“Beautiful scenery”

Private Napa Valley Customized Wine Tour
Ranked #3 of 68 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Perched 300 feet above the town of Calistoga, Sterling Vineyards offers panoramic views of Napa Valley. A unique aerial tram carries visitors up to the hilltop winery, whose iconic architecture was modeled after that of the Greek island of Mykonos, where Sterling founder Peter Newton once lived. The brilliant white stucco stands out dramatically against the rugged Mayacamas and Vaca mountain ranges that flank each side of Napa Valley. Through walkways and balconies, guests take a self-guided tour of Sterling Vineyards’ winemaking facilities. Make your visit to Napa Valley a memorable one with a seated Silver or Platinum Experience featuring exceptional small production reserve wines and food pairings. The extraordinary Mediterranean-style architecture, unique aerial tramway, stunning views, and exceptional tasting experiences make Sterling Vineyards a top destination in Napa Valley.
Reviewed 2 September 2008

We enjoyed ourselves and our visit to Sterling. The views were beautiful and we really liked the tastings. The self-tour was a little confusing in places and I really didn't learn all that much, the scenery, the tram ride and wines themselves made up for it. We went there on a Monday and had no lines at all anywhere, the place was almost empty, I felt like we almost had it to ourselves, and it was a gorgeous day for the views!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,451)

Reviewed 21 July 2008

I like Sterling's wines but not a fan of waiting 30 minutes in line for a silly tram ride which really isn't all that great. Especially on hot days, just let me drive my car up to the winery and get into the a/c. The tasting part is in stages and is a little confusing as to what you can taste in different parts.

Reviewed 13 July 2008

I really like Sterling's wine but found the tasting layout once you get there via their tram to be a little confusing. You can do your own little self guided tour if you want which is what we did but it can be a little confusing as to which direction to head in or what station you might be at if you grab a seat inside or on the patio. However, the people were pretty nice and our guy basically let us taste whatever we wanted. I think the tram up the hill to the winery is an OK change, but the line can get pretty long and I feel they should give people the option to walk up stairs to save time. We waited in line for close to 30 minutes which to me is a waste of time. All in all an OK time.

1  Thank Clarkvara
Reviewed 27 May 2008

The tram wasn't running when we were there, but they still charged $20 to take us up via a van to the vineyard. Would have thought we would have gotten a discount. Nice views were about all that was nice about this winery. Wine was expensive and not all that good we thought.

Reviewed 15 May 2008

The trip up the hill in the gondola is very nice. For 20$, you get the gondola trip, a self guided tour (there are some screens with films and descriptions) and you get to taste 5 wines. I am no wine expert so I cannot really comment on their quality. The vineyard offers something different than other tours we made.