All reviews golf cart junior suite zip line swim up bar mud bath horseback riding costa rica hot springs natural sauna howler monkeys day trip hot pools couples massage lovely pool rainy season liberia airport beautiful grounds
Reviewed 10 October 2014

We drove here from Coco Beach ourselves in a rental - spent $80 pp for the Zipline - which was awesome - 12 lines - highest I have ever been on. The horseback ride (approx 25 minutes) was probably really good but I am quite nervous on a horse so didn't really enjoy that part - which was necessary to get to the Zipline start point. Lunch was quite good and we were able to pre-order from the lunch menu - hubby and I both chose fish and it came with local cheese, soup, the main had fries and a salad and desert. The sauna/mud bath/natural hot spring was not my favorite - the mud was stinky - I thought I was going to fall through the floor in the sauna and the hot spring looked dirty. As previously mentioned the road heading in is rough. Because of the time of year we were pretty much the only people here. Glad I went once - wouldn't do it a second time. Glad this was not our chosen accommodation as first time to CR

Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2014

Like others, I have mixed reviews about Borinquen. It is VERY remote and hard to get to. Don't think you will be running into town for anything. The resort was nice but we got bored. There is only so much time you can spend at the pool, in the sauna and smearing volcanic mud all over yourselves.

Food was good, but service was somewhat spotty.

Rooms were beautiful, but the hot water heater isn't enough for the 2-person shower or big Jacuzzi tub.

We had mice in our room at night, which freaked me out. The remote control didn't work and they didn't have one to replace it with. (???). I think this resort used to be well-maintained a few years ago, but they seem to be coasting along at this point.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2014

We stayed here for one night as a part of a tour. The hotel grounds were very nice and well maintained. As it is on the mountain side, you can expect to hear a lot of wild life and insects while you're in your room. We didn't get to enjoy the hotel during the day, but did enjoy the hot springs and mud bath area at night, which was very nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2014

This hotel is amazing, the grounds alone is breathtaking! I stopped at this hotel as a part of a tour I was on (monkey tours costa rica). This hotel is pretty isolated. What you see if what you get, it didn't seem to be anything around for miles and this I liked.If you want complete peace and quiet, this is the place to be. The rooms were fantastic and the mud baths were great but my absolute favorite there was the zip line. We rode horses on a nice relaxing trail to the hipline. It really helped that as a first timer, the first 2 zip lines were mild, low to ground, to set me up for the super high, insane 3rd zip line!! I think if I had seen the 3rd one first (there are 13 in a row to get to back to the hotel) I would have turned around and jumped back on the horses, so its good to start out mild and easy because the one with the best view (waterfall below) and the highest. The zip line guides seemed very knowledgable and professional and this comes in handy when you are putting your life in the hands of strangers. Highly recommend this hotel, its beauty is exquisite!

Room Tip: Don't go without taking a visit to their hot springs and the mud vats. A word of caution, when you get into the hot springs tubs, stay far away from the two open pipes, EXTREMELY hot water is coming out of them. I got burned on the back of my knee.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tyrant37
Reviewed 11 September 2014

My husband & I stayed at Hotel Borinquen after a week in Tamarindo for our son's wedding. It was the icing on the cake for us after a busy week of wedding festivities. We had a wonderful driver who drove us up to the Hotel & took us back in to Liberia after our 2day stay. Our cabin had breath-taking views of the surroundig area- & was super nice. We did ziplining & also took a tour of the farm on ATVs- both were fun & amazing. But the best parts for me were the mud baths & sauna- very very relaxing. I would love to return to this magical place again!

Room Tip: Our cabin was at the top of the hill & had amazing views with wildlife everywhere. It was a big hike up & down but well worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple