayed as a family of 6, including 4 teenagers, in two of the cottages, which were very spacious. Lots of bugs, though. Husband and son found two scorpions climbing the curtains in their cottage the first night and the housekeeping woman who was sent to help wasn't a great help. Electricity went out once briefly the first night. It went out again three times the second night and I called each time to the front desk though they didn't seem to address the problem until after the third outing, seeming to not remember I called just 10 minutes prior about the same issue. Front desk staff were not very friendly, not interested in answering questions. Also, restaurant service was very, very slow; took a long time to cook the dinners it seemed. Never ate lunch there so not sure if it was the same then. Breakfast never started at the supposed start time of 6:30, which was an issue when we had 7AM pickups for excursions. My dairy allergic daughter was told the chicken fingers and fries were safe for her to eat, which they were the first time she ate them but not the next night, when she felt the tingling sensation indicating an allergen and after which she had an anaphylactic reaction and got violently sick in the shower. Pool was nice, just a long walk from any of the cottages, way at the bottom of the property. Food and drink service by the pool was also incredibly slow as the food is made up the hill at the restaurant, plated and covered in saran wrap and then delivered pool-side, cold by the time delivered. Hot springs for the guests were uninviting and dirty from the mud baths guests were invited to indulge in. Property smelled like the mud baths, like sulphur. And not a lot to do while on the property. Ziplines don't compare, etc, to others. Too isolated for us. Should have stayed at the Hotel Quachipelin, where we did the wonderful four-tour excursion one day and hiked another. Could have avoided the drive from Bourniquen those days if we had stayed there instead.

Room Tip: Stay in the lower cottages - less of a walk.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Katie M
Reviewed 25 June 2017

I loved my stay at the Borinquen! It felt like a true taste of Costa Rica from the rainforest to the food to the people. Our driver from the airport talked us into doing the zip line here instead of at the more “Amercanized” beach resort like we’d originally planned and we were so glad we did. It was amazing! My favorite part was the beautiful horseback ride up the mountain and the short hikes to the waterfalls. Of course, that could have been my favorite part because of my sweet horse, Cambalache and my big crush on the resort’s Costa Rican cowboy, Oscar, haha. Everyone was so friendly, the food was incredible and the bungalow was perfect – views and all. We were wishing we had stayed there longer. Would love to go back one day!

Tip – Our driver stopped at a market for us to pick up some snacks and any other essentials before heading up the mountain which came in handy if we missed a mealtime.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank sunset300300
Reviewed 24 June 2017

I have been a homeowner in CR for 15 years. I rent my home and refer people to the resort on many occasions. I was with my family on my last trip and treated very pooly. The resort double booked my tour and I was left with no options. The manger skipped out and left the poor receptionist to handle it. I have neve seen anything more unprofesiional in all of CR.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Canon de la Vieja Lodge
#5 of 7 in Rincon de La Vieja
33 km away
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Penin...
#1 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
35.8 km away
El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
13.5 km away
Blue River Resort & Hot Springs
Blue River Resort & Hot Springs
#1 of 7 in Rincon de La Vieja

Been to Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!