“Not a good experience”

Golden Bear Cottages Resort
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Big Bear Region
Reviewed 9 November 2017

We booked three nights at this hotel at the beginning of November. I noticed that the rates were very good and the photos of the room we supposedly booked seemed very nice. When we checked in we were given a cabin (number 20) that was in terrible disrepair. This was not what I thought I booked. The cabin is being lifted up by a huge tree just outside the door and the entry and front windows are angled and seem to be ready to collapse. The entry door is hard to open because of the lifting from the tree.The carpet was also filthy and looked like it hadn't been changed in 50 years. The room also had illegal electrical connections everywhere. There were extension cords running all over the unit to accommodate power needs in other rooms. The living room had a small table and a futon. The futon was so uncomfortable it seemed to have no padding at all. I spent most of my time on the bed because there was no other comfortable place to sit. We also killed several spiders in the cabin. The kitchen floor sloped so drastically that the items we put in the refrigerator were leaning to one side. Finally there is a huge hole in the living room floor under the carpet that we tripped on several times. I tolerated all of this the first night because I reasoned that we did not pay a lot for the room. But on the second night we went to the office to complain and ask if we could be moved to another cabin. The attendant said that she could do this but she would have to charge us another 60 dollars per night. Keep in mind that we were the only people staying at this hotel. They had no other guests. So moving us to a better unit would not have impacted anyone else. They simply did not care. I will never stay here again. Cabin 20 is not habitable. It should be condemned by the City of Big Bear Building Dept. It is likely that I will file a complaint with the City.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
LMDU, Manager at Golden Bear Cottages Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2017

This reservation was a deep discount deal where the guest paid $65 per night. She came into the office the second morning of her stay and asked if we had a cabin with a bigger sofa instead of a futon? I told her that I did have a larger cabin and that I would be happy to upgrade her but that she would be responsible for paying for the dog fee for the other cabin. She stated that her husband would not allow her to spend any more money so she would just stay where she was. The cabin that they stayed in definitely does have a huge tree that is growing next to it, however, it does not disrupt the cabin itself. The electrical is perfectly legal, and we do have a few power strips plugged in to give the guests more outlets because the cottages were built in the 60's and there are limited power outlets in the cabin.
Upon check-out, I asked the guests husband if everything was okay with his stay and he said yes it was.
I have attempted to phone the guest 5 times and each time, they have hung the phone up on me. I'd love to speak with the guest and offer them a free night another time for any inconvenience they experienced. I will also send them an email offering this and hoping to make the situation right with them. We wish them well

Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

We stayed here October 27 to 29 together with our friends and stayed in cabin #28. Word of advice Stay away from this property and be very careful when you use your credit card. They will keep using your credit card for bogus charges. Just report to BBB and dispute it to your credit card company. They are rude. They also charges us for game room for $300 not included in our original quote. What game room? Its a garage with 2 board game with no heater. Also carpet was filthy like you are in a mechanics garage all through the property. Also about the extended check out. It was offered to us prior not after and we left 1230 pm anyway. Definitely not coming back. To the owners. Did you notice alot of your bad reviews is because of fraudulent charges. Thats fixable but apparently you are not doing a good job. One word: TERRIBLE

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Roderick C

This, amoungst the other 3 reviews written by this same family, are very strange to me. This group not only had a pool table, poker table, foosball table and a shuffleboard table in the game room, but there is also its own heating system and fireplace and flat screen tv with wifi.
Also..... the group was refunded for the $300 charge for the game room and also refunded the taxes for that as well, as a courtesy because they did not think they should have to have paid for it. The group leader, even after being refunded, disputed the charge with her credit card company. This is really unfortunate, however, we did what was right and we wish the group well.

Reviewed 3 November 2017

We stayed for a five day family vacation at the Golden Bear Cottages resort. During our stay our kids and my wife were in and out of the office and gift shop daily. We got to know the whole staff it seems. Everyone was helpful and attentive to every request. We had to keep going back for the Wi-Fi log-in info because my kids kept loosing it, and they came back to the cabin every time with a smile on their faces saying that the people were so nice. Our cabin #22 had the best beds beds we have ever slept in (better than home). I asked about the beds and the owner said they had just replaced all the queen beds in April with Tempur Pedic mattresses. The appliances were nice, the kitchen amenities were complete and the custom rustic log design furniture belong in a mountain cabin. The maids were efficient and always kept the cabin clean. We had a wonderful and reasonably priced family vacation. Thank you for everything!

Room Tip: The outdoor laundry is closed starting in October. The heated pool closes in late October too, but t...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2017

This place when you walk into the office it is so cozy and there little gift shop is quaint and gives you such a warm feeling, BUT that's where it stops, cabins are run down, beds are uncomfortable, washing machine hasn't worked in 2 months, waterheater went out twice, they did move us to another cabin and compted us a night, which was a nice thing and the right thing to do, I looked at several different places to stay when we stayed there and everyone was 100 times better than this place, I wouldn't go back if they offered it for free, that's how I feel.

Stayed: October 2017
2  Thank Brittany J
LMDU, Manager at Golden Bear Cottages Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2017

This guest was lovely and we had great conversation. When their water heater was not staying hot as long as they would have liked, we turned it up. After still not being satisfied with that solution, we DID offer them an additional night free in a much larger cabin. They accepted the offer and stayed the third night. Upon departure they were so thankful for our accommodation and that we gave them another night free, they stated that they would be writing a great review because they were so pleased. The comment on how they would never stay again even if it were free really perplexed me because they actually DID accept a free night and utilize it. We wish them well and would love to hear any other feedback they may have. This review just threw us off because none of what’s in it is what they expressed to us.

Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

Not recommending this place they lied to us and fraudulently charge us with the game room/garage $300/ day although it was included upon booking when we rented the Manor . We spoke with the owner but he was very rude to my friend .He still did not refund us with the amount he overcharged . Will definitely not going back to this place

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Marjorie E

I spoke with this guest after they checked out because they were questioning why they had to pay for the game room separately. I explained to them that was standard policy when you rent the largest cabin. She said that that was not communicated to her and she wanted a refund. As a courtesy, because she was displeased, I processed a refund to the guests card for the game room and sent her a copy of the refund. I spoke to the guest again today and she stated that when the refund posted she would be removing the review. We also extended a 3pm check out (which normally would cost $150) for free to the guest and her party. I’m sorry that the guest was upset and I hope that she sees that we went over and above to make sure she was satisfied. We wish her well.