All reviews golf cart junior suite zip line swim up bar mud bath horseback riding costa rica hot springs steam room natural sauna howler monkeys day trip hot pools couples massage lovely pool rainy season liberia airport
Reviewed 16 October 2014

This hotel is away from everything, 30 good minutes of drive on an unpaved road.
Very calm, of course, and rooms are spacious.

The pool area is excellent, as is the geothermal sauna (a cabin right on top of a geothermal geyser!!!), and the bud bath + super hot thermal pools are very funny.

The Rincon de la Vieja park is one hour drive from the hotel. If you have a car, forget the expensive guided tours and drive yourself to the park. Once there, walking around the forest and the geothermal activities is easy, and extremely interesting. this will easily take your day, and once back to the hotel you will be pleased relaxing in the hot pools.

So far, so good.

But... the service need improvement. No one smile at the reception, not one word of welcome.... Food at the resto is acceptable, but again service extremely poor, if not just rude. Same thing at the spa.... It's a pity, and things can easily improve.

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sidecarural
Reviewed 15 October 2014

We were so excited upon arrival as this place looked amazing and we were taken to our villa by a little buggy. The detached villas look lovely from the outside but inside ours was slightly disappointing as it was quite dark and basic.

The resort is quite hilly but really picturesque. The swimming pool with swim-up bar was really lovely and the natural hot springs from the heat of the volcano were fabulous. There is also a natural sauna and mud bath to make your skin feel amazing.

There are plenty of activities to do. We booked a trip horse riding to the waterfalls - loved this as there was only the two of us and the guide. It rained so heavy on our way back that the guide actually returned us on horseback up the path to our villa!

We also did zip wiring across the canyon - a scary but amazing experience - we even eventually zipped upside down!

Date of stay: May 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue8666
Reviewed 14 October 2014

I went through a deck in the spa area which was rotten, ripping the front of my knee open. This got infected and I needed an operation when I returned to the US and I'm still recovering. The hotel has not responded to any of my emails.

Don't let this happen to you - stay away - go somewhere else.

Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank thedingo
Reviewed 10 October 2014

We drove here from Coco Beach ourselves in a rental - spent $80 pp for the Zipline - which was awesome - 12 lines - highest I have ever been on. The horseback ride (approx 25 minutes) was probably really good but I am quite nervous on a horse so didn't really enjoy that part - which was necessary to get to the Zipline start point. Lunch was quite good and we were able to pre-order from the lunch menu - hubby and I both chose fish and it came with local cheese, soup, the main had fries and a salad and desert. The sauna/mud bath/natural hot spring was not my favorite - the mud was stinky - I thought I was going to fall through the floor in the sauna and the hot spring looked dirty. As previously mentioned the road heading in is rough. Because of the time of year we were pretty much the only people here. Glad I went once - wouldn't do it a second time. Glad this was not our chosen accommodation as first time to CR

Date of stay: October 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2014

Like others, I have mixed reviews about Borinquen. It is VERY remote and hard to get to. Don't think you will be running into town for anything. The resort was nice but we got bored. There is only so much time you can spend at the pool, in the sauna and smearing volcanic mud all over yourselves.

Food was good, but service was somewhat spotty.

Rooms were beautiful, but the hot water heater isn't enough for the 2-person shower or big Jacuzzi tub.

We had mice in our room at night, which freaked me out. The remote control didn't work and they didn't have one to replace it with. (???). I think this resort used to be well-maintained a few years ago, but they seem to be coasting along at this point.

Date of stay: August 2014