All reviews the kitchen the cottages big bear warm feeling get away this past week family reunion volleyball net office staff large cabin hot tub white christmas great resort great weekend hiking trails living room lisa
Reviewed 17 November 2017 via mobile

It's a great place to go as a couple or with family. Very warm and peaceful. Beautiful location and great staff! Been here 4 times and hoping for many more visits. Beautiful scenery. We went in the slow season and was given a wonderful upgrade without even asking.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ronnie R
LMDU, Manager at Golden Bear Cottages Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

We loved Having you. Please come see us again

Reviewed 10 November 2017

I can't tell you how many times my spouse and I have stayed in Big Bear, but we only book a room at the Golden Bear Cottages. Why! because it is like coming home to your very own vacation cabin. Once we check in, the serenity is second to none. There are many cabins to choose from. I have enjoyed every cabin I have ever had. My most like cabin is the Honey Pot, not sure why, but it is lovely for romantic getaways. It is a family owned and ran business, but the only business they really care about is making you feel as if you are family - you almost never want to leave. I highly recommend any family to stay at the Golden Bear Cottages, it is the best place on the mountain for so many reasons.

Room Tip: You can bring pets, bring them inside at nights; there is wild life in Big Bear. The kitchens are well stocked with what you need to cook.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracylyn S

We love your family. Can’t wait to see you again

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

Just checked out of our cozy cabin that my wife and I️ stayed in for 4 nights. The cabin was quaint and clean. We had all of the necessities plus more. The cabin even had a large Rick fireplace that we enjoyed every evening after dinner. The front office staff was really helpful and gave us great suggestions on where to eat and explore. We will definitely be good my back to Golden Bear Cottages. It is our new favorite spot in the mountains!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Lenny D

Thanks for staying with us. Come back soon

Reviewed 9 November 2017

We booked three nights at this hotel at the beginning of November. I noticed that the rates were very good and the photos of the room we supposedly booked seemed very nice. When we checked in we were given a cabin (number 20) that was in terrible disrepair. This was not what I thought I booked. The cabin is being lifted up by a huge tree just outside the door and the entry and front windows are angled and seem to be ready to collapse. The entry door is hard to open because of the lifting from the tree.The carpet was also filthy and looked like it hadn't been changed in 50 years. The room also had illegal electrical connections everywhere. There were extension cords running all over the unit to accommodate power needs in other rooms. The living room had a small table and a futon. The futon was so uncomfortable it seemed to have no padding at all. I spent most of my time on the bed because there was no other comfortable place to sit. We also killed several spiders in the cabin. The kitchen floor sloped so drastically that the items we put in the refrigerator were leaning to one side. Finally there is a huge hole in the living room floor under the carpet that we tripped on several times. I tolerated all of this the first night because I reasoned that we did not pay a lot for the room. But on the second night we went to the office to complain and ask if we could be moved to another cabin. The attendant said that she could do this but she would have to charge us another 60 dollars per night. Keep in mind that we were the only people staying at this hotel. They had no other guests. So moving us to a better unit would not have impacted anyone else. They simply did not care. I will never stay here again. Cabin 20 is not habitable. It should be condemned by the City of Big Bear Building Dept. It is likely that I will file a complaint with the City.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
LMDU, Manager at Golden Bear Cottages Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2017

This reservation was a deep discount deal where the guest paid $65 per night. She came into the office the second morning of her stay and asked if we had a cabin with a bigger sofa instead of a futon? I told her that I did have a larger cabin and that I would be happy to upgrade her but that she would be responsible for paying for the dog fee for the other cabin. She stated that her husband would not allow her to spend any more money so she would just stay where she was. The cabin that they stayed in definitely does have a huge tree that is growing next to it, however, it does not disrupt the cabin itself. The electrical is perfectly legal, and we do have a few power strips plugged in to give the guests more outlets because the cottages were built in the 60's and there are limited power outlets in the cabin.
Upon check-out, I asked the guests husband if everything was okay with his stay and he said yes it was.
I have attempted to phone the guest 5 times and each time, they have hung the phone up on me. I'd love to speak with the guest and offer them a free night another time for any inconvenience they experienced. I will also send them an email offering this and hoping to make the situation right with them. We wish them well

Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

We stayed here October 27 to 29 together with our friends and stayed in cabin #28. Word of advice Stay away from this property and be very careful when you use your credit card. They will keep using your credit card for bogus charges. Just report to BBB and dispute it to your credit card company. They are rude. They also charges us for game room for $300 not included in our original quote. What game room? Its a garage with 2 board game with no heater. Also carpet was filthy like you are in a mechanics garage all through the property. Also about the extended check out. It was offered to us prior not after and we left 1230 pm anyway. Definitely not coming back. To the owners. Did you notice alot of your bad reviews is because of fraudulent charges. Thats fixable but apparently you are not doing a good job. One word: TERRIBLE

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Roderick C

This, amoungst the other 3 reviews written by this same family, are very strange to me. This group not only had a pool table, poker table, foosball table and a shuffleboard table in the game room, but there is also its own heating system and fireplace and flat screen tv with wifi.
Also..... the group was refunded for the $300 charge for the game room and also refunded the taxes for that as well, as a courtesy because they did not think they should have to have paid for it. The group leader, even after being refunded, disputed the charge with her credit card company. This is really unfortunate, however, we did what was right and we wish the group well.