“So happy with choice”

Mount View Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 14 November 2015 via mobile

I had a bad experience with a place next-door. I was extremely upset when I walked in to Mount View spa to ask if they have a room because I had just ran screaming from the "DR" next door. They made me feel like a VIP customer. It couldn't of went easier at check in or check out. How they don't have more stars is beyond me. The place is a boutique hotel with a wonderful spa excellent friendly staff in beautiful grounds. The cleaning staff help me by ironing my clothes for me and worked around my schedule. They really keep that place up to par and beyond.
The desk staff were wonderful, they pointed me in the right direction when I needed assistance at anytime of the day with a smile on their face. I could go on and on but I won't. I hope you get the point that this is well worth the visit. If I could give them more stars I would. I would like to thank the manager in the staff for making this visit a great visit for me

Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank ynotcio
Debbgre, General Manager at Mount View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2015

Dear Ynotcio:

Thank you so much for your review on TripAdvisor. We are so happy to hear that everything worked out for you and we were able to help. It is always a pleasure to hear that our staff goes over and above to create a memorable experience for our guests.

Please do come back and see us soon!

Reviewed 19 October 2015

We stayed in the cottages for our honeymoon last week and enjoyed everything but the bed. The staff was super nice and (continuing a theme) helpful especially I think his name was Matthew. The little cottages include a outdoor bath (bath tub, not hot tub, water changes every time) and there are french doors that open up on to it which is really nice. I do wish they would build up a trellis or screen a little higher as I think some people in the upstairs of the hotel got a couple glimpses of the new wife making naked jaunts out to the tub. They can peep me all they want in my Adonis like glory.

The only knocks, and I understand they are very subjective, are the bed and the massage I got. The bed is a queen and considering that those cottages are likely to house couples, they really need a king in there. Unless there is a height restriction on occupants. I about hip checked the wife to the floor a couple times. The other thing is the massage I got. It was the signature massage (couples massage) and it was pretty weak. The wife says hers was one of the best she has ever had (a guy with a mustache as I recall) but the woman that gave me mine really struggled. I dont know if she was tired from a previous one or what. They were both very nice but out of the 80 min massage she applied pressure maybe 5 mins of it despite my telling her to go to town at the beginning and commenting multiple times about how it hurt so good (this sounds so lascivious when I put it in writing). It was just a very disappointing massage for $180, maybe it was just the one time or maybe it was me not communicating appropriately but thats what Im left with.

We would definitely consider staying there again but despite my loving the little yard space with the cottage, I couldnt do that bed again so we'd have to stay inside. Also, it is pretty pricey (~$400/night) so we'd have to think long and hard about it. The location is great though and the people are good. Our stay was a thumbs up but I'm left with a wandering eye when we head up there again in a couple months.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Debbgre, General Manager at Mount View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2015

Dear Cade P:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your time and your candid feedback.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel for the most part. I appreciate hearing the good and not so good as this is the way we can make changes to our property. We use our guests feedback to make appropriate changes to our hotel.

I do hope that you return (we do have King Suites available in the main hotel). If I can personally assist you in anyway, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Have a great holiday season,

Reviewed 19 October 2015

I stayed at this hotel in early October 2015. While it gets talked up as nice and comfortable, the reality falls short of the hype.

Granted, the hotel is old; however, I have stayed in many old hotels that have been reworked to feel fresh. Sadly, this is not one of them.

My room was "updated" with a few red walls to provide contrast, and ... well ... that's about it. Aside from the red paint, the room was pretty much as it probably was 50 years ago. The bath had no updating, the lighting was very poor, and the carpet was drab.

Good thing the door had a deadbolt because it would not stay closed otherwise.

I found the front desk personnel unfriendly, and totally non responsive to my request to not park the housekeeping cart outside my room. It was there both days of my stay. See attached photo.

All in all it was a disappointment; too bad, because it really does have great potential.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Lou O

Dear Lou O:

We appreciate your feedback, thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We certainly would love all of our guests to leave our property with very positive feedback and I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. I would love to discuss this with you as we continuously upgrade our property. I do hope that you will give me a call and allow us the opportunity to turn this situation around.

Hoping to hear from you soon and wishing you a wonderful holiday season.

Reviewed 17 October 2015

I visited Calistoga for the second time back in March. On my first visit about 15 years ago, I noticed this beautiful hotel and had a dinner at the restaurant (seemingly not the same ones that are independently operating now). This time, I decided to stay in this premise and found the inside of the hotel is much more chic and stylish than I expected. It is amazing that the hotel was built over 100 years ago. We were a group of three and our room was a connecting type. I love the bath room with amenities used in the Spa as well as the breakfast and the welcome bottle wine. Unfortunately, TV sets were not easy to use. We asked help but it did not work (as we are non-US travelers, it was difficult to use highly sophisticated TV service). Overall, I recommend this hotel for good location, romantic feel and amenities (restaurants).

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 October 2015

Great location, walked to everything. excellent customer service. Stayed in one of the cottages, enjoyed the private outdoor tub and patio, paint brushes and easel were a very nice touch and complimentary champagne. Staff was very helpful to make it a pleasant experience and would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mike r
MountViewMgr, General Manager at Mount View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2015

Dear Mike:

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your romantic getaway at the Mount View Hotel & Spa. We appreciate you choosing our property and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Debbie Greene

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
0.5 km away
9.4 km away
Wine Country Inn & Cottages
0.4 km away
Indian Springs Resort and Spa

Been to Mount View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!