“shaken house fries, yum”
Review of Sup

Sup
Ranked #92 of 265 Restaurants in Buena Park
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 9 February 2015

TIP: The parking lot is shared with a supermarket and many other businesses and restaurants, so the number of 2 hour parking spaces are limited. Remember not to park in a 20 minute or 30 minutes space since this is not enough time for you to get your grub. Try to arrive early to find a parking space.

NOTE: The pho here is around $10, slightly more expensive than your average pho.

We came for a weekday lunch. We started with the shaken house fries with sous vide egg, then ordered combo dac biet, shaken pho bac with lamb, lemon grass curry with fried tofu, and finished off with matcha creme brulee. Share the shaken fries since it is gigantic. They were shoestring fries with steak, cheese, and thousand island dressing on it. If you like poutine, give this a try. It is extremely flavorful and comfort food at its best. I guess I am not into poached eggs; I will skip sous vide egg next time and save myself $1.50.

The combo dac biet is traditional pho with brisket, meatballs, tripe, thin noodles in beef broth. This was tasty and what a good pho should taste like. The shaken pho bac is northern Vietnamese pho with wide flat noodles. You can choose what kind of meat you add: short rib, filet mignon, shrimp, soft tofu, fried tofu, top eye round, brisket, lamb, or chicken. They wok-sear your meat with bone marrow oil, garlic, and onions. I usually enjoy lamb so that was what I chose. However, I only enjoy my meat well done and the lamb in my pho came out medium rare, yuk! If you like your meat medium rare, you will be fine. The portions are large and we took home a large amount of leftovers.

The matcha creme brulee was subtle yet infused with tea flavor but not too sweet. It was a nice finish to a overall enjoyable meal. The service was attentive throughout. I look forward to returning. I think I will request for my meat to be well done next time though.

1  Thank Matthew J

Reviewed 23 December 2014

The name of this restaurant conjures up a hip place to be. Is it Soup, or Whatzzup? Depending on where your tastes originate from, it could be either/or, or both. The place is spotless and much of the kitchen/prep area is on display, befitting a bistro that wants to showcase their worthiness.

It was 12:30pm when we got there. I was told they serve pho, but that it was different. I took it to mean that the Pho was not authentic. Still, it was worth a try as I enjoy pho.

No lines, but a steady stream of guests. The staff was great. We were seated at the bar, but when an opening came up, we moved to the regular tables.

The food... well, it depends on your palate. The filet mignon salad was quite tender, but was soaking in its juices. Traditionally, these plates should be dry and not sitting in a pool of beef juice. I liked the taste (mildly sweet beef) and texture but the presentation was off. This was I believe the most expensive dish. Rice is a buck extra.

I've had countless bowls of pho in bastions of Vietnamese cuisine. Santa Ana, San Jose. Santa Ana of course is a stone's throw away. This restaurant has, I think the traditional pho, which I did not try, and also something called 'Shaken'. I tried the Shaken style. It comes with sauteed onions. The flavor is distinctly herbal bordering on medicinal. You don't have to taste it. Just the aroma is earthy akin to some Chinese herbal soup. This seems to be due to the grilling of the onions and of how the broth is made. Basil did not come with the garnishes. Shaken seems to be more of the Northern Vietnamese pho style.

I'm sure some will like the flavor of the 'Shaken' version. But if you're looking for traditional Southern style pho, I would skip it, especially since there is an extra surcharge for this style.

If you're hip, young, a gourmand, and want to impress your date of your worldliness, then try this place. But this place disappoints with its filet mignon and shaken pho. There are so many better choices for authentic pho in So Cal; one need not settle for Whatzzup.

Yes, they do have a kid menu of chicken nuggets and macaroni. Does this tell you anything of its authenticity to Vietnamese cuisine?

2  Thank G S
Reviewed 24 November 2014 via mobile

Have had bad pho in the past. Pho Su O N, shirt rib pho. O M G! House fries must HAVE!! Short rib topped fries. Short rib spring roll. This place is gooood!

1  Thank Padiboys3
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I love a good pho now and again...then there appeared out of the blue this restaurant, the only one of its kind in the US, creating this magical pho literally right down the street from me (I know this for a fact since I just spoke with the owner today; he created this restaurant because he missed homemade pho like his family used to make back home). It's already getting some rave reviews on Yelp and such. I recommend trying their signature pho (it's too much food for me personally - big portions), the truffle fries (yes - so out of place but the chef's philosophy is just to create good food so there you go), and their crab cakes (the best in the west in my opinion). You won't regret it! Definitely worth the trip north on Beach Blvd. if you're ever in the area visiting Knott's Berry Farm or something...my mouth is watering just thinking about their food!